Overrated shite attractions

On 02/10/2021 at 12:23, Suspect Device said:

The Mona Lisa is shite.

Correct, it's shite. Turn around and look the other way, as directly behind you is the The Wedding Feast at Cana, a 20ft high masterpiece by Veronese.

ETA... Niagara falls is a shithole of a town, Niagara-on-the-lake is a stunning little town though.

Edited by MONKMAN

18 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

+1 for the Mona Lisa. There are loads of significantly more impressive works in the halls leading to that shitty A4 sized doodle in the perspex box.

Not a fan of the Riverside Museum in Glasgow, it's probably a better building but a shitter museum than the old Transport Museum.

I'd also add Edinburgh to the list.

I agree about that Riverside Museum. It annoys me. I liked the old one at Kevin all better, and I'm old enough to remember he one at the Tramway which was also good. The new one has done a good job with the mocked-up old street, but there's loads of stuff up on the walls that you can't see properly, and everything is jumbled in together. They should have trains in one place, bikes in another, etc. Everything feels crammed in, which given that they had carte blanche to make it as big as it needed to be is totally ridiculous.

3 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Edinburgh Zoo used to be great. They had the hilltop trailer so that you could enjoy walking down the hill rather than being completely fucked walking up it. They had plenty of demonstrations. They had the lorikeets that you could hand feed.

Then they got the pandas.

2 useless lumps that spend their day sleeping and not fucking. Honestly, they're vegetarian bears. What kind of bear is a fucking vegetarian? And Edinburgh is only renting them. It's like the zoo turned up at the rental desk and got the shittest old bangers on offer. Vegetarian bears that don't want to mate. Get them to f**k and get proper attractions back at the zoo.

Agree on the pandas but I hate most zoos anyway. Most of the animals don't have enough room and look sad. Safari parks are better in that they tend to at least have a bit of space. The higher up the hill you get at Edinburgh Zoo the gimmer the pens seem to be.

Why don't they have a reptile house any more? It seems to me that snakes and the like are one of the things you can keep in relatively small environments without it being too cruel.

I do like the penguins though, could just go and watch them tbh. Also I saw a tapir spray stinking "scenting" piss all over a couple of local teens who were annoying it, so that was good.

21 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Correct, it's shite. Turn around and look the other way, as directly behind you is the The Wedding Feast at Cana, a 20ft high masterpiece by Veronese.

No it isn't. All I can see framed through my window is my front garden and the grass needs cut.

Don't think it has been mentioned.
The secret bunker near Anstruther should be awesome.
Unfortunately most of that tat inside is totally unrelated to the cold War.

Of course as it's a secret none of you will have been.

7 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
13 hours ago, senorsoupe said:
I will nominate two more places for more or less the same reason
1. Times Square
2. Piccadilly Circus
They are both just intersections covered in billboards and advertisements

What were you expecting?

It's not that I was expecting anything, it's just that these locations (at least here in North America) get a lot of mentions as major attractions in their respective cities and I don't understand why

20 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I was very underwhelmed by Notre Dame. At least it was free to get in.

You'll be a bit underwhelmed by it at the moment...

Being Scottish I'm used to seeing medieval cathedrals roofless and in ruins so sometimes it's hard to take in an intact one 

Did the Capitol tour as well. Fantastic. Arlington was amazing too managed to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. Marvellous place. 

When we did Arlington we had to stop and wait for a funeral to pass. Full ceremonial occasion for the deceased with horses, guards and gun carriage. Poignant moment.

3 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

When we did Arlington we had to stop and wait for a funeral to pass. Full ceremonial occasion for the deceased with horses, guards and gun carriage. Poignant moment.

Yes I saw one of those too but it was well in the distance. Black horses with feathers etc.