VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I admittedly am very confused over the Tony Watt one.
When I saw it in the game I was astounded it wasn't a foul as I would have said Watt went in high and caught Goss with his studs.
When I saw the dodgy angle replay I thought it was a red.
When I saw the definitive angle I knew I was right.

Now the appeals panel are suggesting raking your studs down someones leg, starting 4/5's of the way up someones shin is only a yellow card.

Is it the mid 80s again?

I know. The after match pics of the stud marks running down Goss's leg were damning. Oh wait...

Meanwhile, the officials who made a rip-roaring arse of themselves and VAR, are given another chance to put things wrong(er) with Beaton the on-field referee at Dingwall on Saturday and Munro setting down in front of the screen in Ballieston as the main VAR man for Sunday's Tynecastle match.

And Mark Birighitti will probably be involved for Dundee United too.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

And Mark Birighitti will probably be involved for Dundee United too.

He wasn't the worst, by far. I get your point: however, if he got a chance to review his reactions, and if other players could be given various video views in order to alter their positions and decisions, then there would be different outcomes in all matches.

But players aren't afforded the luxury of changing their patterns and behaviours after the event, the refereeing fraternity (!) have an opportunity to rectify their mistakes. There's more chance of a player being dropped than a referee though. 

Hmmm. Didn't seem to care about the Hearts retake at the time, Craig.

The discussion about that was entirely from the perspective of the rules, I didn't say it was what I wanted to happen. However, there was a discussion of "why didn't they just play advantage" or similar, and I was pointing out that you can't do that when an attacking player commits an offence.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The discussion about that was entirely from the perspective of the rules, I didn't say it was what I wanted to happen. However, there was a discussion of "why didn't they just play advantage" or similar, and I was pointing out that you can't do that when an attacking player commits an offence.

Was there a penalty retaken for encroachment at Killie?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Even aside from the penalty award, it's utterly joyless to require retakes of saved penalties for encroachment. The sort of thing only dweebs and losers care about.

I, for one, took great joy from it tonight 

Crazy how long the decision took though 

Worth the wait 

VAR Dandies ✌🏻

2 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Once again VAR contributes to the correct scoreline at Pittodrie last night. Would obviously be nice to see the checking times speed up somewhat, but it's doing a good job so far.

You are absolutely right, VAR did it's job perfectly last night, and I absolutely loved the Hibs fan berating VAR checking their goal for offside claiming "it's obviously offside, this is a waste of time", only for the VAR to show he was onside after which the same poster then complained that VAR got it right.

Some people simply hate VAR and so intensely blinded by that they don't realise the problem here isn't the ability to check incidents, in real time, with multiple angles and slow mo. No, the problem is the utterly incompetent referees and officials who are unable to see what everyone else sees in those replays.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and it's becoming abundantly clear that the weakest link is overwhelmingly the inability of referees to interpret images correctly. The time taken is also hugely down to the officials.

What's more we always knew that many officials get key decisions wrong, we see it almost weekly in the Sportscene studio, all VAR has done is given the officials enough rope to hang themselves with, they are being found out, in real time, by fans watching on big screens. It really is a reckoning that is overdue for officials, and in many ways VAR should be congratulated for that.

Edited by Ric