Overrated shite attractions

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Absolute nonsense.

As much as London is a fantastic place with endless amounts to do it’d maybe just scrape into my top 5. In no particular order:

NYC.

Toronto.

Berlin.

London.

Rome……

I wouldn't call it overrated and I enjoyed my trip there, but I thought that one visit to Toronto was probably enough.  

58 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:
As much as London is a fantastic place with endless amounts to do it’d maybe just scrape into my top 5. In no particular order:
NYC.
Toronto.
Berlin.
London.
Rome……
The latter brings me to my point. The Vatican is the peak of overrated shite attractions IMO. An interesting first 10 minutes or so was had then it just became a load of utterly boring or just plain disturbing tapestries followed by more tedious pish whilst crammed into room after room and corridor after corridor with far too many people in the one place.

To be fair to the Vatican, it's primary function isn't to be a tourist attraction.

Actually....

In the Middle Ages places like The Vatican, Santiago de Compostela, Canterbury and even your local places like St Andrews Cathedral and Dunfermline Abbey were meant to be tourist attractions, although tourists were called "pilgrims".

The idea was if you went to pray at the shrine of a Saint, for example St Margaret in Dunfermline, you got an amount of time off your spell in Purgatory. The more important the Saint the more time you got off hence travelling to Santiago de Compostela was popular as St James was a main Saint

In the late 13th Century the Pope was feeling a bit skint so he declared 1300 a "Jubilee" year. Visit Rome and you got 1000 years off your spell in Purgatory. So the tourists/pilgrims all flocked to Rome and donated their money to the Church while they were there. This jubilee was meant to be a once in a millennium thing but later Popes found it a good way to raise money so they started happening every few years like a Rangers share issue.

Edited by tamthebam

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

later Popes found it a good way to raise money so they started happening every few years like a Rangers share issue.

That has to be the most inappropriate simile ever.

22 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Carthage in Tunisia.

Went on a bus tour about 25 years ago to Sidi bou said and it took in some "sights" on the way.

Looking at a pile of rubble from a road 50 metres away isn't an attraction

To be honest the whole of Tunisia is a dump

bread-helmet-007.jpg?width=300&quality=4

How dare you!

5 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:

emoji848.pngemoji2357.png

Hahaha, good point, geography fail there, should of course be major cities and not capitals. 

Closer to home Beatrix Potter museum in the lake district, went with the other half to Windermere a couple of years ago and went there to pass some time during the day as she liked the Beatrix Potter books as a child. 

Bought a map of it at reception as they made it look massive from the outside. We were in and out in 15 minutes and that was with me taking as much time as possible. Cost about £25 in total. Probably falls under overpriced rather than overrated though. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Absolute nonsense.

NYC.

Toronto.

Berlin.

London.

Rome……

The latter brings me to my point. The Vatican is the peak of overrated shite attractions IMO. An interesting first 10 minutes or so was had then it just became a load of utterly boring or just plain disturbing tapestries followed by more tedious pish whilst crammed into room after room and corridor after corridor with far too many people in the one place.

I presume you mean The Vatican museum ? 

I know what you mean. Narrow corridors and a bazillion people. However, there's a lot of amazing stuff in there, it's just that you shuffle past everything very quickly trying to find space.

But....The Sistine chapel at the end of it is worth all the hassle. One of the most stunning rooms you'll see anywhere in the world. 

On 05/10/2021 at 08:25, Hedgecutter said:

FWIW, I've always liked how the Berlin TV tower, which was originally built to show off communist power in East Germany (as you can see it all over the city), now has a Starbucks at the base of it.

Had a smashing dinner at a Vietnamese place underneath it. That was definitely not an overrated attraction. 

On Berlin I couldn't tell you whether the Bundestag is worth going to as when I went past the queue to get in was enormous and I wasn't wasting hours of my few days there waiting on it. 

As for Sagrada Familia, I thought it was fascinating. We caught it on an early morning as the sun came through the stained glass windows and it was beautiful. Also a wander round cathedrals is smashing when it's roasting because they are always cool inside. 

Parc Güell is fine for a walk around but don't pay for the closed off bit. It's just rammed with folk fighting over places to take a selfie and tbh you get a better view over the city if you just walk up the hill at the back of it.