VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

If they're the correct decision then obviously justice is being done.

I dont really understand what "justice being done" means.

There are a number of incidents mentioned in the previous page from the Hearts v Livi match where VAR didnt intervene.

VAR is turning every match into a circus right now, the fans dont know what the hell is going on, and if you are in a stadium where it is in operation, you would see that.

It's also the case that we are yet to have the "opitmal banter" decision yet.  Where at Ibrox or parkhead the home team score to take the lead and this is chopped off for a penalty at the other end,  ideally in the last few minutes of the game. The normal human reactions to this, regardless of the merits of the call wil be entertaining at the very least.

21 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

It's also the case that we are yet to have the "opitmal banter" decision yet.  Where at Ibrox or parkhead the home team score to take the lead and this is chopped off for a penalty at the other end,  ideally in the last few minutes of the game. The normal human reactions to this, regardless of the merits of the call wil be entertaining at the very least.

Sure, we are all human after all  😉 !

But I think, as I mention above, I dont think many of us thought (having mostly only seen VAR on English tv matches) just how poor the "in stadium" experience is.

Naively I had expected to see the kind of views and replays we saw on these televised games - what we actually have is fans being told next to nothing and the big screens that most of the larger clubs now have are not utilised properly (imo).

That may be the same in the English stadiums, but it doesnt make it right.

I caught about 15 minutes of the egg chasing yesterday and their TMO is quick, decisions are shown on the screen and - even though there are still subjective decisions - how it is communicated is infinitely superior.

48 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Sure, we are all human after all  😉 !

But I think, as I mention above, I dont think many of us thought (having mostly only seen VAR on English tv matches) just how poor the "in stadium" experience is.

Naively I had expected to see the kind of views and replays we saw on these televised games - what we actually have is fans being told next to nothing and the big screens that most of the larger clubs now have are not utilised properly (imo).

That may be the same in the English stadiums, but it doesnt make it right.

I caught about 15 minutes of the egg chasing yesterday and their TMO is quick, decisions are shown on the screen and - even though there are still subjective decisions - how it is communicated is infinitely superior.

They don't show the incident(s) being checked on the screens in England either (it says there is a check and what for). In fact, does this happen anywhere?

Unsure why it can't though.

However, get VAR to f**k.

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

For spreadsheet shaggers maybe, but dishing out lucky dip penalties for handball doesn't really improve any normal viewer's sense of justice.

This is at least partly down to the  relatively new interpretation of the handball law which covers a lot of innocuous cases which would have been  “ball played man” and instead puts the presumption of guilt on the defender

The problems with this change were more than apparent already but they’re only amplified by being applied in slow motion after the event 

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They don't show the incident(s) being checked on the screens in England either (it says there is a check and what for). In fact, does this happen anywhere?

I may be mistaken, but I think Nottingham Forest showed a VAR decision on the big screen at their ground last weekend. Although I'm not sure if this was actually the footage the referee was shown or if it was part of their own coverage. I'm sure it caused a bit of a meltdown in the stadium as it was when they conceded a penalty.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

For spreadsheet shaggers maybe, but dishing out lucky dip penalties for handball doesn't really improve any normal viewer's sense of justice.

It's not implemented to improve a "normal viewers sense of justice". Its there to get the decisions correct, which you said it is.

I may be mistaken, but I think Nottingham Forest showed a VAR decision on the big screen at their ground last weekend. Although I'm not sure if this was actually the footage the referee was shown or if it was part of their own coverage. I'm sure it caused a bit of a meltdown in the stadium as it was when they conceded a penalty.

Yeah a few clubs seem to show a decision on the big screen after it has/hasn't been given. I think it is part of their standard replays rather than VAR.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I know the Comms down there leaves a lot to be desired too, but like I say......rugby is light years ahead.

Agreed on your last line !

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I know the Comms down there leaves a lot to be desired too, but like I say......rugby is light years ahead.

Agreed on your last line !

Although Rugby's recent law changes have given it a worse red/yellow card lottery problem than football

ETA: Rugby is at least doing it to in an attempt to stop people being seriously injured as opposed to appease utter roasters on twitter

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

13 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

31 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I've just seen Gary Lineker point out, quite reasonably, that the foul on Glenn Hoddle in the build up would have seen Maradona's second goal against England disallowed by VAR.

I was wavering as to whether o was watching the world cup or not. The prospect of VAR reviews of 60 years worth of hard luck stories from those c***s has clinched it. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I've just seen Gary Lineker point out, quite reasonably, that the foul on Glenn Hoddle in the build up would have seen Maradona's second goal against England disallowed by VAR.

I don’t think it would as a VAR goal check would only pick up from when the attacking phase started which is the pass going to Maradona from Henrique. I’m also pretty sure it’s Beardsley not Hoddle who lost possession to Cuciuffo who then passed to Henrique and the attacking phase begins. I may have watched this goal a few times 😉

So aye Lineker would be wrong. The cheek of him to even suggest it 😂

Edited by Jinky67