VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not fine with anyone paying any money for it, I think it's shite and a scourge on Scottish football. However, given that Killie freely signed up to a deal where the costs come out of prize money proportionally, I don't have the tiniest grain of sympathy for the club (or any other club) in terms of how much it costs them.

There also wasn't "one offer on the table" - the original plan was for it to be split equally, and the clubs didn't fancy that. There was also always the very clear "offer" of every single club paying £0.

You genuinely think there was a chance it would get voted down?

Even if it was for 22 - 20 against in fairytaleland, the SFA would have organised reruns until they got their majority.

It is clear it was coming, the means in which it arrived was up for debate. VAR for my club represents 1.3% of turnover, in Glasgow it’s 0.2% other teams in the top division are helping fund and accelerate the OF’s gap to the determinant to everyone else. If you want fairness or parity then 0.3% ish would have been fair for the whole league.

The fact it arrived like Lee Griffiths at preseason training, flabby, ponderous and brimming with misjudgements is a prawn sandwich suit clanger.

13 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

You genuinely think there was a chance it would get voted down?

Even if it was for 22 - 20 against in fairytaleland, the SFA would have organised reruns until they got their majority.

It is clear it was coming, the means in which it arrived was up for debate. VAR for my club represents 1.3% of turnover, in Glasgow it’s 0.2% other teams in the top division are helping fund and accelerate the OF’s gap to the determinant to everyone else. If you want fairness or parity then 0.3% ish would have been fair for the whole league.

The SFA had no say in the matter, it was an SPFL vote, and it wasn't 22-20 against, it was 41-1 in favour. The clubs wanted this, nobody has since come out and said they voted for it because they thought it was going to happen anyway, they've more or less unanimously said it's what they want. The SPFL board mainly consists of members from these very clubs, voted in by these very clubs, so who do you think are these nefarious unseen hands who are controlling everything?

The costs come out of prize money, so I'm not really sure why turnover would have much to do with it. Do Motherwell (or Killie) request less prize money than other Premiership clubs because we have a smaller turnover than them?

Edited by craigkillie

VAR is working in our favour at the minute. My opinion yesterday both correct and without VAR the decisions would have gone against us.

Del wasn't pleased so every cloud has a silver lining.

All grounds should be made to have big screens.

When will we see the first instance of a referee sticking with his initial opinion after being sent to watch?

it seems they feel obligated/pressured to reverse once they go to watch it. That's not just our referees though.

I think I've witnessed 1 instance of the referee sticking to their decision from other Leagues VAR on tv. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The SFA had no say in the matter, it was an SPFL vote, and it wasn't 22-20 against, it was 41-1 in favour. The clubs wanted this, nobody has since come out and said they voted for it because they thought it was going to happen anyway, they've more or less unanimously said it's what they want. The SPFL board mainly consists of members from these very clubs, voted in by these very clubs, so who do you think are these nefarious unseen hands who are controlling everything?

Appreciate your efforts to tilt facts against fantasy.

It's a Sisyphean task.

8 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I was for VAR, but f**k me it is boring. One game I've attended when it's in use and it's utterly stinking. We've got no screens to even figure out what's happening either.

I wasn't wanting it as i didn't think it would make that much of a difference to offset the impact it would have on the fans at the game, with constant VAR reviews and goals being chopped off, and not being able to celebrate goals properly. However i didn't particularly feel it interrupted play much today, and knew as soon as Collum went to the monitor the pen was being given. Haven't seen us score yet to see whether it affects us celebrating, but didn't seem to stop Celtic fans jumping about when they scored.

Ironic though that Martindale was all for it, hoping we'd get things like the wrongful pen against us v Motherwell not been given, and so far we've had a red card and a pen against us that wasn't being given by the ref till VAR reviewed it and advised him to go over to the monitor for a look.

There have been VAR reds overturned on appeal in England, it will definitely happen at some point. The chance of success seems low for that one though, given that the bar for overturning it is, ironically, similarly high to the bar that should be there for a VAR red.