VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

38 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I don’t think it would as a VAR goal check would only pick up from when the attacking phase started which is the pass going to Maradona from Henrique. I’m also pretty sure it’s Beardsley not Hoddle who lost possession to Cuciuffo who then passed to Henrique and the attacking phase begins. I may have watched this goal a few times 😉

So aye Lineker would be wrong. The cheek of him to even suggest it 😂

Further to this, VAR might have been interested in some of the tackles going in on Maradona day that. Even in this couple of minutes of footage Terry Fenwick alone manages to cram in two stick on red card offences. 😀

3 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I've just seen Gary Lineker point out, quite reasonably, that the foul on Glenn Hoddle in the build up would have seen Maradona's second goal against England disallowed by VAR.

Has anyone pointed out to Gary Lineker that had goal line technology been a thing in 1966, England's third goal wouldn't have been.

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Further to this, VAR might have been interested in some of the tackles going in on Maradona day that. Even in this couple of minutes of footage Terry Fenwick alone manages to cram in two stick on red card offences. 😀

Most games from that era would end up with less than 20 players on the field if refereed by modern standards with or without VAR

8 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

"Sorry, I want to cry. Dear God, long live football."

I Love It Reaction GIF by Magic: The Gathering

On 13/11/2022 at 13:44, Alert Mongoose said:

I get the whole 'VAR can't decide yellow cards' but surely upon reviewing a potential red card they can say to the ref that we don't think it's a red but it looks a yellow.

This happened in a Killie game just a week or two back, can't recall who it was against tbh.

Ref gave a instant red against an opposition player, got a message in his ear, went over to look at the monitor then changed his decision to a yellow card.

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

VAR decides to rule out the opening game of the World Cup, two minutes after it’s scored, because someones offside.

Kinda, technically. 

I hate anybody that ever liked VAR. You’re all mad!

Tbf, there's no kinda about it. It was offside. I'm no a big fan of VAR, but that one hasn't been made on opinions. It was offside.

Nobody in the ground or watching, including the opposing team, thought there was anything wrong with that goal at the time. Whether or not it's the correct decision, you have to question whether that was the stated purpose of having such a system.

Nobody in the ground or watching, including the opposing team, thought there was anything wrong with that goal at the time. Whether or not it's the correct decision, you have to question whether that was the stated purpose of having such a system.
Yes it was. It was under the heading Sucking the enjoyment out of the game.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

And while it is offside, it should only matter to folk who sleep on a bed of rulers.

The offside law exists to prevent goal hanging, not this.

Ruining the game because a guys fcuking kneecap was offside! I hate you all!

18 hours ago, ArabFC said:

VAR decides to rule out the opening game of the World Cup, two minutes after it’s scored, because someones offside.

Kinda, technically. 

I hate anybody that ever liked VAR. You’re all mad!

18 hours ago, AuAl said:

Tbf, there's no kinda about it. It was offside. I'm no a big fan of VAR, but that one hasn't been made on opinions. It was offside.

16 hours ago, ArabFC said:

And while it is offside, it should only matter to folk who sleep on a bed of rulers.

The offside law exists to prevent goal hanging, not this.

Ruining the game because a guys fcuking kneecap was offside! I hate you all!

I’ve watched it a few times and seen various stills but I still cannot see where the offside is. Can anyone explain it to me? 

1 hour ago, CoF said:

I’ve watched it a few times and seen various stills but I still cannot see where the offside is. Can anyone explain it to me? 

the angle they showed on tv replays was quite deceptive in that there was a second ecuador player hidden from view by his team mate and the qatar keeper and he is offside from the header

On 21/11/2022 at 13:02, craigkillie said:

This angle shows it. That guy won the header with the keeper, the ball looped up in the air, and the forward ahead of him was the next player to touch the ball.

On 21/11/2022 at 13:07, Cptn Hooch said:

the angle they showed on tv replays was quite deceptive in that there was a second ecuador player hidden from view by his team mate and the qatar keeper and he is offside from the header

Cheers! Makes sense now. 

I think VAR has been employed really well at the World Cup. In the main decisions have been indicated quickly and clearly. Hopefully we can reach a similar level of competence in Scotland. 

My missus actually pointed out that it seems to have almost eradicated simulation from the games, which I hadn't realised before. But yeah there has been much less diving around, which had been a blight on previous World Cups. 

Edited by Lurkst

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

My missus actually pointed out that it seems to have almost eradicated simulation from the games, which I hadn't realised before. But yeah there has been much less diving around, which had been a blight on previous World Cups. 

While it might have reduced it a bit, Ronaldo actually won a penalty by diving, that wasn't overturned somehow (presumably because there was the slightest contact then they argued it wasn't a clear and obvious error).

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

I think VAR has been employed really well at the World Cup. In the main decisions have been indicated quickly and clearly. Hopefully we can reach a similar level of competence in Scotland. 

I think the diving's been horrendous this World Cup.