VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

If you’re going to try and argue this is a reasonable angle to show fans for a VAR decision 

Im just not going to believe you 

18C781CA-05EA-4EAE-A2F1-7B31F114D331.jpeg

It certainly isn't reasonable and just further emphasises the views of those that are critical of VAR. If, as has been suggested, that there was another camera available on the opposite 18-yard line, I have no idea why they'd show this one. Amateur.

22 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

If you’re going to try and argue this is a reasonable angle to show fans for a VAR decision 

Im just not going to believe you 

18C781CA-05EA-4EAE-A2F1-7B31F114D331.jpeg

From what has been stated, as I understand it, this camera has software that can map the pitch and presumably place the players involved at their locations on the pitch so it can work out if someone is on or off. That is a model though, not reality but apparently any possible error is zero.

The fact that "VAR" cameras are also being used for general coverage (the other 18 yard cam, hence no image) is just reducing things to farce. I can see why Celtic are wondering what is going on when that detail was pointed out. Is it feasible that both cams could have been picking up the game at the time?! What would they have done then?

Edited by rainbowrising

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

It certainly isn't reasonable and just further emphasises the views of those that are critical of VAR. If, as has been suggested, that there was another camera available on the opposite 18-yard line, I have no idea why they'd show this one. Amateur.

From what I’ve read there’s a suggestion this camera was pointed at the managerial dug out.

1C3604F5-39F9-4580-AE08-803A201D40F9.jpeg

Edited by stressball

9 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

From what has been stated, as I understand it, this camera has software that can map the pitch and presumably place the players involved at their locations on the pitch so it can work out if someone is on or off. That is a model though, not reality but apparently any possible error is zero.

I appreciate that you're just repeating what you've been told, but that sounds like absolute pish. There is no doubt technology possible which could create an accurate 3D map of all objects on the pitch at any given time, but not with one camera nor half a dozen cameras.

21 minutes ago, Michael W said:

VAR is only in Scottish football because Celtic (and Rangers) demanded it. They have learned absolutely nothing from the weekly debacles the EPL has, yet demanded it anyway. 

They can away and lie in their own pish. 

All SPFL clubs bar one voted in favour of introducing VAR so this is clearly nonsense.

To suggest it was only introduced at the behest of Rangers and Celtic is also nonsense considering there is only 1 league in the top 30 in Europe (I believe) that don’t use it. It was always going to go to a vote.

14 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I appreciate that you're just repeating what you've been told, but that sounds like absolute pish. There is no doubt technology possible which could create an accurate 3D map of all objects on the pitch at any given time, but not with one camera nor half a dozen cameras.

The SFA statement on the Jota goal says that using Hawkeye technology they can "calibrate an accurate decision". So they must be putting information from an image in to some kind of technology and making a call on it. Accurate and just how accurate? No idea but they imply some sort of mapping is being used (maybe painting a straight line on a screen is as far as it goes!)

Often said here and elsewhere I'm anti VAR, and the furore from Celtic and their fans has emphasised why.

Presently, the technology used isn't sufficient to give a definitive offside or not decision, it's a simple as that. The position a piece of film is halted at to give the still image used to draw lines and decide offside is made by a human, and as such can be erroneous or manipulated.

There's been research done proving that VAR is inaccurate for offsides, I'll look for it, but the substance is that cameras filming at 50fps cannot catch exact footage to prove offside one way or another. The SFA should just show the research to Celtic and tell them to f**k off.

5 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Often said here and elsewhere I'm anti VAR, and the furore from Celtic and their fans has emphasised why.

Presently, the technology used isn't sufficient to give a definitive offside or not decision, it's a simple as that. The position a piece of film is halted at to give the still image used to draw lines and decide offside is made by a human, and as such can be erroneous or manipulated.

There's been research done proving that VAR is inaccurate for offsides, I'll look for it, but the substance is that cameras filming at 50fps cannot catch exact footage to prove offside one way or another. The SFA should just show the research to Celtic and tell them to f**k off.

That's got to be going in the pro VAR column, surely?