VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was against VAR in general but if it’s not going to eliminate the “win some lose some” aspect of contentious decisions and/or penalty claims then I can honestly see me chucking going to games altogether. A huge loss I’m sure everyone will agree, but if we’re going to no better off plus you have the on field delays and 8 minutes plus of stoppage time per game I fail to see how teams are benefiting and it’s completely ruining the match experience.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

No what really makes a shite match day experience is when you get a perfectly good early goal ruled offside and you end up losing the match or you concede a fairytale penalty to the gruesomes. If I have to wait a puckle of minutes longer to get a decision based nearer on fact then so be it...

That’s your view and that’s fine, but it’s not the sport I want to watch and it makes a huge impact to me. 

That Hearts vs Celtic game was classic yesterday because VAR was able to 'assist' the referee and linesmen make the correct decisions that didn't necessarily always benefit the big team.

Except it didn’t necessarily get all the decisions right. I think Celtic can justifiably feel aggrieved at not getting a pen and having a goal disallowed despite the presence of the magic multi million pound technology. Of course, Celtic have a knack of making no c**t feel sorry for them but you have to look objectively. 

And, of course, refereeing decisions have influenced tournaments. What about Maradona's helping hand in the quarter-finals that helped Argentina gain control in 1986? What about Harald Schumachar nearly decapitating Battison in the semi-finals and remaining on the pitch to help his side progress to the final in 1982? What about Ireland failing to qualify for 2002 because of the Henry handball?

It’s just as well I didn’t say that refereeing decisions have never impacted on individual games. 

You’ve names a handful of incidents there across a 40 year period that have made a huge difference to a teams outcomes. Of course, it happens. But two ripostes:

1. This can still happen under VAR; and

2. particularly in a league season, can you honestly think of a clear example where refereeing decisions have been a significant determining factor in the outcome of that league table? 

On 21/10/2022 at 23:17, craigkillie said:

But the outcome would have been identical had it not been in place.

On 22/10/2022 at 11:14, wastecoatwilly said:

The linesman keeping his flag down to allow play to continue is probably the biggest one.

On 22/10/2022 at 11:59, craigkillie said:

But they are still supposed to put their flag up and give the decision at the end of the passage of play, which is exactly what happened in that game.

On 22/10/2022 at 12:27, wastecoatwilly said:

Marginal calls have been taking away,Before the linesman would make the call straight away and stand with his flag up.

On 22/10/2022 at 13:00, craigkillie said:

The assistant is still making their decision at the time, the only difference is that they are waiting to put their flag up to indicate that decision.

The first Dons goal is the perfect example.

Reckon Miovski will get more goals now. His opener was a clear 2 yards onside and I reckon he's been wrongly flagged a few times.

Most of the decisions VAR made this weekend were correct and I do expect the process to getting to those decisions will improve but at Tynecastle in particular the 3 minute waits were ludicrous. Nick Walsh looked completely out of his depth but that's not a new thing. 

11 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Reckon Miovski will get more goals now. His opener was a clear 2 yards onside and I reckon he's been wrongly flagged a few times.

Most of the decisions VAR made this weekend were correct and I do expect the process to getting to those decisions will improve but at Tynecastle in particular the 3 minute waits were ludicrous. Nick Walsh looked completely out of his depth but that's not a new thing. 

The offside was a terrible decision initially. 

VAR in England has that issue still as well. It really bothers me. 

The referee standing holding his ear for 2-3-4 minutes before eventually going to watch it. I cannot fathom why that needs to happen? Why can't they just prepare for it and let him start watching it 3 mins earlier rather than waiting for the VAR official to have watched it 126 times from every angle for 4 mins... For the ref to watch it eventually from 1 angle for 10 seconds and give it?

Cut the dead time of absolutely nothing happening.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 hour ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I was against VAR in general but if it’s not going to eliminate the “win some lose some” aspect of contentious decisions and/or penalty claims then I can honestly see me chucking going to games altogether. A huge loss I’m sure everyone will agree, but if we’re going to no better off plus you have the on field delays and 8 minutes plus of stoppage time per game I fail to see how teams are benefiting and it’s completely ruining the match experience.

They use it at Scotland games and it’s fine. It doesn’t ruin the games.

It’s only shite if the referees are shite.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

My query was more, did he give the penalty because the ball had gone put, would he have left it to VAR if the ball had stayed in play, that seems to be what he did the first time round.

The first time round he didn't see the challenge as a penalty, which given his position is no surprise, but the second he saw the penalty.  He us still the match referee, not the VAR. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

particularly in a league season, can you honestly think of a clear example where refereeing decisions have been a significant determining factor in the outcome of that league table? 

Have you blocked this from your memory? 

3CA23B14-52D2-49C8-8569-B2593DAACA41.png

Except it didn’t necessarily get all the decisions right. I think Celtic can justifiably feel aggrieved at not getting a pen

Going by IFAB's definition of a handball offence I think the officials got it right...

It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

Except it didn’t necessarily get all the decisions right. I think Celtic can justifiably feel aggrieved at not getting a pen and having a goal disallowed despite the presence of the magic multi million pound technology. Of course, Celtic have a knack of making no c**t feel sorry for them but you have to look objectively. 

You're trying too hard here, yesterday's result at Fir Park has obviously turned your head...

I like to think I am fairly level headed when it comes to decisions/results/discussing Motherwell.

I giggled at the Aberdeen fans who seem to think that boy Stewart trying to pull Lamie's shirt off by the collar is not a foul. That's a good yin lads.