Overrated shite attractions

1 hour ago, placidcasual said:

Imagine someone not enjoying a particular city 😂

In my defence, we were there in February. It was baltic, it took me a day or two to figure out the trams and we'd to split the holiday between two hotels cos Easyjet. Probably a remnant of it being divvied up post ww2 but it felt like there was no sort of city centre.

Ach it was just a wee joke, each to their own really but I've been to Berlin 3 times and absolutely loved it every time. 

Thought Rio was the most overrated place I've been, was far more expensive than I thought it would be for food and drink, and felt rough as f**k even compared to the other South American capitals (I loved Buenos Aires and Montevideo). The Jesus statue is obviously a massive tourist trap but looks better from a distance than up close. 

6 hours ago, GordonD said:

I was on that tour several years ago. The illusion was somewhat shattered when one of the group had a panic attack and the guide reached into her 16th century skirts and brought out a walkie-talkie to get somebody to come down and take the person up to ground level.

If it was about 2003/2004 then that was possibly my then girlfriend. 

Got about 5 mins in and started on that the air was weird and had a full blown meltdown 

Fun times

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Any city is a bit random if you'll have a good time on a first visit. Thought London was a shithole full of overpriced rip offs until I lived there for a while and learnt where to go.

If you go on Tripadvisor and read about people's experiences in any city you've known as a resident, they mostly seem to spend their time in the most gash places around.

A few heritagey ones. 

New Lanark World Heritage Site - a tacky hotel and some derelict houses. 

Antonine Wall World Heritage Site - when one of the best bits of a site is in Bo'Ness, you know you're in trouble. 

The Astronomical Clock in Prague - I got a tour of the inside of it many years ago. The inner workings were impressive but if it weren't part of the event I was attending I wouldn't have bothered.

Tower of London - I really didn't get the fuss. Very functional looking place.

Finally a non-heritage one -  the worst of all was Ridley's Believe It Or Not in Blackpool - in and out in 10 minutes. Really no fun at all.  

On 03/10/2021 at 12:31, Thorongil said:

All music festivals. I’d rather be set alight than attend one.

I've never been to one, but everything I've seen makes me think I'd rather spend a weekend being waterboarded.

1 hour ago, weirdcal said:

If it was about 2003/2004 then that was possibly my then girlfriend. 

Got about 5 mins in and started on that the air was weird and had a full blown meltdown 

Fun times

The guide said it wasn't an uncommon occurrence. I think when it happens they try to play up the 'haunted' aspect and claim that the person must have been sensitive.

See the folk nominating various stadium tours, did you go to these as an adult for your own personal enjoyment? Stadium tours are for weans to see where Messi gets changed, not for adults to learn anything decent. I was taken round Old Trafford as a wee boy when Cantona was at Man Utd and I loved it, but I can't imagine being shown the room where Cantona warmed up was very interesting for my dad, who was probably just trying to make sure I didn't break anything. Always found it weird when adults post pictures of themselves at the Nou Camp next to the Champions League trophy or whatever, it just screams VL. 

I'd have to disagree here. Football stadiums are often really impressive pieces of architecture and tours are the only way to see them if there's not a game on. Most of them come with at least some sort of museum about the club and its history which I think can be good for helping you understand a club and even a city better. I've been to a few when I've been on holiday to football cities and generally found them interesting if a wee bit expensive in some places.

On 03/10/2021 at 22:46, mr_malcolm said:

New York & London. Two shiteholes

Absolute nonsense.

On 04/10/2021 at 08:16, MONKMAN said:

Arguably the two best cities on the planet.  If you cant find things to enjoy in either of those two, then there's something seriously wrong (with you more than likely).

As much as London is a fantastic place with endless amounts to do it’d maybe just scrape into my top 5. In no particular order:

NYC.

Toronto.

Berlin.

London.

Rome……

The latter brings me to my point. The Vatican is the peak of overrated shite attractions IMO. An interesting first 10 minutes or so was had then it just became a load of utterly boring or just plain disturbing tapestries followed by more tedious pish whilst crammed into room after room and corridor after corridor with far too many people in the one place.

Edited by 8MileBU

17 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

corridor after corridor with far too many people in the one place.

That applies to every tourist attraction on the planet. To get into the Vatican you should have to prove a lifelong interest in disturbing tapestries rather than just hoping to get a peek at where the Pope takes a shite.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

A few heritagey ones. 

New Lanark World Heritage Site - a tacky hotel and some derelict houses. 

Antonine Wall World Heritage Site - when one of the best bits of a site is in Bo'Ness, you know you're in trouble. 

The Astronomical Clock in Prague - I got a tour of the inside of it many years ago. The inner workings were impressive but if it weren't part of the event I was attending I wouldn't have bothered.

Tower of London - I really didn't get the fuss. Very functional looking place.

Finally a non-heritage one -  the worst of all was Ridley's Believe It Or Not in Blackpool - in and out in 10 minutes. Really no fun at all.  

New Lanark is the shitest thing in the world.

And if it isn't, it's definitely in the top 5

27 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

The Vatican is the peak of overrated shite attractions IMO.

I’d exclude St Peters from that given that it’s free, it’s so vast that crowds aren’t an issue, and it’s fucking insane. Well worth a look if you’re in Rome.

6E4BA2D2-DA7D-47F3-B402-0CC7A77D4DD5.jpeg

Edited by Duszek
Edit

9 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

Sydney opera house for me was underwhelming. It's iconic and all that, but was smaller than I expected irl, and looked like it needed a proper clean in the outside. Nice (if dated) inside mind.
I was much more impressed by Sydney Harbour Bridge opposite, but then I'm #engineer4lyf rather than architect.

I think it just looks like that, I saw it in 2008 and it looked in dire need of a good scrub

As much as London is a fantastic place with endless amounts to do it’d maybe just scrape into my top 5. In no particular order:
NYC.
Toronto.
Berlin.
London.
Rome……
The latter brings me to my point. The Vatican is the peak of overrated shite attractions IMO. An interesting first 10 minutes or so was had then it just became a load of utterly boring or just plain disturbing tapestries followed by more tedious pish whilst crammed into room after room and corridor after corridor with far too many people in the one place.
To be fair to the Vatican, it's primary function isn't to be a tourist attraction.

6 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:
NYC.
Toronto.
Berlin.
London.
Rome……

To be fair to the Vatican, it's primary function isn't to be a tourist attraction.

Correct. It’s a Celtic supporters club.