VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is the sort of reason why broadcasting the audio of discussions between referees can be challenging, because you end up with situations like this where people read all sorts of things into a fairly simple conversation. The foul wasn't a penalty, but that is a judgement call which requires the referee to come to the monitor, and is clearly going to be more up for interpretation, so of course they're going to start off by looking for the "easy way out" of finding an offside if there is one. In fact, it's their job to check for offsides anyway.

I don't see the big issue here, if there was an offside, it would be the correct decision not to give the penalty anyway. As it was, there wasn't an offside and the referee had to go to the monitor to overturn the award of a penalty.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is the sort of reason why broadcasting the audio of discussions between referees can be challenging, because you end up with situations like this where people read all sorts of things into a fairly simple conversation. The foul wasn't a penalty, but that is a judgement call which requires the referee to come to the monitor, and is clearly going to be more up for interpretation, so of course they're going to start off by looking for the "easy way out" of finding an offside if there is one. In fact, it's their job to check for offsides anyway.

I don't see the big issue here, if there was an offside, it would be the correct decision not to give the penalty anyway. As it was, there wasn't an offside and the referee had to go to the monitor to overturn the award of a penalty.

I think the "issue" is the offside check shoukld be done before referee is asked to come over and check his own f**k up.  Instead of hoping something else clears him of his own f**k up.  

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's a classic example of someone taking a quote and removing it of all its context to make it seem sinister.

Anyone with a brain can understand what would have been meant in this instance, however clumsy the wording used by someone trying to do a complicated job quickly while communicating with someone else while thousands of people sit around waiting.

Doesn't matter now, though. Celtic Twitter owns this now.

13 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's a classic example of someone taking a quote and removing it of all its context to make it seem sinister.

Anyone with a brain can understand what would have been meant in this instance, however clumsy the wording used by someone trying to do a complicated job quickly while communicating with someone else while thousands of people sit around waiting.

Doesn't matter now, though. Celtic Twitter owns this now.

Aye. I don't think this is the 'gotcha' moment Celtic fans think it is either.

23 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

:lol: Celtic bloggers everywhere will be absolutely delighted. 

A quick look suggests a third of them think hes criticising Celtic, somehow, and they want him banned from Celtic Park, while another third want "them" banned from Celtic Park because of the anti-Celtic agenda "they" struggle to hide. 

The other 3rd are talking about Rangers finances.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A quick look suggests a third of them think hes criticising Celtic, somehow, and they want him banned from Celtic Park, while another third want "them" banned from Celtic Park because of the anti-Celtic agenda "they" struggle to hide. 

The other 3rd are talking about Rangers finances.

Seems reasonable 

23 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

I think the "issue" is the offside check shoukld be done before referee is asked to come over and check his own f**k up.  Instead of hoping something else clears him of his own f**k up.  

Who says it wasn’t?

In fact, the quote suggests that’s exactly what happens. 

VAR: I don’t think it’s a penalty. The easiest way out is for offside. 
*Checks*
VAR: It’s onside, so I suggest you go to the monitor. 

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Unfortunately you find that old firm pundits are willing to make themselves look extremely stupid in order to pander to their demographic. 

It’s a tried and tested strategy