Overrated shite attractions

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

What was the name of the near-vertical flume there?

Had nothing on the Dundee Cannonball though.

Think one was called rapid something and another might have been called vortex?  No clue tbh even after spending I don’t know how many weekends going down those flumes f**k knows how many times.

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Think one was called rapid something and another might have been called vortex? 

May have been, but not the one I'm thinking of (although it may have been renamed of course).  Was pretty much free-fall for much of it, although this was back in the 90s. 

Eta: I remember now:  it was called the 'Stingray'.  A rather short-lived experience, but brutal if you went down with the wrong posture.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I went to London Zoo in the mid-Nineties, right around the time they were about to be shut down and were shipping animals out to other places in preparation. Obviously there were plenty of empty enclosures, but the worst part was that they had a couple of animals that were doing the thousand-yard-stare, swaying-on-the-spot thing that creatures in captivity do when they've lost their mind from lack of stimulation. Quite distressing.

Long time ago, though. You'd hope a lot will have changed since then.

I went to Barcelona Zoo twenty years ago. The famous albino gorilla had just snuffed it so didn't see him. There was an obviously stir crazy tiger that was just pacing up and down which was quite sad.

The male lion was ok. The King of the Beasts was just chilling and licking its balls like some old Tom cat in front of a fire.

There was a sort of Highland wildlife park up near Inveraray years ago. I remember seeing a miserable looking wallaby and a small peacock in the drizzle while lots of midges circled about.

9 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

May have been, but not the one I'm thinking of (although it may have been renamed of course).  Was pretty much free-fall for much of it, although this was back in the 90s. 

Eta: I remember now:  it was called the 'Stingray'.  A rather short-lived experience, but brutal if you went down with the wrong posture.

Aye, the stingray - guaranteed concussion from the corner at the bottom 

Just now, tamthebam said:

There was an obviously stir crazy tiger that was just pacing up and down which was quite sad.

I saw the same thing with a lynx at the Scottish Deer Centre last week. You could see the scar in the grass from where it had been continuously pacing back and forward along a line 3-4m wide, right beside the edge of the pen (may as well call it a giant cage).

13 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm sure daft neds used to go down it backwards to show how hard they were to their mates

On 02/10/2021 at 20:59, Paul Kersey said:

Is Paps nightclub in Cumbernauld still open?

I always fancied a night out in there, just to see if it's as bad as I imagine.

It closed for ages then reopened under new management but wasn’t open for long before the pandemic. Doubt very much it’s survived.  

Disagree with the poster saying the Amalfi Coast in its entirety, had a great holiday there a few years back. Pompeii was absolutely shite, though, IMO. 

1 minute ago, ScottR96 said:

It closed for ages then reopened under new management but wasn’t open for long before the pandemic. Doubt very much it’s survived.  

Disagree with the poster saying the Amalfi Coast in its entirety, had a great holiday there a few years back. Pompeii was absolutely shite, though, IMO. 

You’re at it. 😂

One of the most amazing places I’ve ever been.

On 06/10/2021 at 06:15, Arabdownunder said:

Has Madam Tussaud's had a mention? Completely pointless idea. Just shite.

I once went past one in Nashville that is exclusively heroes of Country and Western music.

I have no idea what it is like inside and hopefully never will.

8 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Milla Jovovich.  Never understood it, even as a teenager in the late 90s.

Whoa! Hey now, I'm not having that. I saw the fifth element and was hooked. 

Maybe there should be a "attractive women you don't fancy" thread in NSFW

23 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Whoa! Hey now, I'm not having that. I saw the fifth element and was hooked. 

Maybe there should be a "attractive women you don't fancy" thread in NSFW

It's been done. .

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/222960-good-lookin-wummin-ye-widnae-pump/#comments

16 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Upton Park was one of my favourite grounds to go to,so compact and always a passionate crowd. If I hadn’t lived at the other side of The Smoke I may have gone there more. I do remember going to a league cup game in the late 80s against Liverpool that they won either 4-0 or 4-1. Paul Ince played a blinder for West Ham that night and the atmosphere was rocking. I used to like that quirky box/shelf terrace they had in the corner of the north bank.

WhuVLiv will be the one! 

Thanks for those West Ham memories at the Boleyn Ground | Newham Recorder

Think Health & Safety would have a fit if that was still around. 

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I went to Barcelona Zoo twenty years ago. The famous albino gorilla had just snuffed it so didn't see him. There was an obviously stir crazy tiger that was just pacing up and down which was quite sad.

The male lion was ok. The King of the Beasts was just chilling and licking its balls like some old Tom cat in front of a fire.

There was a sort of Highland wildlife park up near Inveraray years ago. I remember seeing a miserable looking wallaby and a small peacock in the drizzle while lots of midges circled about.

When Calderpark Zoo finished it only had dogs and crows.