Overrated shite attractions

The Grand Canyon. My reaction on reaching the viewpoint where everyone is supposed to be awestruck was ‘it’s just a big hole in the ground’. On the flip side, the first time I went to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco was a ‘wow’ moment. I found it to be far more impressive in real life than ever seeing it on TV. The first time I ever went to Times Square in New York was a ‘wow’ moment. Couldn’t take enough night-time photos. Then, very quickly, you realise it is an utter pain in the arse place to be. Ridiculously busy at all times. The tour of Sydney Opera House is seriously un-impressive too. From the outside? Amazing. The inside though is clearly a half-arsed attempt to squeeze a concert hall into a space clearly ill-suited to be a concert hall.

Also agree with whoever said Bondi Beach is shit. Absolutely. Get yourself up to Mona Vale, Dee Why, Narrabeen, right up to Palm Beach (where they film ‘Home & Away’).

Don’t understand the negative views on the Falkirk Wheel or Kelpies. Does exactly what they should. Gives you a place to go for a wander about, sit in the sun, look at something interesting for a bit, brings tourism in, and allows families a place to go where the kids can run about and the adults can get something to eat and drink. With lavvy facilities and decent parking. Boxes ticked at both IMHO.

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Don’t understand the negative views on the Falkirk Wheel or Kelpies. Does exactly what they should. Gives you a place to go for a wander about, sit in the sun, look at something interesting for a bit, brings tourism in, and allows families a place to go where the kids can run about and the adults can get something to eat and drink. With lavvy facilities and decent parking. Boxes ticked at both IMHO.

I'm not sure why you thought this list of utterly beige, pathetic selling points would strengthen the case for the defence for these gubbins 'attractions'.

'Somewhere to walk about' and 'decent parking' FFS. 

mourinho-jose-mourinho.gif.4ffcca5a2c8ef4e6b4a7d11893a502dc.gif

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm not sure why you thought this list of utterly beige, pathetic selling points would strengthen the case for the defence for these gubbins 'attractions'.

'Somewhere to walk about' and 'decent parking' FFS. 

mourinho-jose-mourinho.gif.4ffcca5a2c8ef4e6b4a7d11893a502dc.gif

Well, it’s a town in Scotland that isn’t an ‘A’ list town for visitors, like Edinburgh, Glasgow, or even St Andrews. Yet, Falkirk has not one, but two, more than decent visitor attractions that bring tourism to their ‘normal wee Scottish type town’. Yes, having a decent place to eat, go for a walk about, and park is a plus point. Never mind the big horses and the fancy-dan revolving boat carrying machine themselves.

If you cannot accept that they are plus points for tourism in an otherwise ‘ordinary’ Scottish town, then fair enough. Stick to Greenock, and, erm, well, the view from Lyall Hill on a clear day is indeed fabulous.

Edited by pozbaird

25 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

The Natural History Museum in New York as well. It’s a shithole. The Met is about a billion times better.

I was there a few years ago and I found it a bit underwhelming too. I suppose that was due the crowds and general dark atmosphere of the building itself.

7 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Can I nominate the entire city of Paris?  I am not sure how a place that smells so much like piss can be considered romantic

I'd like to expand the radius to France as whole. 

An utter shitheap.

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

The Red Fort in Delhi, hassled whole time I was there and it was meh.

The Sphinx in Egypt is the worst hassle I've had at tourist attraction it's 10 times worse than the red fort.My missus ended up basically decking some boy who wouldn't leave her alone and storming back to the bus 

10 hours ago, Gnash said:

The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen.  Small, crap and situated in what appears to be an industrial estate.

Wait, what? The Little Mermaid is 'small'? If only there was some clue in the title!

And nah, it's on the waterfront, right next to the Kastellet.

I was on my holidays in the ancient kingdom of Central today. 
The wife persuaded me to go to the Kelpies and the Helix Park. Absolute shite. The Kelpies are impressive from the road but the rest of the place is a swamp bound by dual carriageways and under electric pylons- fucking grim.
To prove I'm not just down on other places the V&A in Dundee is utterly shite. Lovely to look at but f**k all inside.
In foreign climes I'll go statue of liberty. Like the Kelpies - impressive from afar but visiting close up does f**k all for it. 
Agree about the V&A - looks great on the outside but really badly underutilised on the inside - the McManus is a better museum.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Can I nominate the entire city of Paris?  I am not sure how a place that smells so much like piss can be considered romantic

Not a fan of the old water sports?

45 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Heineken is utter shite.

FTFY 

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

The Red Fort in Delhi, hassled whole time I was there and it was meh.

Got to the outer bit, saw all the likely nonsense going on inside and though, f**k that, it’s a lump of sandstone. Plenty of that back home. Went to Humayuns tomb and India Gate instead and bought a wee windmill.

Some outrageously curmudgeonly takes on this thread.  

Paris is beautiful and I will square go the poster who decried Kelvingrove. 

Loch Ness. Not even in the top 20 lochs in Scotland, but wildly popular due to the rarely sighted beasty.

The great pyramids at Giza were very impressive from the outside. If you go inside, you can't wait to get back out of them.

Hardly any air in there, almost like it wasn't designed for the living at all.

I wasn't that impressed from the outside either - but possibly due to the harrrasment tourists get as soon as they walk off their bus - not helped either by Tourist Police on the take.

We had one Tourist copper offer kindly (so we thought at first) to take a photograph of us ' until he put his hand out looking for money to do it.

The Sphinx in Egypt is the worst hassle I've had at tourist attraction it's 10 times worse than the red fort.My missus ended up basically decking some boy who wouldn't leave her alone and storming back to the bus 
Quite glad I timed my Middle East trip with the Arab spring. Only a handful of tourists at Giza or Petra and I had Palmyra to myself.

I think a lot of people in this thread have their expectations too high. What were they expecting from The Little Mermaid or Central Park?