VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I agree but the consensus seems to be that a yellow can never be given after VAR unless I've got that wrong?

The only yellow cards that can be given as a result of a VAR review are for diving in the box. 

Even then it can only happen if a penalty is initially given then overturned. 

54 minutes ago, The Master said:

The only yellow cards that can be given as a result of a VAR review are for diving in the box. 

What's the rule on a booking after a VAR ruling, like allowing play to go on when someone is offside, or a hand ball penalty, and letting play go on several minutes before pulling it back for a VAR check on the monitor and a pen being awarded? 

Seems crazy that a player could get booked because play keeps going, but if a goal is scored it will be chopped off but not a booking.

6 hours ago, The Wrong Car said:

My main gripe with VAR is the impact on the experience of fans in the stadium. While we struggled to update fans on Tuesday with no screen, for the same thing to happen at Tynecastle is a major worry. I don’t think a single Livi fan or player was appealing for a penalty there

Yeah Nouble is that used to being held onto and having his shirt pulled i don't think it even dawned on him to claim the pen, i saw it and said to my mate when they first signaled the VAR check it must be for us, with Nouble being fouled. We def wouldn't have gotten that one without VAR though. Still don't know how they reviewed Devlin being taken out by a reckless challenge and didn't deem it enough for the ref to go look at the monitor, if that wasn't a red card challenge i don't know what is.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I agree but the consensus seems to be that a yellow can never be given after VAR unless I've got that wrong?
Jason Holt was booked for a handball on Tuesday night that was given by VAR. Oddly the Aberdeen player who did literally the same thing wasn't [emoji848]

5 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Jason Holt was booked for a handball on Tuesday night that was given by VAR. Oddly the Aberdeen player who did literally the same thing wasn't emoji848.png

Sorry, that was badly worded on my part. Bookings for diving are the only ones that are a direct consequence of a VAR review. 

A yellow card can also be given as a result of another decision being through VAR - such as a penalty. 

11 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

🤔

Clearly there are 19 incidents that were worthy of a penalty.

The refs were just bottling awarding them prior to VAR. When you have to make the judgement in real time, you won’t award a penalty unless you’re pretty sure you should. VAR on the other hand can properly analyse the difficult decisions. 

Clearly there are 19 incidents that were worthy of a penalty.

The refs were just bottling awarding them prior to VAR. When you have to make the judgement in real time, you won’t award a penalty unless you’re pretty sure you should. VAR on the other hand can properly analyse the difficult decisions. 

A large number of these decisions were handballs that weren't visible in real time, and which hardly any players even appealed for. They may prove to be technically correct decisions in most cases, but them not being given is not down to refs bottling it, nor do I think it's seeing actual justice being done.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

A large number of these decisions were handballs that weren't visible in real time, and which hardly any players even appealed for. They may prove to be technically correct decisions in most cases, but them not being given is not down to refs bottling it, nor do I think it's seeing actual justice being done.

If they're the correct decision then obviously justice is being done.

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

They didn’t have a decent view of Celtic’s goal against Motherwell

That wasn’t the technology in itself. It was the production company forgetting that the 18-yard cameras are there for VAR first, highlights second. 

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

and this looks like it was taken on a 2003 Nokia.

B39EDC31-284C-4193-AAAE-F812E1B83CEB.jpeg

Who’d have thought that zooming and cropping an image would reduce its resolution.

A freeze frame of a moving video on a mobile device will also always be poor quality. 

It's not been a great introduction for VAR, no doubt.  But "we" the pundits, the posters, the fans, the players and managers do need to get a handle on what the rules are.  Some of the fucking hysteria, looking at you celtic twitter, has been incredible. And almost worth it. 

Biggest improvement that can be made is making a better effort at informng the fans what the f**k is going on. Ludicrous that the last to know if at all is the customer.