VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Well, yes but this is a thread about VAR, and - as you know - it shouldn't have been a penalty, so for all the "wonderful theatre" it failed.

See the source image Pelanty Aberdeen!

14 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not quite sure that you’ve got that totally correct.

I'm pretty sure I have......and the P&J appears to agree 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/5005318/ref-watch-what-did-our-refereeing-expert-make-of-the-big-var-calls-in-aberdeens-win-against-hibernian/

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

The P&J - Dons fans don't even agree with the P&J...

I think ange has a point, surprise surprise, firstly he was talking about the length of time it takes, the ball clearly hits bernabies arm, if by the letter of the law it’s a penalty then the var guys should tell the ref right away, not take 2 or 3 mins watching it then tell the ref to watch it. 

secondly every time the ball has hit an arm in our games it’s been a penalty except the smith incident in the hearts game, the one against Livingston was never a penalty imo, none of them should be as none were deliberate but that’s a separate debate, by why wasn’t the smith one looked at, it was as unintentional as the other 2 but struck his hand. Makes no sense to me.  

The most annoying thing out of it all for me was the booking for bernabie. Caused him to be hooked at ht cause he was on a booking.  
The Smith one wi have been looked at but the conversation between the refs perhaps went different. The VAR will have alerted him to a potential penalty as the game was going on and then I formed him that it's hit a hand but unintentional and thus the game didn't need to be stopped...VAR working well in that instance.

1 minute ago, Cptn Hooch said:
12 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:
I think ange has a point, surprise surprise, firstly he was talking about the length of time it takes, the ball clearly hits bernabies arm, if by the letter of the law it’s a penalty then the var guys should tell the ref right away, not take 2 or 3 mins watching it then tell the ref to watch it. 

secondly every time the ball has hit an arm in our games it’s been a penalty except the smith incident in the hearts game, the one against Livingston was never a penalty imo, none of them should be as none were deliberate but that’s a separate debate, by why wasn’t the smith one looked at, it was as unintentional as the other 2 but struck his hand. Makes no sense to me.  

The most annoying thing out of it all for me was the booking for bernabie. Caused him to be hooked at ht cause he was on a booking.  

The Smith one wi have been looked at but the conversation between the refs perhaps went different. The VAR will have alerted him to a potential penalty as the game was going on and then I formed him that it's hit a hand but unintentional and thus the game didn't need to be stopped...VAR working well in that instance.

None of the 3 involving Celtic have been intentional. (refs looked 2 and give 1 for us and 1 against).  

42 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Don't care what the P&J says. Mind you, kudos to you for searching around t'internet to find someone to back up your crazy theory. 

22 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Don't care what the P&J says. Mind you, kudos to you for searching around t'internet to find someone to back up your crazy theory. 

Just to clarify, you believe that was a penalty on Friday?

At what point do we start accepting the obvious though. There was contact but it wasn't the contact that made him fall over. He planted his foot and just chucked himself forward. 

Football punditry has brainwashed people into thinking contact = foul because it's ex pros sticking up for their kind because they've done the same thing in the past. 

English football blindly accepting the De Bryune one was a penalty as well sums it up.

Some say VAR will ruin football. You could argue this "entitled to go down" nonsense has been ruining it for a lot longer. You don't need to be murdered to gain a foul but there's got to be reasonable contact that has actually impeded you. 

38 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Marshall came charging out and couldn't help but catch our Duk. So yes, as did many others. 

My take on it is this.

Duk is running at full pelt. 
He stretches to get contact in the ball before Marshall.  
He succeeds.  
But in doing so, he overstretches, loses his balance & starts to fall over.  
The contact with Marshall happens whilst he’s on his way down.

So, IMO, no penalty, but I don’t think it’s conclusively a dive either. 

6 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

My take on it is this.

Duk is running at full pelt. 
He stretches to get contact in the ball before Marshall.  
He succeeds.  
But in doing so, he overstretches, loses his balance & starts to fall over.  
The contact with Marshall happens whilst he’s on his way down.

So, IMO, no penalty, but I don’t think it’s conclusively a dive either. 

In my view the rate that Marshall comes out at, he can't fail to connect with Duk. With that and his major error in being off his line when the penalty was taken, it wasn't a good night for Marshall. 

12 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

At what point do we start accepting the obvious though. There was contact but it wasn't the contact that made him fall over. He planted his foot and just chucked himself forward. 

Football punditry has brainwashed people into thinking contact = foul because it's ex pros sticking up for their kind because they've done the same thing in the past. 

English football blindly accepting the De Bryune one was a penalty as well sums it up.

Some say VAR will ruin football. You could argue this "entitled to go down" nonsense has been ruining it for a lot longer. You don't need to be murdered to gain a foul but there's got to be reasonable contact that has actually impeded you. 

See also the nonsense that the merest touch will always send a player running at full speed flying. Total pish.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

See also the nonsense that the merest touch will always send a player running at full speed flying. Total pish.

Was thinking the same thing. I've played football for many years, appreciate it's nowhere near professional level but the same notion applies, if I don't get knocked to the ground like an Olympic swimmer entering the pool when my toe gets tapped... Neither do the professionals. 

16 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

I think ange has a point, surprise surprise  

You could have just left it there.

The first few weeks of VAR in Scotland have thrown up a few issues - the main one being that very few people understand the laws around handball and how those laws need to be enforced.

It seems that folk were expecting VAR to definitively solve all problems - that's never going to be the case.

My initial thoughts are that I don't like VAR.

However, as a few folk have pointed out, it's overturned some decisions that would have otherwise been called incorrectly.  

I still dinnae like it. 

Back to my main point, though - Ange is a p***k. 

Edited by paranoid android