VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm against it but from watching Sportscene you can see why we're getting it.

So much inconsistency in decisions from game to game.

I’d take the inconsistency to avoid VAR. Any day of the week. 

VAR will increase accuracy yes, but not nearly enough to justify the intrusion into the game. And no danger it will suddenly be consistent. 

18 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm against it but from watching Sportscene you can see why we're getting it.

So much inconsistency in decisions from game to game.

TBH - consistency within a given game is all that really matters to me - and I don't really think VAR is designed to fix that. I don't care if the same type of foul in a stadium 100 miles away is treated slightly differently (in fact I realistically expect it given that it's different people involved). 

I had one of my rare watches of MOTD on Saturday night and the VAR offside stuff is just soul destroying to me - I'd 100% take the status quo with all its failings over that.

It's going to be an absolute shitshow up here.  The folk who think Rangers/Celtic will get less of the "50/50" decisions in their favour are living in cuckoo land.  They'll get more.  Tavernier top scorer in season 23/24 will be a decent bet.  

As a match going regular (home games anyway), I'll give it 18 months to see how it affects my experience.  If games are going to end up being 100+ minutes long every couple of weeks as we stand about waiting to see if someone's left big toe is offside, I'll probably call it a day and go and watch local Junior/Lowland league games.

43 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Except there's absolutely no reason to assume we'll get consistency in the use of VAR. Other leagues don't.

41 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’d take the inconsistency to avoid VAR. Any day of the week. 

VAR will increase accuracy yes, but not nearly enough to justify the intrusion into the game. And no danger it will suddenly be consistent. 

23 minutes ago, Swello said:

TBH - consistency within a given game is all that really matters to me - and I don't really think VAR is designed to fix that. I don't care if the same type of foul in a stadium 100 miles away is treated slightly differently (in fact I realistically expect it given that it's different people involved). 

I had one of my rare watches of MOTD on Saturday night and the VAR offside stuff is just soul destroying to me - I'd 100% take the status quo with all its failings over that.

You're preaching to the choir lads.

Every week you have a manager on sportscene pleading for VAR though. Players will want it too, as they did in England.

Then they'll be complaining when it's the inevitable shitshow.

Got to say I don't agree with the "well computers can tell if someone is offside or not to the centimetre, that sort of absoluteness is not football". You are either onside or offside, it's either over the line or not over the line, everything is binary. Complaining that we can now determine these things more accurately is not a negative towards VAR.

My issue with VAR is twofold, one is that it won't change the culture of suspicion and secrecy, with the second being that it's expensive and being implemented mid way through a season.

16 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

If you need to draw a line to see if it's offside, you shouldn't be changing the decision one way or another.   Toney scored a lovely goal for Brentford and was what, an inch offside with his heel while facing away from goal.

It's absolute pish and shouldn't be encouraged

With decisions like that I can imagine them bringing in a new rule specifically stating that a player needs to be deemed to have gained an advantage from being in an offside position.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

With decisions like that I can imagine them bringing in a new rule specifically stating that a player needs to be deemed to have gained an advantage from being in an offside position.

Why? If they are offside they are offside, if they are onside they are onside. If you start putting in rules to mitigate someone onside being offside, or someone offside being onside, then what is the point of VAR in the first place, the ref could make that judgement on the spot.

I think the one thing VAR does is remove the, "they have no time to make that decision", or the, "they don't have an angle to see that offence", excuses that are often given to cover up a bad decision.

If the referee has been made aware of something by the 4th official and then takes time to review it, or refuses to review it for some reason, those two excuses are immediately void.

Edited by Ric

Hearts got their penalty in Zurich by the VARless ref being verbally corrected by his assistant and then changing his decision. No reason why the same can't apply with the VAR just telling the ref he's wrong rather than go through the whole pitchside monitor pantomime. The principle of VAR is good but the reality is far from it.

What's the margin in these VAR offsides? Like what is the smallest distance that can be measured and therefore be used to judge an offside?

I assume it's a gnats baw hair. And wouldn't a margin of like 50cm, like the attackers furthest forward body part would have to be at least 50cms in front of the last defender to ve judged offside? 

It will be a shambles largely because it is Scottish Football and in a way I'm looking forward to embracing the farce. 

I know it's not easy but this weekend has to be up there with the poorest across the board officiating performance in the Premiership I've seen. 

All the talk is the Rangers, Hibs game but the penalty Motherwell received and Ross Callahan fouls were absolutely horrendous decisions.

I have no faith these diddies will use VAR well either. 

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

What's the margin in these VAR offsides? Like what is the smallest distance that can be measured and therefore be used to judge an offside?

I'd assume it would be dependant on how many frames per second the recording cameras/monitors are able to display. The higher the frames per second then the more accurate they'll be. Not sure what the actual margins are defined as though.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Got to say I don't agree with the "well computers can tell if someone is offside or not to the centimetre, that sort of absoluteness is not football". You are either onside or offside, it's either over the line or not over the line, everything is binary. Complaining that we can now determine these things more accurately is not a negative towards VAR.

My issue with VAR is twofold, one is that it won't change the culture of suspicion and secrecy, with the second being that it's expensive and being implemented mid way through a season.

The technology used for VAR is not good enough to be dealing in tiny margins.  The margin for error at the frame rates used is too big

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I assume it's a gnats baw hair. And wouldn't a margin of like 50cm, like the attackers furthest forward body part would have to be at least 50cms in front of the last defender to ve judged offside? 

It will be a shambles largely because it is Scottish Football and in a way I'm looking forward to embracing the farce. 

50cm is a pretty big margin tbf

2 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

50cm is a pretty big margin tbf

I kind of think there should be daylight between attacker and defender in order to be off. I hate that a nose or half a pinkie is enough to chop off a goal. 

Without making it into basketball, more goals or giving the attacker the advantage is surely the way to go.