Overrated shite attractions

To be fair the whole of Marrakech is shit, from the moment you get off the plane people are trying to con you, starts to get exhausting when you meet someone and think "ah, he seems a good chap....ah, no he's just doing it for money or to sell something"
Everyone is at it from the concierge at the hotel who tries to get you to go on trips using his mates so he gets a %, to the pool boy trying to give you dirty towels and asking for £ for a fresh one, and that's at a "5 star hotel".
Even when you pay a decent amount for a guided tour around a part of the city, the guide will take you to multiple places where he will get commission on anything you buy.
My biggest tip? trust no one, utterly no one is your friend there.
Never had the issue of them being overly pushy in Marrakech bar one woman who tried to hijack my wife with a henna tattoo.

She was looking for 40 Euros for what took 2 minutes - she wasn't happy when I handed over 5 euros and politely told her to jog on.

I found Cairo far more pushy - in fact Egypt in general was worse.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

+1 for the Mona Lisa. There are loads of significantly more impressive works in the halls leading to that shitty A4 sized doodle in the perspex box.

Not a fan of the Riverside Museum in Glasgow, it's probably a better building but a shitter museum than the old Transport Museum.

I'd also add Edinburgh to the list.

I found Cairo far more pushy - in fact Egypt in general was worse.

Egypt was far worse than Morocco in my experience. I had folk literally following me for kilometres trying to get money from me. Syria and Algeria were the friendliest Arab countries I visited, had strangers paying for my meals or getting them on the house.

40 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Another vote for Niagara Falls, Ontario.  Falls - great.  Town - tip.

On the subject of Canadian things… I’ve been to Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, and enjoyed them, then, just prior to Covid hitting the fan, went to Calgary. Absolutely fell in love with the place. Would go back to Calgary in a heartbeat - over the other ‘big 3’.

6 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Niagara Falls the town is shite though. However the surrounding region is unreal for a wine tour - Niagara on the Lake is a class wee place as well.

Worked in the IMAX in Niagara Falls, did first part of my Canadian working holiday there. I enjoyed living there because there's loads to do in the surrounding area, but probably not much that you'd want to do if you only had a couple of days.  Niagara Falls NY is seedier imo. 

7 hours ago, Namond Brice said:

I was disappointed with Saltcoats when I visited.

It may be the birthplace of Sir Steve Clarke, but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.

It'll be a different story once my "City Status for Saltcoats" campaign succeeds

11 hours ago, Namond Brice said:

Most (but not all tbf), standing stones.

They're big stones ffs, usually situated in some bleak, godforsaken stretch of land.

There's a pub in the middle of Avebury's stone circle 

Avebury is older than Stonehenge but less people go there.

The first time I went to London years ago I was underwhelmed by the Statue of Eros. It was just a wee looking statue in the middle of a busy traffic island.

I went back a few years ago and the traffic doesn't go round it any more and you can walk up to it. It's quite impressive close up.

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

On the subject of Canadian things… I’ve been to Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, and enjoyed them, then, just prior to Covid hitting the fan, went to Calgary. Absolutely fell in love with the place. Would go back to Calgary in a heartbeat - over the other ‘big 3’.

St. John's, Newfoundland is my favourite Canadian City, even though it's small it has great energy and character.  Montreal is by far the best of the big 3.

Quebec City is an overrated tourist trap though

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There's a pub in the middle of Avebury's stone circle 

Avebury is older than Stonehenge but less people go there.

The walk from Avebury following a row of stones, past a few minor barrows, up to West Kennet long barrow and back via Silbury hill is absolutely amazing. 

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

I will nominate two more places for more or less the same reason

1. Times Square

2. Piccadilly Circus

They are both just intersections covered in billboards and advertisements

I wouldn't have said Piccadilly Circus was an attraction is it? 

I'm not just being pedantic, I haven't read any "rough guide" type stuff about London so have no idea if this is a place recommended to tourists. Otherwise I just thought it was a bit of London that was well known as being a busy bit.