VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If the other 18-yard camera was being used for close-ups of the dugouts instead of facing the play, that’s pretty incredible. 

The 18-yard cameras at non-live games are there only because of VAR, so that should be their first duty. 

The threat of a season ticket boycott is, of course, the only way that this gets resolved. VAR is fundamentally imperfect in its nature and can never get everything 100% perfect. We have a chance to create organised boycotts like we did ten years ago and vote with our wallets. Will enough of us? Sadly probably not.

I have written to Hibs twice on this issue now, and they have been informed that they will not be getting a single penny more of my money until they issue a club statement that explains why they were strongly in favour of VAR and why they did this without consulting the fans.

1 hour ago, HibsFan said:

The threat of a season ticket boycott is, of course, the only way that this gets resolved. VAR is fundamentally imperfect in its nature and can never get everything 100% perfect. We have a chance to create organised boycotts like we did ten years ago and vote with our wallets. Will enough of us? Sadly probably not.

I reckon in 24/25 you'll see a good few fans drop off (if not before). I think will give it a full season but after that when it's still baws we'll all drop away.

For offsides, I would be interested to hear how errors and uncertainties are factored into these systems, if at all.

The treatment of, and approach to applying errors and uncertainties in measurements and calculations is a whole topic in itself.

Someone kicking a ball isn't instantaneous. There is a measureable time during which the ball is in contact with the passer's foot, and the position of the other players will change during that time.

When we are disallowing goals for someone's toe being offside, it would be far more credible to have a range of values that accounted for the uncertainty in the operator choosing which frame to use for his still image. Unless your technology can guarantee the image was taken at the exact moment the ball left the passer's foot, you might as well be trying to pick your nose with boxing gloves on.

I couldn't care less who is complaining about it, and whether they've won or lost, I think it's fundamentally a good thing every time the various issues around VAR are brought up. There's obviously no bias involved, but it's absolutely fucking rubbish and it's useful to have the SFA (and indeed the clubs) having to constantly justify their decision to implement it.

9 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

From what has been stated, as I understand it, this camera has software that can map the pitch and presumably place the players involved at their locations on the pitch so it can work out if someone is on or off. That is a model though, not reality but apparently any possible error is zero.

The fact that "VAR" cameras are also being used for general coverage (the other 18 yard cam, hence no image) is just reducing things to farce. I can see why Celtic are wondering what is going on when that detail was pointed out. Is it feasible that both cams could have been picking up the game at the time?! What would they have done then?

VAR cameras are not being used for general coverage, rather broadcaster cameras are used to enhance VAR’S view. That’s how it was described on the BBC programme a few weeks ago.

8 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Often said here and elsewhere I'm anti VAR, and the furore from Celtic and their fans has emphasised why.

Presently, the technology used isn't sufficient to give a definitive offside or not decision, it's a simple as that. The position a piece of film is halted at to give the still image used to draw lines and decide offside is made by a human, and as such can be erroneous or manipulated.

There's been research done proving that VAR is inaccurate for offsides, I'll look for it, but the substance is that cameras filming at 50fps cannot catch exact footage to prove offside one way or another. The SFA should just show the research to Celtic and tell them to f**k off.

The FPS thing is why the English widened the line drawn, to minimise that possible error. Presumably the Scottish lines are of a similar width?

32 minutes ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

VAR cameras are not being used for general coverage, rather broadcaster cameras are used to enhance VAR’S view. That’s how it was described on the BBC programme a few weeks ago.

That’s…not right.

There’s only 6 cameras at every non-live game (7 if it’s on Alba). All are used for “general coverage”, and for VAR.

19 minutes ago, The Master said:

That’s…not right.

There’s only 6 cameras at every non-live game (7 if it’s on Alba). All are used for “general coverage”, and for VAR.

This article says the 6 are VAR’s, with no mention of being used for general coverage, but frankly I don’t care either way. Saw Liverpool 21 times last season and as a fan in the ground detest VAR! But the Scottish Clubs voted it in and pay for the minimal camera coverage up here, so it’s here, probably to stay. Fan protests and suggested boycott are pointless.