VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

VAR honestly could be the only thing that unites every set of fans in this league. Yes, a decision or two can go in your team's favour one week but you just know that the following week you'll get stuffed by it.

The amount of decisions going both for and against Hibs since it came in are absolutely baffling and if I was new to watching football/SPFL I'd probably think, nah stuff this. 

The implementation of VAR has been a disaster and this crop of referees has to be the worst that we've ever had up here. Every single one of them was already completely useless without VAR and they have somehow got worse since it's come in to 'help' them.

What is it going to take for the league to take a pause and think we've ballsed this one up? In my opinion, it would only be if a cup final or title decider involving Celtic and Rangers happens where there is a season changing decision wrongly given.

What a mess.

Edited by Cameron1875

I think VAR unites (to the extent that could ever be possible) match-going supporters as it has made the experience of going to a game worse with very little appreciable benefit. The main reason that clubs or the governing bodies didn't meaningfully consult on VAR was because they knew what the feedback was likely to be.

The single worse thing about VAR generally is that it has conditioned (some) people into thinking football works on objective decision making when that has simply never been the case.

2 hours ago, Crùbag said:

The cameras appear to work. What is flawed about them?

The only flaws(biases, say some) I can see are human.

Curtis Main patently dived. He could get a part in a Steven Seagal film ffs. Ditto that cheat that plays for Rangers. No-one falls to the ground like that in real life.

The media out defending Cantwell today I see. 

Seen claims that that's a normal reaction of someone being hit in the face as well. 

If that happens the other way round we know the reaction. Masses of abuse. 

VAR itself is possibly to blame for what, three wrong decisions since it came in? All offsides, all at the same end at Fir Park. The Celtic one a few months ago is genuinely impossible to tell, but the two on Saturday looked offside to the naked eye. Maybe they weren’t, but it would be nice to have an indicator from the SFA about how confident they are - Brentford scored an offside goal against Arsenal a few weeks ago and the FA apologised with an explanation of why they got it wrong. Radio silence here. 

The rest of the fiasco is hopeless referees looking at replays. I’m not really sure how anyone with even a passing knowledge of football could watch the handball in the Killie-St Johnstone game and get it wrong. All the technology in the world won’t help when incompetent referees watch the replays. 

It’s certainly more simple to say ‘scrap VAR’ but the officials would still have had a fucking howler this weekend. The Motherwell-Rangers goals and red card were all on-field decisions, the officials missed the St Johnstone handball, Willie Collum gave Livingston a free kick when their keeper Schumacer’d Brophy, Craig Napier gave St Mirren a dreadful penalty decision, the ref at Celtic Park missed the obvious penalty to Hibs, awarded the extremely soft Celtic one and gave them one of the worst penalty decisions I’ve ever seen later on which was thankfully overturned by VAR.

I don’t like VAR at all, but there’s no doubt we aren’t helping ourselves. Most of the decisions this weekend weren’t even subjective. 

Edited by Paco

On 19/03/2023 at 12:36, The Master said:

You’re not taking into account the perspective. The camera isn’t looking straight down the middle of the two lines, which forces our perception of the vanishing point closer to the start of the lines. 

Think of it this way: imagine the camera is looking perfectly down the middle of the two lines. The vanishing point is then somewhere in the distance (beyond the stand on the far side). The camera can only move left to right (along the x-axis, but it can rotate on its own axis) and the vanishing point can only move up and down between the parallel lines (along the y-axis). 

Now imagine the camera and vanishing point are tied together. As you move the camera along the x-axis, it pulls the vanishing point closer. You also need to rotate the camera move in order to still see the lines. 

That’s more or less how our perception of where a vanishing point is works. 

And that's what fitba's all about, really.

On 19/03/2023 at 07:36, The Master said:

You’re not taking into account the perspective. The camera isn’t looking straight down the middle of the two lines, which forces our perception of the vanishing point closer to the start of the lines. 

Think of it this way: imagine the camera is looking perfectly down the middle of the two lines. The vanishing point is then somewhere in the distance (beyond the stand on the far side). The camera can only move left to right (along the x-axis, but it can rotate on its own axis) and the vanishing point can only move up and down between the parallel lines (along the y-axis). 

Now imagine the camera and vanishing point are tied together. As you move the camera along the x-axis, it pulls the vanishing point closer. You also need to rotate the camera move in order to still see the lines. 

That’s more or less how our perception of where a vanishing point is works. 

