VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, accies1874 said:

You haven't considered that referees are actually biased against my club and VAR will solve this so a lot of supporters will want it.

True. They'll be in for a surprise though.

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

You haven't considered that referees are actually biased against my club and VAR will solve this so a lot of supporters will want it.

From what I can tell from English twitter, fans there have now decided VAR is also a conspiracy against their club.  Particularly Everton fans for some reason.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

This is my thoughts on this, the same guys will be looking at the same incidents on video. Whether you think they are cheating, corrupt or just plain shite. It's the same guys doing the same things.

I think (very) soft fouls or penalties are given via VAR more often than not. I don't think VAR is going to stop these people giving the slightest of nudge/clips/touches on a player who then launches themselves into the air and rolls around all the pens they want.

The referees will be far more competent when they have the benefit of hindsight though. VAR never gets a decision wrong. 

What we really need is the refs miked up to the "VAR ref based in lodge 342" , then we could then hear the justification for all the shitey homer decisions at Ibrox, and also teach wallopers like Kenny Miller what the fucking handball rules are.

win / win

I’ve emailed Thistle asking them to vote against VAR, on the basis that it’s demonstrably utter shite. I didn’t word it quite like that but that was the gist.

I just don’t see the point. Referees make mistakes, it’s annoying but is it worth totally changing/ruining the match day experience for people actually there in order to slightly reduce the amount of mistakes? Of course it isn’t. 

I would be absolutely ecstatic to someone like Albion Rovers or Elgin City be the deciding factor against this utter shite. It might be inevitable, but it’s still worth delaying it as long as possible.

Can I ask what happens if/when VAR doesn’t work for a game? Has this happened down south yet? I seem to remember earlier this season a game was delayed because of the goal line technology not working but maybe I’ve dreamt that. You know if Scottish football brings VAR in then at some stage it’s not going to work. What happens then? Does the game go ahead or does it have to be postponed?

12 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Can I ask what happens if/when VAR doesn’t work for a game? Has this happened down south yet? I seem to remember earlier this season a game was delayed because of the goal line technology not working but maybe I’ve dreamt that. You know if Scottish football brings VAR in then at some stage it’s not going to work. What happens then? Does the game go ahead or does it have to be postponed?

The game goes ahead and is refereed as normal. The goal-line technology allegedly failed in the very first Premier League game back after lockdown, leading to a Sheffield United not being awarded when it had clearly crossed the line.

Edited by craigkillie

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

All VAR will be good for is winding up opposition fans on here, especially after a late equaliser is ruled out for a public hairs width offside decision.

Then the folk laughing will suffer the same pain the following week.

Public hairs?

I've said this a few times on here, I quite like the concept of VAR and have seen it used effectively in loads of instances. Like everything though, the odd dodgy decision get highlighted and massacred by fans and the media as proof that its shite. It is still a subjective decision of a referee, whether that's the on-field one or the VAR, so errors (or at least errors in fans eyes) will still happen.

I've been to half a dozen or so Scotland games with it and I can honestly say it hasnt dampened my match day experience at all, I've barely noticed it other than the Dykes goal that was given against Israel. If used well, which it has been in those games, its pretty efficient IMO.

Whether I trust Scottish referees to use it effectively or efficiently is an entirely separate matter though. But thats more down to my lack of faith in our refereeing and governing body standard than it is about VAR being shite.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

We need limited appeals, like in tennis. Don't go to the video without an appeal. 

Otherwise everytime a corner comes in it's going to be a nightmare deciding which of the three pedantic penalties or four soft free kicks to give first. 

This would be a valid example if VAR was dishing out penalties at corners every game. But it doesnt. Even if it did, defenders bearhugging attackers and pulling shirts constantly at set pieces is a proper bugbear of mine so would happily see more done to stamp it out, does my nut in.

Like the appeals ideal though. Straight sending off if a team appeals for a penalty and it turns out their attacker dived.