VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Interesting views: never watched it last night, more interested in the bottom of the table, but on viewing the incident today, not a penalty for me. 

VAR is performing as I expected in Scotland.  

The things is, VAR is seen as the problem when in fact a ref, when given the chance of numerous replays, still cant see a dive with the diver clearly making a deliberate move for "contact" and he still gives a pen. That's one thing that doesn't change with refs up here.

7 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

The things is, VAR is seen as the problem when in fact a ref, when given the chance of numerous replays, still cant see a dive with the diver clearly making a deliberate move for "contact" and he still gives a pen. That's one thing that doesn't change with refs up here.

Same thing happened a couple of weeks back at Man City when Silva made deliberate contact to win a pen. 

34 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

Agree, but I've a feeling that presently they are not using numerous replays of different angles, but of the one angle that condemns or excuses an action.

Also, they are taking far too long to make a decision, but that mirrors what I've seen down south. For me, as an attending spectator, it's a pain in the arse: not looking forward to the match at Tannadice on Wednesday potentially lasting 100+ minutes, while sitting in the rain and cold. Although to be fair, I'm sitting under cover.

2 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

Okay, so why have we handed over more control to them by giving them VAR to f**k things up twice, then?

This is the problem with the ‘guns don’t kill people, people do’ rhetoric that people are now floating with VAR. I am opposed to VAR because it is not a magic solution, it is just giving the referees the chance to make a mistake twice over.

Football is subjective. Some people think Duk dived, others think it’s a stonewall penalty, other are in between the two. Are people not getting this yet? There is basically no such thing as a clear-cut decision in football. It is what makes the game great. It has now been terminally ruined because of pundits, managers, fans crying like little children because the bad referee didn’t give them what they wanted.

So now we have a situation where people are still unhappy with refereeing decisions, but we’ve also lost the unbridled joy of a goal going in and celebrating it.

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Interesting views: never watched it last night, more interested in the bottom of the table, but on viewing the incident today, not a penalty for me. 

VAR is performing as I expected in Scotland.  

Don't think it was either, the same thing Boyle does though so kinda ironic seeing it go against Hibs. Duk was going for it more than he was trying to get the ball, saw the keeper diving and lunged forward to get taken down for the pen. As much him going over the keeper as being taken down by him. Those type of decisions even with VAR is a 50/50 take on how it gets viewed though, some convinced the keeper makes contact to take him down, others it was all the player going for the contact to con the ref.

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I know what i meant. Everyone thinks they're objective and bias affects other people. 

I'm not sure I agree this bit - I dont think I am objective when watching my team (or Scotland), I would be surprised if many on this forum could seriously say they were entirely objective.

2 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Okay, so why have we handed over more control to them by giving them VAR to f**k things up twice, then?

This is the problem with the ‘guns don’t kill people, people do’ rhetoric that people are now floating with VAR. I am opposed to VAR because it is not a magic solution, it is just giving the referees the chance to make a mistake twice over.

Football is subjective. Some people think Duk dived, others think it’s a stonewall penalty, other are in between the two. Are people not getting this yet? There is basically no such thing as a clear-cut decision in football. It is what makes the game great. It has now been terminally ruined because of pundits, managers, fans crying like little children because the bad referee didn’t give them what they wanted.

So now we have a situation where people are still unhappy with refereeing decisions, but we’ve also lost the unbridled joy of a goal going in and celebrating it.

This.

There was a penalty last season in the North London Derby. Ref gave it, VAR agreed. One of those idiots said it was a close one and that VAR wouldn't have instructed the ref to look again if he hadn't.

There's going to be inconsistencies every week, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I'm not sure I agree this bit - I dont think I am objective when watching my team (or Scotland), I would be surprised if many on this forum could seriously say they were entirely objective.

I think I preferred last night's Leith Green, rather than this reasonable version...

VAR fanboys "Its the incompetent refs that are causing all the issues" also VAR fanboys "well the ref gave it so it must be right as they know better than anyone else" make your mind up.

Still can't quite believe the mental gymnastics some people are doing to justify making football soulless shite, can only imagine they've never attended a game in their life and are more interested in stats whilst watching it on tv.