Overrated shite attractions

4 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Anyone who goes to London and spends money on these attractions clearly hasn't done their research, you could spend a whole weekend there and just about see all the science museum.

Underrated great attractions thread for this pish though.

I mind the Planetarium being a good day out too, although I see it's now used for some Marvel thing  <_<

The Alamo is in downtown San Antonio and fairly close to a shopping centre.  There are ice cream vendors nearby as well as a Madame Tussauds and a Ripley's Believe or not.  As well as its location, it is surprisingly small.

Like most places with a massive queue, it is not really worth the wait.  Fortunately I was once there when the queue was tiny so I went in.

On 05/10/2021 at 19:14, 8MileBU said:

Absolute nonsense.

As much as London is a fantastic place with endless amounts to do it’d maybe just scrape into my top 5. In no particular order:

NYC.

Toronto.

Berlin.

London.

Rome……

In Toronto, the streets are defined as West or East according to whether they are West or East of Yonge Street, yet downtown Yonge Street is a sleazy dump and has been for decades.

On 02/10/2021 at 09:33, pozbaird said:

The Grand Canyon. My reaction on reaching the viewpoint where everyone is supposed to be awestruck was ‘it’s just a big hole in the ground’.

Don’t understand the negative views on the Falkirk Wheel or Kelpies. Does exactly what they should. Gives you a place to go for a wander about, sit in the sun, look at something interesting for a bit, brings tourism in, and allows families a place to go where the kids can run about and the adults can get something to eat and drink. With lavvy facilities and decent parking. Boxes ticked at both IMHO.

In its defence the Grand Canyon does have ample parking and plenty of space to go for a wander about or sit in the sun.

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

In its defence the Grand Canyon does have ample parking and plenty of space to go for a wander about or sit in the sun.

Yeah, true,mso by my own standard, a world class tourist attraction. 😃

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I mind the Planetarium being a good day out too, although I see it's now used for some Marvel thing  <_<

Which reminds me of the great name of the Gillingham fanzine:

"Brian Moore's head looks uncannily like the London Planetarium"

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Which reminds me of the great name of the Gillingham fanzine:

"Brian Moore's head looks uncannily like the London Planetarium"

Probably the most famous of the old fanzines purely due to the name.

There's bound to be a repository of scanned fanzines somewhere. It would be a shame if they disappeared, as it was such a huge thing in the Eighties.

Probably the most famous of the old fanzines purely due to the name.
There's bound to be a repository of scanned fanzines somewhere. It would be a shame if they disappeared, as it was such a huge thing in the Eighties.
They were brilliant. Most Dundee fans recall "Eh Mind o' Gillie" but my favourite was "It's half past four and we're 2-0 down". Groucho's record shop used to sell a whole range of them from various club's fans. Great days

They were brilliant. Most Dundee fans recall "Eh Mind o' Gillie" but my favourite was "It's half past four and we're 2-0 down". Groucho's record shop used to sell a whole range of them from various club's fans. Great days
We should probably resurrect "It's half past four and we're 2-0 down" the way we're playing right now . . .

10 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

We should probably resurrect "It's half past four and we're 2-0 down" the way we're playing right now . . .

If it’s half past four and you’re 2-0 down against Aberdeen in a couple of weeks you really will be in trouble.

I pretty much hate all theme parks and fairgrounds. I get bored insanely quickly and apart from eating hot-dogs they do little for me.  I quite like a go on a roller-coaster I suppose, but not enough to have to travel and queue etc.

I also get bored after about 20 seconds of any firework display.

40 minutes ago, milton75 said:

I pretty much hate all theme parks and fairgrounds. I get bored insanely quickly and apart from eating hot-dogs they do little for me.  I quite like a go on a roller-coaster I suppose, but not enough to have to travel and queue etc.

I also get bored after about 20 seconds of any firework display.

I'll give you Firework displays, entertaining for about a minute max 

56 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I'll give you Firework displays, entertaining for about a minute max 

You would have loved the Oban fireworks in 2011.  They accidentally set off the whole lot in one go and the show lasted 50 seconds.

14 hours ago, Fullerene said:

You would have loved the Oban fireworks in 2011.  They accidentally set off the whole lot in one go and the show lasted 50 seconds.

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Best display ever...

Now that was class