Overrated shite attractions

I was on that tour several years ago. The illusion was somewhat shattered when one of the group had a panic attack and the guide reached into her 16th century skirts and brought out a walkie-talkie to get somebody to come down and take the person up to ground level.
She should have administered leaches, or maybe just general blood letting

7 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:
2 hours ago, GordonD said:
I was on that tour several years ago. The illusion was somewhat shattered when one of the group had a panic attack and the guide reached into her 16th century skirts and brought out a walkie-talkie to get somebody to come down and take the person up to ground level.

She should have administered leaches, or maybe just general blood letting

These trendy modern medical theories about balancing the humours and whatnot will never catch on. It was obviously daemons and she should have been burnt or drowned. 

4 hours ago, GordonD said:

Should have taken out a corkscrew and drilled into their head (to let the bad demons out) for a more authentic Medieval Scottish vibe.  One of those little gambles that will leave you getting either a 5* review for authenticity, or 1* for brain damage.

Edited by Hedgecutter

As for Berlin attractions, I was disappointed with the East Side Gallery. Sure, the Berlin wall is interesting and it's good to see where it was, but most of the artwork on it isn't up to much. There's far better street art scattered throughout Kreuzberg and Freidrichshain. 

Someone mentioned the Astronomical clock in Prague and yeah, the wee procession on the hour is totally underwhelming.

However, having watched a youtube video on how to read it, it tells the current time plus three other archaic time systems, what time the sun will rise and set, the phases of the moon, what sign of the zodiac we're under and the current date of the year.

Pretty clever for something constructed in the 15th century.

8 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Someone mentioned the Astronomical clock in Prague and yeah, the wee procession on the hour is totally underwhelming.

However, having watched a youtube video on how to read it, it tells the current time plus three other archaic time systems, what time the sun will rise and set, the phases of the moon, what sign of the zodiac we're under and the current date of the year.

Pretty clever for something constructed in the 15th century.

Whenever any one mentions it I think "astronomical cock". I'm the same with the Large Hard on Collider.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

I'm disappointed they never mention Mary's Spanish husband Juan. 

52 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

I thought Berlin in its entirety was shite, wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

I found it fascinating, although largely because of insights from walking tour guides (was pretty much just myself and my other half on them because it was a quiet time).  I'm not really a 'city break person' as I can get bored rather quickly after a couple of days once the main sights, architecture of the centres etc wears off, but Berlin and NY were the exceptions in that I'd happily go back to see more.

As for shite attractions, I'd also like to nominate ice bars.  >€20 admission to be given a maximum of 20 mins of drinking time around folk who are only interested in getting pictures taken of themselves.  If you enjoy the experience, then visit the Aberdeen beer gardens for free.

Additionally, never bother with the Blue Lagoon in Iceland.  It's nothing but an outflow pool for the neighbouring geothermal power station.  If you think it's a natural pond heated by some volcano below it, think again.  Also, the silica floor you walk over is full of other people's hair.  You can save yourselves hassle by crouching in a hot bath instead.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Guest Bob Mahelp
31 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

I thought Berlin in its entirety was shite, wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

That's up there on this thread with the guy who thought the Grand Canyon was a bit pish. 

😉

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

As for shite attractions, I'd also like to nominate ice bars.  >€20 admission to be given a maximum of 20 mins of drinking time around folk who are only interested in getting pictures taken of themselves.

I've never understood the appeal of them, ice hotels too. Come and sit in a seat that we need to give you special clothes for and drink up quickly or you'll get hypothermia. To hear that you need to pay an admission price too, f**k sake. 

Imagine someone not enjoying a particular city 😂

In my defence, we were there in February. It was baltic, it took me a day or two to figure out the trams and we'd to split the holiday between two hotels cos Easyjet. Probably a remnant of it being divvied up post ww2 but it felt like there was no sort of city centre.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

These trendy modern medical theories about balancing the humours and whatnot will never catch on. It was obviously daemons and she should have been burnt or drowned. 

Reported for sexism. Why do you assume it was a woman who had the panic attack?

59 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

Imagine someone not enjoying a particular city 😂

In my defence, we were there in February. It was baltic, it took me a day or two to figure out the trams and we'd to split the holiday between two hotels cos Easyjet. Probably a remnant of it being divvied up post ww2 but it felt like there was no sort of city centre.

Any city is a bit random if you'll have a good time on a first visit. Thought London was a shithole full of overpriced rip offs until I lived there for a while and learnt where to go.