VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just when it seemed like celtic had a likeable manager...
It seems the arse cheeks do this to people. I was a big fan of Gerrard until he became a torn faced whinge factory at rangers....Ange has done the exact same. It must be ingrained into them at their induction

10 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

• scores in the opponents’ goal:

• directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

• immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

Highlighted part is why it's not handball for me. His arm is up because he's jumping.

It's one of these where the full-speed version shows you the answer. He just jumps and the ball is fired off him. Not a chance it meets the criteria above for a foul. The booking is insane.

People giving it the 'A qualified referee has looked at it, so you're wrong' patter are going to have to explain to me how at least two Category 1 referees have looked at that decision and made a call that is contrary to the law as on the IFAB website.

Maybe some people are just shite at their jobs. Maybe VAR isn't a paradise of correct decisions.

I will agree with you that booking is laughable. For me to be booked it has to be intentional. Mind you, as we found out today, even if you bring a man down in the box to give away a penalty you don't always get booked.

Just think VAR takes away the instant enjoyment of watching football, we all accept dodgy decisions, things to talk about. Annoyingly playing on, and then possibly going back to make a decision really tedious. Must be hard to referee with just 2 angles (Inc linesman) with people watching from all angles on a TV set. Do VAR officials get questioned ?

20 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I will agree with you that booking is laughable. For me to be booked it has to be intentional. Mind you, as we found out today, even if you bring a man down in the box to give away a penalty you don't always get booked.

We found that out a couple of weeks ago when Jenz was already on a yellow and pulled down Devlin

I’m pretty scunnered with this in all honesty.

Since VAR came in Hibs have had 3 games, 1 win and 2 defeats, 5 goals scored, 6 conceded, the results are what they are and they’re not the problem, it’s the removal of the uninterrupted celebrations and anticipation when my team attack.

For the first time ever I’m now debating in my head whether I want to continue to watch my team every week and it’s nothing to do with the football standard because we’ve been a lot worse than this.

Every time we attack, instead of me thinking “oh we could score here” I find myself overanalysing in my head if there’s been a foul in the build up or whether someone has been offside.

Out of the 5 goals we’ve scored, I’ve only actually enjoyed one of them and that was because it was the first and I totally forgot VAR existed for a good 20 seconds after the ball hit the net, each of the others I was worrying about fouls and offsides (apart from one which was a penalty but who gets excited over penalties going in anyway unless they’re in the last minute?).

I genuinely find myself really sad about it all to be honest, my team have been a huge part of my life, a huge part of my relationship with friends and family and I’m at the point where this change in the game has ripped the excitement away from it all.

When Hibs have been shite, of course it’s not been fun but you still get those moments when you attack however rare they may have been where you get that little bit of excitement, in the past 3 games I’ve just not had that.

I’ve still got my season ticket which will do me until the summer and even after that then I suspect I’ll still go along quite alot as a social thing as it’s an excuse to see pals/family but I honestly feel like my days of spending a substantial portion of my time consuming content about the game and my team might be at an end,

At the moment I’ll spend hours every week reading stuff about football, listening to podcasts, watching things, searching for news and rumours but I honestly feel like “what’s the point?” 

Everything that you look at and think about relating to football all comes down to watching your team and the excitement of scoring goals to win games. If you don’t have that excitement anymore then what actually is the point in giving it the time of day?

I’ll obviously see how things go between now and the end of the season but I genuinely feel upset because I’m not sure if I can continue my love for football like I’ve had for all my life, it’s all I’ve ever known and f**k knows how else I’ll spend my time but this just has taken all enjoyment away from me.

I don’t know if I’m the only one feeling this way but it’s utterly shite.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I can understand the annoyance of fans feeling they can't celebrate a goal for their team but I do feel you have to factor in the bonus of being able to get it right up the opposition fans when one of their goals are ruled out.

The scenario at our penalty on Friday night was sensational. Aberdeen fans celebrate getting the penalty. Hibs fans then go tonto when it's saved for about 30 seconds, then the TV screen sign is made in the middle of the pitch while play is raging on so Aberdeen fans celebrate again for the retake, then again for the goal. Although I'm anti-VAR that was sublime. 

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The scenario at our penalty on Friday night was sensational. Aberdeen fans celebrate getting the penalty. Hibs fans then go tonto when it's saved for about 30 seconds, then the TV screen sign is made in the middle of the pitch while play is raging on so Aberdeen fans celebrate again for the retake, then again for the goal. Although I'm anti-VAR that was sublime. 

Well, yes but this is a thread about VAR, and - as you know - it shouldn't have been a penalty, so for all the "wonderful theatre" it failed.

On 06/11/2022 at 14:54, Cptn Hooch said:
On 06/11/2022 at 11:37, paranoid android said:

It seems the arse cheeks do this to people. I was a big fan of Gerrard until he became a torn faced whinge factory at rangers....Ange has done the exact same. It must be ingrained into them at their induction

Gerrard was a whining c**t from day one.

I remember post match at Pittodrie, he whinged about decisions going against The Rangers for years.

Irony off the scale… and like he’d have paid a blind bit of attention to The Rangers prior to coming up here anyway.

He was a classless c**t. 

8 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Well, yes but this is a thread about VAR, and - as you know - it shouldn't have been a penalty, so for all the "wonderful theatre" it failed.

Not quite sure that you’ve got that totally correct.

On 05/11/2022 at 11:40, VincentGuerin said:

He didn't impede him, though.

Duk caused the contact, intentionally, then exaggerated it. And in doing that, he kicked the ball out for a goal kick.

to impede -delay or prevent (someone or something) by obstructing them; hinder.

"the sap causes swelling which can impede breathing"

Marshall didn't impede Duk. Duk had knocked the ball out for a goal kick, so there was nothing in the game he was impeded from doing, and he basically ran into Marshall to make himself fall over, so how can Marshall be blamed for his fall? There's pretty much no reading of the rules that will allow you to say that that's a foul. Marshall had the right to be where he was, and Duk chose to initiate the contact.

But like i said, football fans are subjective as f**k, and you are bending over backwards to try and justify a decision when it's obvious that the player cheated, and it's obvious how he cheated. It's not even an unusual thing to do. It'll happen all over Europe today.
The point is the naivety of professionals looking at it and being taken in by the con.

I'd bet every penny I have that if the decision last night had been a Hibs player doing that, you'd be posting in this thread agreeing with me.

I couldn't agree with this summation more. The dive initiates the contact! I don't understand how people don't get this. 

On 06/11/2022 at 14:54, Cptn Hooch said:
On 06/11/2022 at 11:37, paranoid android said:

I think ange has a point, surprise surprise, firstly he was talking about the length of time it takes, the ball clearly hits bernabies arm, if by the letter of the law it’s a penalty then the var guys should tell the ref right away, not take 2 or 3 mins watching it then tell the ref to watch it. 

secondly every time the ball has hit an arm in our games it’s been a penalty except the smith incident in the hearts game, the one against Livingston was never a penalty imo, none of them should be as none were deliberate but that’s a separate debate, by why wasn’t the smith one looked at, it was as unintentional as the other 2 but struck his hand. Makes no sense to me.  

The most annoying thing out of it all for me was the booking for bernabie. Caused him to be hooked at ht cause he was on a booking.