VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Interesting to see that (apparently) the Swedish league has just had 9 of their 16 topflight clubs vote against the introduction of VAR. Not entirely sure of the detail, just wondering why there would be such a contrast in the number of clubs supporting it compared to us.

Always liked Sweden.

Don't worry, lads. All these things are just teething problems. It'll be fine.

As an aside, anyone else see the Dortmund - Eintrachtgame last weekend where the referee and also VAR missed a clear penalty for Eintracht because - as confirmed after the game - they didn't look at the right angles.

Germany is in its sixth season of using VAR.

Anyway, all just teething problems. I'm sure it'll get better soon.

Interesting to see that (apparently) the Swedish league has just had 9 of their 16 topflight clubs vote against the introduction of VAR. Not entirely sure of the detail, just wondering why there would be such a contrast in the number of clubs supporting it compared to us.
Only in Scotland [emoji1787]

Wait...

VAR is pish, but its here to stay.

What does annoy me is the suspicion that some refs will abdicate on field responsibility for decisions "because we have guys in the VAR suite". I have seen one or two already that are either god awful refereeing, or they have just decided to let the boys in the caravan look........

People keep saying that, but there have been a few on-field "big decisions" overturned by VAR checks too. James Brown's red card against us last weekend and Aberdeen's disallowed goal against Motherwell the week before spring to mind immediately.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

People keep saying that, but there have been a few on-field "big decisions" overturned by VAR checks too. James Brown's red card against us last weekend and Aberdeen's disallowed goal against Motherwell the week before spring to mind immediately.

Aye, I just saw a few (like the Hearts pen v Celtic) and thought "come on, why would than not just be a straight on field pen"?

At least with the Brown one you mention, the ref actually made a decision which is their job (even if his decision was ultimately wrong) instead of shiting it and waiting for the mason VAR ref in the suite to tell him.

4 hours ago, ropy said:

The ref awarded nothing

VAR effectively recommended a red card

An appeal ‘panel’ decided it was a yellow.

A case for any of those could be made.

Whats the point? 

One of the big defences of VAR that gets trotted out when most people agree they’ve made an absolute arse of a decision is that “the fans only think that because they don’t know the laws of the game”. 

So, in this instance, who is it that “doesn’t know the laws of the game”?

The ref who let it go then changed his mind?

The VAR officials who decided it was a red card?

The appeals panel who decided it wasn’t? 

Someone should get their arse kicked. 

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

One of the big defences of VAR that gets trotted out when most people agree they’ve made an absolute arse of a decision is that “the fans only think that because they don’t know the laws of the game”. 

So, in this instance, who is it that “doesn’t know the laws of the game”?

The ref who let it go then changed his mind?

The VAR officials who decided it was a red card?

The appeals panel who decided it wasn’t? 

Someone should get their arse kicked. 

They don't know what they're doing, they don't know what they're doing................

I admittedly am very confused over the Tony Watt one.
When I saw it in the game I was astounded it wasn't a foul as I would have said Watt went in high and caught Goss with his studs.
When I saw the dodgy angle replay I thought it was a red.
When I saw the definitive angle I knew I was right.

Now the appeals panel are suggesting raking your studs down someones leg, starting 4/5's of the way up someones shin is only a yellow card.

Is it the mid 80s again?

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

When I saw it in the game I was astounded it wasn't a foul as I would have said Watt went in high and caught Goss with his studs.

Now the appeals panel are suggesting raking your studs down someones leg, starting 4/5's of the way up someones shin is only a yellow card.

Is it the mid 80s again?

You are perhaps confused because the majority of angles, when studied with no time pressures, show that Watt didn't rake his studs down the legs of Goss. The film clip published by Motherwell suggested Watt had caught Goss, the other pieces of film utilised showed Watt was reckless in a challenge. 

You should be pleased with the overall affair: Motherwell played 50 minutes against 10 men following a VAR/refereeing mistake.                    

10 hours ago, Swello said:

This is a bit of a mind boggling thing - presumably it was overturned on the basis of some footage that wasn't available to the Referee or VAR at the time (as that is what Utd said they were going to present). It begs the question on whether they would use all available footage or just what was presented by the appealing club - because the Motherwell footage that @Div shared on the P&B twitter feed was the most damning angle that I've seen - but no-one is going to present that as (other than attempting to prove that Goss wasn't "cheating") it's nothing to do with Motherwell.

Probably the worst thing that could happen for VAR is to have a VAR-aided decision overturned on appeal within the first couple of weeks - credibility of the system undermined early on.

There was an alternative angle that Utd produced that showed the challenge from the George fox side, which wasn't available in real time for VAR. Can't find it again, but saw it somewhere and it's less damming that the others. Still think even with that, when a VAR decision is made, it should not be over turned after the game. 

The whole mantra is 'clear and obvious' and you cannot argue either the Watt decision or even the James Brown one is a 'clear and obvious' mistake.

I'd set a time limit on a decision being made. The red card in the Saints Killie game was a nonsense that it took so long. Even though it benefitted my team, if you cannot decide that it is a correct decision or not in 30 seconds, then it is not 'clear and obvious'. 

12 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Is it the mid 80s again?

Yes, you are a very confused individual.