Jump to content

VAR in Scottish Football


VAR in Scottish Football  

146 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Tonight is exactly what VAR is a good thing.

 

Referee gives the goal in real time but they take a look before confirming that it was write.

 

If there was no VAR the Faroes would be aggrieved at that decision but now they have no right to complain.

 

NOTHING ruins a game like a bad refereeing decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Tonight is exactly what VAR is a good thing.
 
Referee gives the goal in real time but they take a look before confirming that it was write.
 
If there was no VAR the Faroes would be aggrieved at that decision but now they have no right to complain.
 
NOTHING ruins a game like a bad refereeing decision.



VAR wasn't used in any of the bad refereeing decisions in the game and there were plenty. Was your experience ruined by them?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tonight is exactly what VAR is a good thing.
 
Referee gives the goal in real time but they take a look before confirming that it was write.
 
If there was no VAR the Faroes would be aggrieved at that decision but now they have no right to complain.
 
NOTHING ruins a game like a bad refereeing decision.
Nothing kills a game like slowing down a decision and then watching it from 20 different angles whilst a whole stadium waits for 10 minutes not having a clue what's going on.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Donathan said:

Referee gives the goal in real time but they take a look before confirming that it was write.

Or we scored a perfectly good goal and then had to hang around for several minutes for some unseen nerd watching replays to legitimise it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Donathan said:

Tonight is exactly what VAR is a good thing.

 

Referee gives the goal in real time but they take a look before confirming that it was write.

 

If there was no VAR the Faroes would be aggrieved at that decision but now they have no right to complain.

 

NOTHING ruins a game like a bad refereeing decision.

Given that it wasn't a handball they would have no right to complain if there was no VAR either - the replays showing it was a perfectly fine goal would still exist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Furthermore, the handball rule which says that even an accidental touch of the hand is a foul if it leads directly to a goal was introduced as a direct result of VAR. If VAR didn't exist then it wouldn't even be discussed since Dykes very clearly didn't deliberately handle it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Or we scored a perfectly good goal and then had to hang around for several minutes for some unseen nerd watching replays to legitimise it.

I'm not against goals being checked to make sure there was no foul play (we'd be up in arms if the Faroes had snatched a win or a draw Maradona-style last night).  But there should be a time limit. I'm not sure what the average time to restart is, but even if we give VAR a minute either to rule out a goal or at least send the referee to the monitor, that would ensure genuine mistakes are caught while not spending forever looking for an exact frame that proves wrongdoing (or not as the case may be).

Last night, the game would have restarted almost immediately; on Saturday, the referee would have been sent to the monitor fairly quickly. 

The "minute of uncertainty" also wouldn't be that different to the risk of the linesman calling the referee over for a hands-over-the-mouth chat, especially if VAR is only looking for things that are, to use the now-common expression, clear and obvious errors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Master said:

I'm not against goals being checked to make sure there was no foul play (we'd be up in arms if the Faroes had snatched a win or a draw Maradona-style last night).  But there should be a time limit. I'm not sure what the average time to restart is, but even if we give VAR a minute either to rule out a goal or at least send the referee to the monitor, that would ensure genuine mistakes are caught while not spending forever looking for an exact frame that proves wrongdoing (or not as the case may be).

Last night, the game would have restarted almost immediately; on Saturday, the referee would have been sent to the monitor fairly quickly. 

The "minute of uncertainty" also wouldn't be that different to the risk of the linesman calling the referee over for a hands-over-the-mouth chat, especially if VAR is only looking for things that are, to use the now-common expression, clear and obvious errors. 

Aye, 100% agree. There has been a noticeable decrease in how long it has taken in the EPL this year, which has made it far better IMO. How much that is to go with EPL referees having a few years experience with it and how much is a concentrated effort to make quicker decisions is probably up for debate though.

I think last night showed a more likely scenario of what it would be like practically in most Scottish grounds, which is a bit worrying. In most major leagues, there are 40 odd different camera angles to look at and for the VAR to make their decision. Last night there was only 2 or 3 angles to look at the goal, which is what happens in Scotland all the time (think the "trial by Sportscene pish"). 