This is what my Grandad started following Hibs for in the 30s right enough. :lol:

I would genuinely ban the phrase “it isn’t VAR that’s to blame, it’s the people running it!” until people can get it into their thick skulls that we (the anti-VAR lot) already know that that’s what VAR is, and that’s precisely why we don’t want it.

10 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I would genuinely ban the phrase “it isn’t VAR that’s to blame, it’s the people running it!” until people can get it into their thick skulls that we (the anti-VAR lot) already know that that’s what VAR is, and that’s precisely why we don’t want it.

Precisely. Some fail to realise that the technology is simply a human referee with various tools at their disposal. The clue is in the name.

5 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The media out defending Cantwell today I see. 

Seen claims that that's a normal reaction of someone being hit in the face as well. 

If that happens the other way round we know the reaction. Masses of abuse. 

images.jpeg.jpg.e81289984fb5053ff50fbf0146de82d5.jpg

Straight red for morelos earlier this season, not even a silly second yellow, straight off away you go

Guess the media narrative post match 

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Show me a moving video of that please

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12679058/hibernian-2-2-rangers-john-lundstram-alfredo-morelos-red-cards-and-penalty-incidents-analysed-by-scott-allan

Go to 1min 19 from there, he defo swings his arm back but barely catches him with his hand or forearm, 

Rangers fans rightly condemned his fucking stupidity for throwing his arm back, rather than moan at the hibs boy for going down

2 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12679058/hibernian-2-2-rangers-john-lundstram-alfredo-morelos-red-cards-and-penalty-incidents-analysed-by-scott-allan

Go to 1min 19 from there, he defo swings his arm back but barely catches him with his hand or forearm, 

Rangers fans rightly condemned his fucking stupidity for throwing his arm back, rather than moan at the hibs boy for going down

Good try.

Stevie Wonder can see the difference in these.

The whole thing is an absolute shitshow and needs binned as soon as possible. I don't think I've heard a single game going fan say that it's improved decision making. The media narrative now is that 'we thought it would sort everything,but it hasnt'

Noone thought it would sort everything and anyone with an ounce of sense knew it would be a fucking disaster up here. The fact that Ross County Vs Killie will have 5 or 6 cameras at it while Rangers Vs Celtic will have 26 shows everything that's wrong with it. 

Scottish refs were desperate for it as they wouldnt get any career progression without it while simply not being a totally useless c**t to start with might help. The amount that our refs seem to rely on VAR and the fact they still manage to make a monumental c**t of it will not have gone unnoticed by UEFA and FIFA so let's just bin it, be an outlier and allow the big leagues with the big money to ref the big things.

As an aside, how many leagues in Africa/Asia/Central America have VAR because if this stops them reffing at a world cup level then surely we just end up with big league refs reffing the big games anyway. 

30 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The amount that our refs seem to rely on VAR and the fact they still manage to make a monumental c**t of it will not have gone unnoticed by UEFA and FIFA so let's just bin it

See this bit, I dunno if that's true? Not this weekend anyway - 

Curtis Main's dive - should've went to the monitor. 

Considine's handball - should've went to the monitor. 

Youan sending off - can't go to the monitor. 

Slattery sending off - can't go to the monitor.

I can't really recall too many decisions this season where the ref has gone to the monitor and still made a c**t of it. If anything, there's a case for the on-field ref to use VAR more. 

The idea of VAR is good. But, in reality VAR is fucking shite. Get it to f**k.

Moron referees on the pitch making a complete c**t of things (as has always been the case) but now with some absolute walloper in a cupboard with a TV either trying to back his mate up or just being as moronic as him.

8 hours ago, Cameron1875 said:

VAR honestly could be the only thing that unites every set of fans in this league. Yes, a decision or two can go in your team's favour one week but you just know that the following week you'll get stuffed by it.

The amount of decisions going both for and against Hibs since it came in are absolutely baffling and if I was new to watching football/SPFL I'd probably think, nah stuff this. 

The implementation of VAR has been a disaster and this crop of referees has to be the worst that we've ever had up here. Every single one of them was already completely useless without VAR and they have somehow got worse since it's come in to 'help' them.

What is it going to take for the league to take a pause and think we've ballsed this one up? In my opinion, it would only be if a cup final or title decider involving Celtic and Rangers happens where there is a season changing decision wrongly given.

What a mess.

Can we please get the fucking week where it falls in our favour just once?

Just seen the highlights of the Motherwell v Rangers match. I've seen scores of offside decisions which have had VAR lines drawn and have always agreed with what's shown. No idea what happened at Fir Park, but both the Motherwell first goal and Rangers third goal are clearly offside.