VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

This is a laughable take.

I’ve been to plenty of football matches with VAR, including in the English Premier League and international matches in multiple countries. The experience is absolutely fine. This idea that it’s “ruined” by VAR is made up nonsense. 

Sorry, to rephrase that, 'it's definitely worth having my match-going experience ruined'.

So, congratulations you've been to loads of EPL and international games, you're clearly a well-travelled football tourist.

Long story short; f**k VAR.

1 minute ago, FozzysFence said:

Sorry, to rephrase that, 'it's definitely worth having my match-going experience ruined'.

So, congratulations you've been to loads of EPL and international games, you're clearly a well-travelled football tourist.

Long story short; f**k VAR.

It's here to stay, thankfully 😄

On-pitch officials are now delegating decisions to VAR.

He's done exactly the opposite of that though, he's made the decision himself only to be proved wrong by VAR. Delegating the decision would be going "oh, I think that might be offside, but I'll just leave it because VAR will sort it anyway".

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He's done exactly the opposite of that though, he's made the decision himself only to be proved wrong by VAR. Delegating the decision would be going "oh, I think that might be offside, but I'll just leave it because VAR will sort it anyway".

Did Walsh not do exactly that with the first Hearts penalty decision? I struggle to believe a qualified official could look at that challenge and not think it was a stonewall penalty; the direction of the ball after the challenge made it quite clear that Carter-Vickers hadn’t got to the ball first. He’s allowed play to continue, most likely knowing full well that the VAR official is going to instruct him to go and look at the monitor.

Surely it’s in almost everyone’s interests, especially the officials, to award the penalty and then allow VAR to overturn it if need be. Instead Walsh looks like he has bottled the decision, although I would like to think that if VAR wasn’t available he would have given the penalty to start with. 

11 hours ago, Illgresi said:

I watched the Dons game live yesterday, and have just watched Sportscene highlights of the Old Firm and Rangers* games. The one thing you can say from that evidence pool, is that VAR contributed in all 3 of those games to getting the correct scoreline at full time.

There are other criticisms of course, but getting the correct score at the end of the match is absolutely the main priority of VAR for me. Especially important, that when administered correctly and fairly, it will show clearly how much of an advantage the Old Firm and Rangers* have always had.

What the f**k is that supposed to mean? :lol:

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Did Walsh not do exactly that with the first Hearts penalty decision? I struggle to believe a qualified official could look at that challenge and not think it was a stonewall penalty; the direction of the ball after the challenge made it quite clear that Carter-Vickers hadn’t got to the ball first. He’s allowed play to continue, most likely knowing full well that the VAR official is going to instruct him to go and look at the monitor.

I would agree with you if not for the fact it was Nick "rabbit in the headlights" Walsh. There is every chance he wouldnt have given it IMO

It would be interesting, and entirely possible - albeit complex and time consuming and unlikely to provide instant answers, to see a fully AI official view a game and see what decisions it makes. It will have a dependency on the visuals, but equally it could be tied into player monitoring which clubs already do. While a referee has to make a judgement call regarding how hard a tackle was, and they need to do it via the players' (and the ball's) reaction where tech could use the actual momentum readings from the player's "tech vest".

Do I want to see all decisions farmed out to tech? No, I think it's important to have a central official, in fact it's essential for large parts of the game, but it'd be an interesting experiment to compare what machine learning can do in a few months of data collection compared to officials who have trained and officiated for years.

Edited by Ric

I'm a relatively new user to Twitter, so maybe I'm a bit naive. But the reaction of Celtic fans online to the events of the weekend are amazing.

Have a wee look and you'll see Celtic fan after Celtic fan posting things like 'WHERE ARE THE LINES!!!' in reference to the offside decision against them on Saturday. Then, when someone posts a picture showing the lines and why it's offside, the mass response of Celtic fans is 'THOSE LINES LOOK FUNNY TO ME'.

Another example is Celtic fans widely sharing a video of an offside decision where you can't see the attacking player for about 2 seconds or so after the keeper kicks the ball. It's fucking mad, but their echo chamber keeps this mince rolling on and on and on.

There's simply no winning here. The story with VAR is not going to be people being happy with better decisions, it's going to be people (in Scotland I'm going to stick my neck out and say Celtic and Rangers fans especially) being more unhappy with anything going against their team, and the fact it's now video checked just confirming what they already know, that the world is out to get them.

