VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

This article says the 6 are VAR’s, with no mention of being used for general coverage, but frankly I don’t care either way. Saw Liverpool 21 times last season and as a fan in the ground detest VAR! But the Scottish Clubs voted it in and pay for the minimal camera coverage up here, so it’s here, probably to stay. Fan protests and suggested boycott are pointless.

https://www.Scottishfa.co.uk/news/video-assistant-referee-var-qa/

2 minutes ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

This article says the 6 are VAR’s, with no mention of being used for general coverage,

You only need to watch one game on Sportscene to see that the 6 cameras are also used for the general match coverage. 

1 minute ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

That just says that if there are any additional cameras beyond the core 6, they can also be used.

It doesn't say the 6 aren't used for general coverage. 

1 hour ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

The FPS thing is why the English widened the line drawn, to minimise that possible error. Presumably the Scottish lines are of a similar width?

Thanks for that, they'd have to widen the lines much further to get close to the reality of a ball being kicked and the on or offside player moving beyond the second last man. 

Is the kick recorded as it commences, or as it leaves a player's boot? For that takes up quite a few of the frames per second.

And the main question following on from that is, where do you draw the line?

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Thanks for that, they'd have to widen the lines much further to get close to the reality of a ball being kicked and the on or offside player moving beyond the second last man. 

Is the kick recorded as it commences, or as it leaves a player's boot? For that takes up quite a few of the frames per second.

And the main question following on from that is, where do you draw the line?

In England, I believe they narrow it down to two sequential frames: "not kicked" and "kicked", then use the latter. The kick itself will almost certainly have happened somewhere in between.

The only way to improve things is to have cameras with a faster frame rate. But given none of the "big" leagues have such a luxury yet, I doubt we'll see them in Scotland this century. 

Ignore everything I've said on this thread. It's an absolute Disc Race that VAR (Very Anti Redandwhitehoops) isn't in the Championship as it's clear that the officials are bias against the big teams such as Celtic, St Mirren and Accies. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I think he's implying refs have taken bribes.

So the typical Celtic moron conspiracy laughable pish.

The SFA should ban him from any official participation in the game for that sort of shit. Strip his gold cap/hall of fame membership.

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

The SFA should ban him from any official participation in the game for that sort of shit. Strip his gold cap/hall of fame membership.

If that is indeed what he means then I agree. Get that sort of frenzy whipping, lowlife, braindead pish to f**k.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

As predicted, nobody talks about the actual fitba in the games anymore, it's all just hyper scrutiny of VAR decisions the entire time. Wonderful. 

Even worse when Michael Stewart and co refuse to actually look at the footage.

The Kilmarnock penalty they were on the verge of tears about was clearly a foul. The Hibs player stands on Polworth's foot  and the lines man gives the foul. Possibly a soft foul but all VAR was checking was if it was in the box which it clearly was.

17 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Even worse when Michael Stewart and co refuse to actually look at the footage.

The Kilmarnock penalty they were on the verge of tears about was clearly a foul. The Hibs player stands on Polworth's foot  and the lines man gives the foul. Possibly a soft foul but all VAR was checking was if it was in the box which it clearly was.

Was about to post this. Saying the assistant was flagging for a corner as well! Seems like he wanted VAR to overturn a decision given by the assistant 10 yards away when the replays show contact (the VAR would've checked but not a "clear and obvious" error) - not long after saying VAR was right not to get involved in the Nouble penalty appeal before the Hearts goal...

And for the offside Hibs goal they didn't point out that the assistant had correctly flagged it as offside anyway.

Edited by Ginaro

Jesus Christ, that’s a horror tackle.

However, I’ve just had a quick scan of the replies and quote tweets and apparently it’s the officials’ fault, not VAR.

There was me thinking VAR stood for Video Assistant Referee and was clearly a fucking official. Silly me!