VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Have you blocked this from your memory? 
3CA23B14-52D2-49C8-8569-B2593DAACA41.png.f46719ce2ae5f925676efba9e0e3c83d.png

That Steven McLean special did AFC a massive favour.

You would possibly have needed to have been with us after the match in a bar in Groningen’s main square hearing about Motherwell getting pumped out by some Icelandic side to understand why.

48 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Going by IFAB's definition of a handball offence I think the officials got it right...

It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

Not withstanding the fact the 2nd bullet point is completely ridiculous, you may be right. But I guarantee you the same or similar incident goes the other way multiple times this season 

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We should have had 2nd wrapped up well before that game. Indeed, we should have been 2 or 3 up before that incident. 

That incident decided that match but not our 3rd place finish. 

VAR would have awarded a penalty to Motherwell and all the fun around Sutton would have been forgotten.

We may have benefited from it yesterday but for me VAR is still bad for the game. I struggled to celebrate our second goal due to the fear of it being chalked off for one reason or another.

if we can get to a point where the offside technology is instant then I could probably accept it.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

You're trying too hard here, yesterday's result at Fir Park has obviously turned your head...

Not trying too hard but stuff in real life is probably making be more of a c**t about this than normal, so I’m probably better to take a night off. 

I think without VAR, the linesman wouldn't be giving miovski offside. Raising the flag is now a way of signalling to VAR that it should be checked, and allows shitebag officials to absolve themselves of any responsibility for decisions that could be remotely controversial.

In that case the lino knew he was clearly onside, knew VAR would award the goal, but flagged anyway just in case he was wrong. Cowardly officiating imo.

There is very little serious opposition to VAR in England and other European countries. There was some resistance in the early months because people are resistant to change in general, but VAR is not only a good thing (because it stops teams getting screwed by refereeing errors) but it’s completely necessary in order to stop our players and referees falling behind on the world stage. 

1 hour ago, KingswellsRed said:

We may have benefited from it yesterday but for me VAR is still bad for the game. I struggled to celebrate our second goal due to the fear of it being chalked off for one reason or another.

if we can get to a point where the offside technology is instant then I could probably accept it.

This is the most bizarre argument to me.

If there was an offside or a foul in the build up then the goal SHOULD be ruled out. If there wasn’t, then the goal should stand. It really is that simple.

31 minutes ago, FozzysFence said:

I think without VAR, the linesman wouldn't be giving miovski offside. Raising the flag is now a way of signalling to VAR that it should be checked, and allows shitebag officials to absolve themselves of any responsibility for decisions that could be remotely controversial.

In that case the lino knew he was clearly onside, knew VAR would award the goal, but flagged anyway just in case he was wrong. Cowardly officiating imo.

The goal would be checked whether the flag was up or not. No assistant is going to deliberately make a decision they think is wrong and thus look incompetent.

Edited by craigkillie

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I like to think I am fairly level headed when it comes to decisions/results/discussing Motherwell.

I giggled at the Aberdeen fans who seem to think that boy Stewart trying to pull Lamie's shirt off by the collar is not a foul. That's a good yin lads.

It was a good yin. It won us the game.

1 hour ago, FozzysFence said:

That's fanciful bollocks.

That’s what I think

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

There is very little serious opposition to VAR in England and other European countries. There was some resistance in the early months because people are resistant to change in general, but VAR is not only a good thing (because it stops teams getting screwed by refereeing errors) but it’s completely necessary in order to stop our players and referees falling behind on the world stage. 

When you put it like that, you're bang on actually.

It's definitely worth having the match-going experience ruined for good if it means that Kevin Clancy can still referee Conference League games. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not withstanding the fact the 2nd bullet point is completely ridiculous, you may be right. But I guarantee you the same or similar incident goes the other way multiple times this season 

In which case the teams being penalised should feel aggrieved at the decision, rather than Celtic being upset yesterday despite the law being applied correctly. 

When you put it like that, you're bang on actually.

It's definitely worth having the match-going experience ruined for good if it means that Kevin Clancy can still referee Conference League games. 

This is a laughable take.

I’ve been to plenty of football matches with VAR, including in the English Premier League and international matches in multiple countries. The experience is absolutely fine. This idea that it’s “ruined” by VAR is made up nonsense.