It's really depressing.

22 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

I'm a relatively new user to Twitter, so maybe I'm a bit naive. But the reaction of Celtic fans online to the events of the weekend are amazing.

Have a wee look and you'll see Celtic fan after Celtic fan posting things like 'WHERE ARE THE LINES!!!' in reference to the offside decision against them on Saturday. Then, when someone posts a picture showing the lines and why it's offside, the mass response of Celtic fans is 'THOSE LINES LOOK FUNNY TO ME'.

Another example is Celtic fans widely sharing a video of an offside decision where you can't see the attacking player for about 2 seconds or so after the keeper kicks the ball. It's fucking mad, but their echo chamber keeps this mince rolling on and on and on.

There's simply no winning here. The story with VAR is not going to be people being happy with better decisions, it's going to be people (in Scotland I'm going to stick my neck out and say Celtic and Rangers fans especially) being more unhappy with anything going against their team, and the fact it's now video checked just confirming what they already know, that the world is out to get them.

It's really depressing.

Can't disagree with any of that.  The paranoia from Celtic fans after 1 game, which contained a couple of decisions which will always be toss-up calls, is depressing.  The Abada offside goal is absolutely clear and they're claiming all sorts regarding it.  Mad

16 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Can't disagree with any of that.  The paranoia from Celtic fans after 1 game, which contained a couple of decisions which will always be toss-up calls, is depressing.  The Abada offside goal is absolutely clear and they're claiming all sorts regarding it.  Mad

I'm honestly at the point where it all just puts me off even bothering. It's just such a daft atmosphere around the top-flight football just now, and this is only going to make it more childish and toxic.

I've always watched Hearts with Clyde on the side (what a fucking combination this season), and I think from next season I'll be spending more of my Saturdays at Clyde than suffering through the increasing shiteshow that is the Premiership.

20 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Only at Tynecastle where Celtic would have won 14-0 without masons running VAR and a mason on the pitch with a whistle. 😠

But the plucky underdogs Celtic managed to battle through defeating VAR & Hearts, a real David and Goliath story.

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

But the plucky underdogs Celtic managed to battle through defeating VAR & Hearts, a real David and Goliath story.

John Harrison is a bald headed, brainless tube who should never be given airtime again. Ever.

He played for the **** for 4-5 years, is a Swansea fan, yet makes out he’s a rabid Tim to pander to their hoards. 
He was a failed medical away from pandering to the ****.

Can’t stand him. 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

John Harrison is a bald headed, brainless tube who should never be given airtime again. Ever.

He played for the **** for 4-5 years, is a Swansea fan, yet makes out he’s a rabid Tim to pander to their hoards. 

Can’t stand him. 

Add Sutton to that list too, another one bleating on about Celtic defeating VAR, absolute fannies.

16 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

I'm honestly at the point where it all just puts me off even bothering. It's just such a daft atmosphere around the top-flight football just now, and this is only going to make it more childish and toxic.

I've always watched Hearts with Clyde on the side (what a fucking combination this season), and I think from next season I'll be spending more of my Saturdays at Clyde than suffering through the increasing shiteshow that is the Premiership.

I think I know you! 😀

DM incoming

8 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I don't know how they manage it...

They're really the most tiresome fucking support in the world. Wrong about everything, but just never stop moaning.

6 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Can’t stand him. 

He's lucky to get any airtime. The massive media conspiracy against Celtic means that only the real cream of the crop ex-Celtic players get to have any say.

You know, the real geniuses like Chris Sutton, Packie Bonner, Peter Grant, Simon Donnelly, Mark Wilson, John Collins, Craig Burley etc. Real top guys.

To be honest I feel like VAR did it’s job this weekend. Sure, some of the decisions took an absurd amount of time to be given but that should speed up as time goes on, hopefully.

I do feel we should have had a penalty, but it is what it is. The second Hearts penalty should never have gone to VAR as it was beyond obvious it was a penalty.

The first one the ref is wrong sighted and would have been guessing based on the path the ball took as he can’t see the incident clearly, but, VAR done it’s job and rightfully awarded a penalty.

Edited by stressball