VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The stuff not being reviewed at times appears more obviously 'missed' than incidents which are deemed to require a VAR review. In the Germany - Costa Rica match I was sure a German was clearly pulled to the ground in the box at a corner. No review.

If the hand picked best in the world officials are being so selective, then we can expect far worse decisions from the refs sitting in their Glasgow VAR studio. 

5 hours ago, Clown Job said:

They really need to look at the offside rule, it’s not fit for purpose in a VAR world 

2371AF69-368A-4652-9C10-2B586E02D6A3.png

Or better still, just go back to pre-VAR where everything exciting isn’t overanalysed and we can just play football again.

I’d like to see the big Countdown clock fitted in every stadium, with the countdown music and everything going on while VAR are making their decision. If they can’t decide in 30 seconds, we move on. Tension, drama, decisions. It’s got it all. 

Edited by CoF

3 minutes ago, CoF said:

I’d like to see the big Countdown clock fitted in every stadium, with the countdown music and everything going on while VAR are making their decision. If they can’t decide in 30 seconds, we move on. Tension, drama, decisions. It’s got it all. 

That would just end up in match threads on here being full of "that 30s actually took 27s/35s"

I had assumed VAR wouldn't be used in the Scottish Cup until the semi-final as that's the first round they'd be able to guarantee all stadiums have the facilities for it, but apparently they're using it for televised ties at top flight grounds from the 4th round. What a fucking nonsense having different rules for different games in the same round of one competition.

I'd thought Morton could at least avoid having to suffer it and laugh at those complaining as the only club who voted against, but sadly not.

10 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I had assumed VAR wouldn't be used in the Scottish Cup until the semi-final as that's the first round they'd be able to guarantee all stadiums have the facilities for it, but apparently they're using it for televised ties at top flight grounds from the 4th round. What a fucking nonsense having different rules for different games in the same round of one competition.

I'd thought Morton could at least avoid having to suffer it and laugh at those complaining as the only club who voted against, but sadly not.

Rightly or wrongly, it's pretty consistent with other countries.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 15/04/2022 at 19:40, Hoose Rice said:

I want the amount of dodgy, uncontested decisions Celtic and Rangers get in their favour every single week to cease.   If a year or two after VAR is introduced there is still the same shit happening then I hope the clubs then decide against it.  But unless it happens we will never know. 

Livi aren't in the top 6 right now because of two mental decisions against them v St johnstone also which awarded 3 points which effects Dundee too.   

On 04/04/2022 at 22:52, Donathan said:

It is when you have officials that consistently give soft penalties to the old firm clubs. Ultimately, I feel much better about decisions going against my club if they’ve been checked by qualified officials who don’t have to rely on the naked eye in real time. Not that I’m going to get that any time soon with us in league one, but as someone who watches plenty of international football, European competitions with VAR and the English premier league and other European leagues, I actually find the suspense of a VAR review adds to the excitement of a game. 

On 01/01/2022 at 18:20, Yorky said:

Refs favour the old firm, right ? So var comes in and they continue to do that only to have their decisions overruled. They are going to look incompetent or biased very quickly and as such will need to change and improve. I’m all for it.

On 04/10/2021 at 13:23, ZingaliMan said:

Was not for VAR the game in Scotland is stopped enough without VAR being added.  However 10 games in my own club have had 3 goals chopped off that should have stood going by analysts by tv pundits.  If stood St Mirren would be sitting on a further 6 points. So now im all for VAR we all suffer from shit refs especially against the old firm. 

On 01/10/2021 at 22:37, welldaft said:

I am genuinely surprised how many are against it. Is it perfect = NO.

Is it needed at Ibrox and Parkhead = 100% yes.

Smaller teams will not be unduly disadvantaged but the Old firm will not get away with all dodgy decisions. This week we saw an offside goal against Fashion Sakala in Europa League for almost an indentical situation v Motherwell at Ibrox when decision was to award the goal.

Right now I would say refs get about 70% of decisions correct. If that is increased to 95% I am all for it.  

On 07/10/2021 at 15:38, Theyellowbox said:

I think there is no doubt that having VAR changes the way fans react to goals and penalties etc as whichever way it goes, you expect it will be checked and that takes away from the instantaneous reactions.

However, the argument that it delays the game is nonsense. Any decision that is contentions such as a penalty, has a long wait anyway as either the players are moaning or trying to slow the process down anyway.

For the viewers at home VAR adds to the excitement and in the ground, probably diminishes it a bit, but if we do not go with VAR, we will be massively out of step with everyone else. Sky will demand it, as will UEFA eventually. How sustainable is it for players to play internationally and in Europe with it, but not domestically.

Even folk in the ground, used to seeing it on all other TV games will have a moments pause if it is not there.

There is deffinately plusses and minuses over it and as a game going fan I'm not sure I'd like the uncertain delay if it goes against my team, but would love it if it went for my team.

Part of football is the debate over the refs decisions, but given there is so many tv angles already and can be checked in real time, the not using VAR is becoming unsustainable.

Not to mention that in Scotland, there is an over heightened sense of un level playing field felt by all fans. Rangers and Cetic fans think the refs favour the other and everyone else thinks they favour them two. VAR won't 100% change that, but it will take away a degree of it.

I do think we need to be careful to make it equal though. Cannot have some games getting 5-6 angles and others just 2 because of camera coverage. Also need (and I think this is already the case) clubs NOT to be able to show the replays on big screens.

Complete nuggets. 

3 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

Complete nuggets. 

VAR isn't the problem, it's to corrupt referees. If they could use the system properly, the delays would be minimal. If they could not continue their bias via VAR it would work. But, I conced, it has been a complete shambles in Scotland. 

The penalty,  I can't tell with that footage.

The sending off. High and reckless, catches him below the knee. I'd have been moaning if that was just a yellow.

Jack's yellow. A stupid petulant tackle to make,  could have easily been a red though. Collums ego may have saved Jack.

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

VAR isn't the problem, it's to corrupt referees. If they could use the system properly, the delays would be minimal. If they could not continue their bias via VAR it would work. But, I conced, it has been a complete shambles in Scotland

VAR is the problem, and it's been a shambles everywhere. It's a stupid, stupid idea.