Overrated shite attractions

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Well, it’s a town in Scotland that isn’t an ‘A’ list town for visitors, like Edinburgh, Glasgow, or even St Andrews. Yet, Falkirk has not one, but two, more than decent visitor attractions that bring tourism to their ‘normal wee Scottish type town’. Yes, having a decent place to eat, go for a walk about, and park is a plus point. Never mind the big horses and the fancy-dan revolving boat carrying machine themselves.

If you cannot accept that they are plus points for tourism in an otherwise ‘ordinary’ Scottish town, then fair enough. Stick to Greenock, and, erm, well, the view from Lyall Hill on a clear day is indeed fabulous.

Greenock's magnificent Victoria Tower shits all over a couple of shan horse statues in a field as a piece of architecture M8. That, the salubrious west end and the stunning, fjord-like explain why the Clyde Riviera is already a hub of international tourism to Scotland. 

But at least you've got 'decent parking' and a decent place to eat' to look fondly on though. 

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I wasn't that impressed from the outside either - but possibly due to the harrrasment tourists get as soon as they walk off their bus - not helped either by Tourist Police on the take.

We had one Tourist copper offer kindly (so we thought at first) to take a photograph of us ' until he put his hand out looking for money to do it.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

I attempted to get a taxi to the pyramids.  Ended up getting taken to the taxi driver's brother's camel shack, eventually getting a one-to-one tour on horseback on the other side of the pyramids from where everyone else was.  I just kept saying "no" to everything being offered until I realised I had a good deal going and thought "why not?".

Got led through a gap in an old outer wall guarded by some guys holding machine guns taking cash from the guides.  Truth be told, I was half convinced that I was being taken out into the desert to be shot, and didn't particularly enjoy that part of the experience.  The sore bollocks from being battered against the saddle as the horse cantered across the dunes was far more enjoyable.

I have absolutely nothing but contempt for Cairo, and I was being paid to be there.

The Sphinx in Egypt is the worst hassle I've had at tourist attraction it's 10 times worse than the red fort.My missus ended up basically decking some boy who wouldn't leave her alone and storming back to the bus 
We had very little hassle at the Sphinx - the Pyramids on the other hand were a nightmare.

The Amalfi Coast. What an absolute shitehole. There is nothing to do there, the hotels and restaurants are tired and dated beyond belief and there’s an arrogance there that the hovel like state of the place is “part of the charm”. 

They have shops everywhere selling ceramic tiles and limoncello. Congratulations, you have ceramic tiles and limoncello. I will never go back. 
Capri was ok.
Completely disagree.

I think it's beautiful.

I stayed in Positano for a week. It’s a dump. So is Amalfi. So is Sorrento. So is Salerno. Naples was borderline ok and on the verge of being in the modern world.
If you were wanting the modern world why on earth did you go to the south of Italy? That one's on you.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, johnnydun said:
Edinburgh Zoo.
Not completely pish, but the hill is a pain in the arse and Blair Drummond is far superior.

Kincraig Wildlife Park is the correct answer here.

Kingcraig is shite too. It’s about 70 quid for 2 adults and a child and most of the pens/cages are empty. 

47 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Blarney Castle was also pish. While I’m at it, throw the entirety of Dublin in there, with the exception of the old prison tour you can do, which was relatively decent. 

Dublin is shite. Good call. I'd go to Galway most weekends if they hadn't placed it equidistantly far away between two shit airports. 

I forgot the astronomical clock in Prague. TBF I'm sure it was the wonder of the age in 1400 so no harms to the Czechs but it's not as good as the Wellgate clock in Dundee. 

25 minutes ago, microdave said:

Culloden. It's just a field.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My mate made me go. He's very patriotic and got quite emotional, shedding tears for his brave Highland brethern or whoever it was, despite being from Airdrie.

I was bored and cold, it could've  been a field anywhere.

Niagara Falls was a bit of a let down, not because of the waterfall itself, but simply because the Canadians have managed to turn the whole place into a really tacky mini-Vegas.  Spoils it big time.

As for genuinely shite attractions: anywhere where you're forced to follow a guide who's playing a character, for example: Mary King's Close.  "I am the ghost of Mary Campbell, born here in 1546...".  Erm, no you're not.  You're a 20 year old drama student, called Susan.

Edited by Hedgecutter

33 minutes ago, microdave said:

Culloden. It's just a field.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Keep meaning to go to the newish visitor centre, supposed to be very good. 

Edited by welshbairn