If it is going to be introduced, and I think it is an inevitability, then we need to have a serious look at the infrastructure and camera operation at grounds so its not just a referee pouring over the same replay frame by frame. Who pays for that and can clubs/SFA/SPFL afford it is a separate issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

image.thumb.png.e12480e38f212256d7cf3e7be0643022.png

 

Having a look at leagues which currently use VAR, pretty much every other semi-decent league in Europe uses VAR. Its not a case of if it'll get introduced here, its when. 

Of course it is, doesn't mean anyone sane shouldn't think it's a bad idea. 

95% of fans who attended matches in England said it made the game experience worse.  

As with a lot of things, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

image.thumb.png.e12480e38f212256d7cf3e7be0643022.png

 

Having a look at leagues which currently use VAR, pretty much every other semi-decent league in Europe uses VAR. Its not a case of if it'll get introduced here, its when. 

And Scottish football is about to lose its’ USP that makes us different to all those leagues if we follow suit.

No chance I’ll ever be buying a season ticket again for a league which has VAR.

Rather go and watch the lower leagues where they still have some remaining soul.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

And Scottish football is about to lose its’ USP that makes us different to all those leagues if we follow suit.

No chance I’ll ever be buying a season ticket again for a league which has VAR.

Rather go and watch the lower leagues where they still have some remaining soul.

Scottish football doesn't have a "USP" 🤣 And if it did, it wouldn't be the lack of VAR.

 

Nearly 100% of people who watch Scottish football do so for one of the following reasons:

 

1. They are Scottish

2. They live in Scotland

3. They have some other connection to Scotland which draws them to watch our game.

 

There is precisely no one who has given up watching AEK Athens or FC Basel or Shakhtar Donetsk and has started watching St Mirren instead because they really want to follow a team in a league without VAR. No one. None.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

And Scottish football is about to lose its’ USP that makes us different to all those leagues if we follow suit.

No chance I’ll ever be buying a season ticket again for a league which has VAR.

Rather go and watch the lower leagues where they still have some remaining soul.

Aye, because loads of folk invest or watch Scottish football as a final battleground against VAR. Gies peace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Donathan said:

Scottish football doesn't have a "USP" 🤣 And if it did, it wouldn't be the lack of VAR.

 

Nearly 100% of people who watch Scottish football do so for one of the following reasons:

 

1. They are Scottish

2. They live in Scotland

3. They have some other connection to Scotland which draws them to watch our game.

 

There is precisely no one who has given up watching AEK Athens or FC Basel or Shakhtar Donetsk and has started watching St Mirren instead because they really want to follow a team in a league without VAR. No one. None.

That’s not what I said 😂😂😂

Scotlands uniqueness is based around its spontaneity, the SPFL launched a “Thats not football, this is football” promotion when all the Super League stuff came out as a swipe at the clubs for wanting to change it.

Every business has a USP, your wee bacon roll shop round the corner has a USP, that doesn’t mean people come from Buenos Aires to sample it, it’s the reasons for people to get their fix from your business instead of the big companies just like the reasons people watch Scottish football instead of the EPL/Champions League.

It really isn’t that difficult.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s a bit weird tbh. 

Not nearly as weird as people saying they will stop going to support their clubs because every so often there might be a short delay as the ref looks at a replay or gets confirmation a goal is legit.

Its inevitably going to happen, so I'm not going to get too stressed out or overly annoyed about it when it does happen (partly cause Thistle are unlikely to be effected in the short term to be fair). Loads of people on here sound like they will though, so should at least be a bit of a laugh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jacky1990 said:

Not nearly as weird as people saying they will stop going to support their clubs because every so often there might be a short delay as the ref looks at a replay or gets confirmation a goal is legit.

Its inevitably going to happen, so I'm not going to get too stressed out or overly annoyed about it when it does happen (partly cause Thistle are unlikely to be effected in the short term to be fair). Loads of people on here sound like they will though, so should at least be a bit of a laugh.

It won't stop anyone going.  It will just be another in the long line of things that make going to a game a worse experience but you have to lean to live with.  Like getting charged more for slightly different parts of the same stand, having to sit in a designated seat, after goal music...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...