Overrated shite attractions

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

The Sphinx in Egypt is the worst hassle I've had at tourist attraction it's 10 times worse than the red fort.My missus ended up basically decking some boy who wouldn't leave her alone and storming back to the bus 

My girlfriend and I took a taxi out to see the pyramids on a horrendously hot day, took one look at tourists getting mobbed and asked the driver to take us to the Mena House where we sat drinking cocktails with air conditioning and a glorious view. Dirt cheap too.

Edited by welshbairn

The Amalfi Coast. What an absolute shitehole. There is nothing to do there, the hotels and restaurants are tired and dated beyond belief and there’s an arrogance there that the hovel like state of the place is “part of the charm”. 

They have shops everywhere selling ceramic tiles and limoncello. Congratulations, you have ceramic tiles and limoncello. I will never go back. 

Capri was ok.

The Amalfi Coast. What an absolute shitehole. There is nothing to do there, the hotels and restaurants are tired and dated beyond belief and there’s an arrogance there that the hovel like state of the place is “part of the charm”. 

They have shops everywhere selling ceramic tiles and limoncello. Congratulations, you have ceramic tiles and limoncello. I will never go back. 
Capri was ok.
Whit !!! You were in the wrong places clearly. Some of the best restaurants in Europe too. Capri imo is the worst of it too. Even Naples itself is total class.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, jagtastic said:

Any pop-up type attraction around Christmas such as Glas-glow or Elfingrove and of course the “continental” markets.

I agree. I actually like the idea of a Christmas market but the reality, in Edinburgh at least, is tacky as f***.

Blackpool in it's entirely. Venice until you get out the main tourist areas, Pisa a total gauntlet to run to see a bog standard town with a tower. An honourable mention for every city in Switzerland. Lovely in the mountains and countryside but pretty boring elsewhere. Also found Prague pretty seedy.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Whit !!! You were in the wrong places clearly. Some of the best restaurants in Europe too. Capri imo is the worst of it too. Even Naples itself is total class.

I stayed in Positano for a week. It’s a dump. So is Amalfi. So is Sorrento. So is Salerno. Naples was borderline ok and on the verge of being in the modern world.

Another vote for Checkpoint Charlie. Most of Berlin is great, that was a complete waste of time. And they were wanting paid a fiver to get a photo with 2 guys dressed up as Soviet guards. Shite.

Blarney Castle was also pish. While I’m at it, throw the entirety of Dublin in there, with the exception of the old prison tour you can do, which was relatively decent. 

13 minutes ago, jagtastic said:

Any pop-up type attraction around Christmas such as Glas-glow or Elfingrove and of course the “continental” markets.

Those markets are just criminal enterprises with poor souls selling absolute tat. How many people really need Native American wood carvings? I have never seen anyone buy that stuff, not even once.

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Another vote for Checkpoint Charlie.

I saw Checkpoint Charlie (from a distance) when it was a functioning check point, and I've seen it in its current role. It's a shite experience but it's all the people who make it shite. They could just knock it down, or fence it off and charge money for an 'interpreted experience,' but that would also be shite.

To me the worst attractions are the shite ones specifically created as attractions, or the dull historical remnants to which a huge entry fee is now charged.

Mannekin Pis and The Little Mermaid aren't really claiming to be what tourists expect them to be.