VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That whole game at Tynecastle was a farce as far as officiating goes and VAR just made things weirder

when they do this at the rugby the crowd get to see the playback but it felt as if a penalty had just appeared out of the blue with no explanation for something that happened two chances ago

It was very weird, the ref at tynecastle yesterday seemed so heavily reliant on reassurance from VAR. Every time the crowd appealed he would pause the game at the next dead ball and wait for confirmation. As far as I was aware the ref on VAR will alert the on pitch ref when he needs to pause the game, which perhaps he was doing. Overall though it looked like the ref on the pitch had no confidence in any decisions he was making.

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That whole game at Tynecastle was a farce as far as officiating goes and VAR just made things weirder

when they do this at the rugby the crowd get to see the playback but it felt as if a penalty had just appeared out of the blue with no explanation for something that happened two chances ago

I think it would be an entertaining listen to here what the refs are saying to each other during every game/decision.
Selling ear pieces to fans would pay for VAR., or even to the coaching staff.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Michael Stewart is right that there should be some communication in terms of what the referees' instructions are regarding handball.

Whatever way you slice it, we're seeing penalties given that simply do not match up with the handball rule as available from IFAB.

Why?

That weasel Crawford Allan, head of referees at SFA, won’t come out & explain anything. 
VAR & its application is only emphasising how utterly shite the standard of our referees is. 

4 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

That weasel Crawford Allan, head of referees at SFA, won’t come out & explain anything. 
VAR & its application is only emphasising how utterly shite the standard of our referees is. 

Even if we disagreed with what they said, it would take the heat off the refs in terms of explaining why they (on-field and VAR) are giving decisions that seem contrary to the laws of the game.

I mean, we've got situations where two Category 1 referees are looking at an incident and making a decision that is objectively wrong. That needs to be addressed.

14 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Michael Stewart is right that there should be some communication in terms of what the referees' instructions are regarding handball.

Whatever way you slice it, we're seeing penalties given that simply do not match up with the handball rule as available from IFAB.

Why?

Agreed someone needs to get them across the law and have them apply it consistently. I can only comment on our games however comparing the one we didn’t get against you and the one given agains let us yesterday are very similar yet the decision and use of VAR are very different, you could even throw the one we got against Livi into the mix.

None are penalties imo if you correctly apply the IFAB handball rule but 2 are given. 

I'm just catching up on the Sportsound podcast from yesterday, but Michael Stewart is once more correct in that those who argued that it was fine to introduce VAR midway through a season now look pretty stupid.

We have games being refereed completely differently to earlier in the season, and that's just not right.

The whole thing has been a complete shambles. I wonder when the tide will turn in the media from the bizarre VAR cheerleading to an acceptance that this is absolute shite. There's even a noticeable difference in the tone of Sportsound towards VAR from yesterday.

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm just catching up on the Sportsound podcast from yesterday, but Michael Stewart is once more correct in that those who argued that it was fine to introduce VAR midway through a season now look pretty stupid.

We have games being refereed completely differently to earlier in the season, and that's just not right.

The whole thing has been a complete shambles. I wonder when the tide will turn in the media from the bizarre VAR cheerleading to an acceptance that this is absolute shite. There's even a noticeable difference in the tone of Sportsound towards VAR from yesterday.

It's shafted us big style.

The Sunday Mail do a "No VAR" league table " in which we're third with 25 points.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, It's preposterous that it was introduced part way through the season.

Inconsistency with refs was a huge problem before VAR. Nothing has changed in that respect IM.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

The blue bigots were awarded a free kick for this yesterday. Brother Dallas obviously thought that it wasn't worth reviewing.

It was obviously accidental, but it was still a foul IMO.

This is where if you impede someone kicking a ball it is a free kick against you

I get the whole 'VAR can't decide yellow cards' but surely upon reviewing a potential red card they can say to the ref that we don't think it's a red but it looks a yellow.

Not giving anything for that Hearts challenge just makes it look daft.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

18 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

As predicted, nobody talks about the actual fitba in the games anymore, it's all just hyper scrutiny of VAR decisions the entire time. Wonderful. 

Which is pretty much what the pundits wanted and why they were for it, i reckon. They did it anyway tbf, but my gut feeling is broadcasters can pad out programming a lot easier with """analysis""" of refereeing decisions thanks to VAR than the actual fucking football.

Sort of get it if its a dull 0-0 and theres one or two decisions to scrutinise, but its just going to be a circus more often than not.