VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

St Mirren have just had a goal awarded after VAR confirmed it had crossed the line. I don't think it was originally given.

Yes, and?

Nowhere did I say that VAR wouldn’t be used to give goals where the officials didn’t notice the ball was over the line. 

22 hours ago, ropy said:

Do other countries see VAR ratified red cards overturned?

Its a shame other VAR decisions can’t be overturned.

VAR had a bad week. 

Has happened in the English Premiership, VAR said that Luiz had headbutted somebody, and he was sent off. It was appealed and overturned.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/63352901.amp

6 hours ago, The Master said:

Yes, and?

Nowhere did I say that VAR wouldn’t be used to give goals where the officials didn’t notice the ball was over the line. 

This was literally the crux of the entire discussion, that me and several others were saying goalline technology wasn't really essential because VAR could be used, and you kept going on and on about stuff to do with a third point of reference and questioning which frame of the footage they could use.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This was literally the crux of the entire discussion, that me and several others were saying goalline technology wasn't really essential because VAR could be used, and you kept going on and on about stuff to do with a third point of reference and questioning which frame of the footage they could use.

I think you need to read those exchanges again. 

I have read those exchanges again, and I still think that is exactly what you were saying. I'm struggling to think of any other interpretation of comments like those below, given that the ongoing discussion was about whether GLT was actually really necessary when VAR was in operation:

"While you could in theory draw lines to see if the ball has crossed the line, how would you know exactly which frame to take the still from?"

"And how do you know the entire ball has crossed the line in the frame you've selected? Remember - we're talking about games without goal-line cameras."

"I'm genuinely trying to understand how you think VAR chooses the correct frame when there is no point of reference for doing so."

Then there is this very specific exchange, where a poster explains very clearly the type of incident which occurred last night, and you seemed to suggest it was some sort of impossibility to find a still image which showed the ball had crossed the line.

On 15/10/2022 at 22:58, DA Baracus said:

Surely any line/angle used that shows the entire ball has crossed the line is fine? Any still that shows it is the one to decide it. If no stills show it, it hasn't crossed the line and isn't a goal. Not getting where there can be ambiguity.

On 15/10/2022 at 23:02, The Master said:

And how do you find that still? 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I have read those exchanges again, and I still think that is exactly what you were saying. I'm struggling to think of any other interpretation of comments like those below, given that the ongoing discussion was about whether GLT was actually really necessary when VAR was in operation:

"While you could in theory draw lines to see if the ball has crossed the line, how would you know exactly which frame to take the still from?"

"And how do you know the entire ball has crossed the line in the frame you've selected? Remember - we're talking about games without goal-line cameras."

"I'm genuinely trying to understand how you think VAR chooses the correct frame when there is no point of reference for doing so."

Then there is this very specific exchange, where a poster explains very clearly the type of incident which occurred last night, and you seemed to suggest it was some sort of impossibility to find a still image which showed the ball had crossed the line.

The discussion was specifically around the use of the same technology (i.e., drawing of lines) used for offside.

At no point did I say VAR couldn't be used at all in determining whether or not the ball crossed the line. 

On 31/01/2023 at 03:22, Jacky1990 said:

I'm still in the camp of VAR being good in theory but have absolutely no faith in Scottish referees to make anything other than a clusterfuck of it.

It CAN be used well. Ive seen it be used well. 

But f**k me they havent half fucked it up. 

The only time I’ve seen it used (fairly) well is in the World Cup. Everything else is crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite impressive how a shirt tug on one player that had no chance of winning the ball resulted in a VAR review by the ref and a  penalty and another in a different game didn't warrant another look by the ref according to VAR.

What rules of shirt tugging can be so differently interpreted?  It's surely "pull of the shirt, have a look" or not.