VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Meathead said:

This sentiment is expressed often but VAR is only here to stay if fans (specifically season ticket holders) allow it to stay, whether through choice or inaction. Fans largely weren't consulted on its introduction because the clubs assume that most of us will return season after season regardless. They rely on fans as a collective being too myopic, too petty and too disorganised to come together and unite under a common banner. This isn't specific to VAR and also applies to lots of other things we all moan about: ticket prices, games being moved for TV, etc.

We saw what's possible back in 2012 with the vote on admitting Rangers - fans en masse withheld their season ticket money, and eventually the clubs had no choice but to change course and do what we wanted. I don't think the strength of feeling is there at the moment for such a campaign to materialise for the removal of VAR, and maybe it never will be, but the clubs will vote to remove it if a critical mass of their customers withhold their money until that happens.

I like your optimisim. 

That looks like a stonewall penalty to Killie that VAR didn't ask for a check on.

Going back to Tomy Watt red card, VAR announced a check for serious foul play.

Does the ref have the binary option of original decision or serious foul play and a red or can they give a booking?

30 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Going back to Tomy Watt red card, VAR announced a check for serious foul play.

Does the ref have the binary option of original decision or serious foul play and a red or can they give a booking?

I think it's the former. The VAR can only recommend a review if they believe a red card offence has been committed, if the referee disagrees he sticks with the original decision. 

The 3 pens in the Aberdeen game the other night were a total joke, personally didn't think that any of them merited a penalty kick. While I agree that the issue here is the handball law and not VAR, VAR exacerbates the issues of the handball law. 

I didn't want it before it came in and having been at Pittodrie for the Hibs game and watched the Livi game, I want it even less. As I predicted, it's totally ruining the game for the game going punter. 

55 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The 3 pens in the Aberdeen game the other night were a total joke, personally didn't think that any of them merited a penalty kick. While I agree that the issue here is the handball law and not VAR, VAR exacerbates the issues of the handball law. 

I didn't want it before it came in and having been at Pittodrie for the Hibs game and watched the Livi game, I want it even less. As I predicted, it's totally ruining the game for the game going punter. 

I can definitely see the reasoning behind the first 2 penalties as there is a movement of the hands/arms towards the ball, although Holt got booked and Barron didn't which I really don't get. The last one was laughable in all honesty, a defender with his arm out to balance himself gets penalised because Miovski heads the ball onto his arm from inches away. Ball to hand seems to have disappeared completely from the game.

As Martindale said in his post match interview, if they're giving hand balls in the box as pens, no matter how it hits your hand, then as long as it's given consistently in every game we'll know what to expect. If your arm is in front of your body or down at your sides it seems ok, if however and they are raised above your head or out from your sides then it's a pen.

Also agree with what he said after the Celtic game, now pens are given for the ball hitting your hand whenever it is out from your body, players will try flicking the ball up to hit your arm/hand in the box.

Natural or unnatural position seems a silly phrase though, there is fuckall natural about running towards a player with your arms held behind your back, or right in at your side like a robot, and same the other way around, when you jump or slide in to block a shot, it's quite natural to have your arms out/up balancing yourself. But you've to run/jump like a weirdo with your arms stuck to your sides.

12 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

As Martindale said in his post match interview, if they're giving hand balls in the box as pens, no matter how it hits your hand, then as long as it's given consistently in every game we'll know what to expect. If your arm is in front of your body or down at your sides it seems ok, if however and they are raised above your head or out from your sides then it's a pen.

Also agree with what he said after the Celtic game, now pens are given for the ball hitting your hand whenever it is out from your body, players will try flicking the ball up to hit your arm/hand in the box.

Natural or unnatural position seems a silly phrase though, there is fuckall natural about running towards a player with your arms held behind your back, or right in at your side like a robot, and same the other way around, when you jump or slide in to block a shot, it's quite natural to have your arms out/up balancing yourself. But you've to run/jump like a weirdo with your arms stuck to your sides.

Unless of course you have Beaton refereeing his team…

No penalty awarded (he was looking right at it).

No VAR intervention.

When you see some of the handball penalties given around the country, and this isn’t, no wonder many think the game is bent.

Beaton doesn’t even hide his cheating.

14 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

No VAR intervention.

When you see some of the handball penalties given around the country, and this isn’t, no wonder many think the game is bent.

The ball comes off his face there. You can even see his head recoil back after getting hit...

15 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

No VAR intervention.

Yeah that's what he meant by as long as we see consistency in them being given all the time for everyone. That was the same as the 2 given in our game, hands up by their faces.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Players have been doing this for years.

No VAR intervention.

That's almost identical to what Jason Holt was penalised for and given a yellow card

48 minutes ago, AW saint said:

We have not had much luck with VAR but after seeing the incidents from our game last night the calls made were right. 

Not with St Johnstone's penalty it wasn't. A clear handball in the lead up should have cancelled out Tanser's handball. 

And so it starts.

NOT HAPPY 

Celtic to seek SFA answers over Jota’s offside goal vs Motherwell as Hoops chiefs raise fears over faith in Var system

CELTIC are set to seek SFA clarification over Jota's controversial offside goal against Motherwell.

SunSport understands Parkhead chiefs have been left bemused at the VAR angle used for that decision at Fir Park on Wednesday night.

Motherwell chief executive Alan Burrows has confirmed on social media that cameras on BOTH 18-yard lines at Fir Park were operational.

But Celtic are now seeking answers as to why there was no image from the Motherwell half circulated via the broadcasting feed.

SunSport understands the VAR officials are 100 per cent certain Jota WAS offside - with the lines calbrated via the technology

Hoops chiefs believe faith in the VAR system could be undermined unless the reasons for all decisions are illustrated fully.

Celtic are expected to write to the SFA in the coming days looking for an explanation.

Chief executive Michael Nicholson previously contacted the governing body following Celtic's 4-3 win over Hearts last month.

The Hoops were baffled at the decision not to advise ref Nick Walsh to check a potential handball by Michael Smith

10 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Not with St Johnstone's penalty it wasn't. A clear handball in the lead up should have cancelled out Tanser's handball. 

I agree with this, it was right in front of us.

Gallagher's attempted back pass hit Carey's  arm . Carey then controls the ball and initiates the move that results in Tanser's hand ball in the area. Is that not then the start of the "active phase"? That was the rationale behind Saints goal vs the Arabs being scrubbed out by an incident 20 secs prior to the ball hitting the net.

My discontent with VAR is that ,as a paying customer at the game, I'm not told what's going on and it sucks much of the joy out of attending a match.

This is a system that has been introduced for the armchair followers ( who contribute hee haw to our game) by people who have never kicked a football in anger in their lives.

41 minutes ago, Buddy Love said:

I agree with this, it was right in front of us.

Gallagher's attempted back pass hit Carey's  arm . Carey then controls the ball and initiates the move that results in Tanser's hand ball in the area. Is that not then the start of the "active phase"? That was the rationale behind Saints goal vs the Arabs being scrubbed out by an incident 20 secs prior to the ball hitting the net.

My discontent with VAR is that ,as a paying customer at the game, I'm not told what's going on and it sucks much of the joy out of attending a match.

This is a system that has been introduced for the armchair followers ( who contribute hee haw to our game) by people who have never kicked a football in anger in their lives.

Can't go through life making up excuses for your not winning, get real.