VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

In 'real time' I can absolutely see why the Watt incident was given as a red, but surely a big part of VAR is to check and, where necessary, correct such decisions?

I despise VAR.

11 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I could get if the ref had given Watt a red before it went to VAR.

To go to a VAR check and then, after having seen it slowed down multiple times, decide that it’s a red is fucking mental.

VAR needs to be punted into the sea and Beaton should face some form of reprimand for that call.

Only 2 weekends in and it’s been an utter farce so far.

Thing is, it didn't look anything like a red card in real time either because you can see that he's clearly going for the ball and misses it by a fraction of a second. In real time it's clear that there's no intent. Fuck Beaton though, thrawn little cunt, and fuck VAR.

31 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Thing is, it didn't look anything like a red card in real time either because you can see that he's clearly going for the ball and misses it by a fraction of a second. In real time it's clear that there's no intent. Fuck Beaton though, thrawn little cunt, and fuck VAR.

Disagree, the clip above in real time makes it look like a bad challenge from some angles.

Fans need to stop being so angry towards referees and expecting impossible standards from them. That's a big part of why we have VAR now. Too many fans think it's so easy to get every decision spot on during a game, despite masses of evidence to the contrary.

Edited by DA Baracus

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Disagree, the clip above in real time makes it look like a bad challenge from some angles.

I haven't seen any clips. I was at the game and it didn't look like a red card in real time at the game. 

On a more general note. I was conscious before the game that this would be first VAR game at Tannadice and made a point  before the game of looking to see how many cameras there were and where they were situated. As far as I could see there were four cameras in total. Three along the Jerry Kerr/ Fair Play stand up at the back and one at pitchside. All one the same side of the pitch. If that's all they were relying on then it's simply not enough to provide all the views necessary to make good, consistent decisions. None of those cameras had as good a view as I had, sat in the stand, or Beaton had, on the pitch about five yards away.

I'm not in favour of VAR in general but at the least the English Premier League have mountains of money to waste and a hundred camera angles to call on. We're just following on, trying to emulate the neighbours without having anything like the facilities available that they can call on. And it's shite down there too.

17 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I haven't seen any clips. I was at the game and it didn't look like a red card in real time at the game. 

On a more general note. I was conscious before the game that this would be first VAR game at Tannadice and made a point  before the game of looking to see how many cameras there were and where they were situated. As far as I could see there were four cameras in total. Three along the Jerry Kerr/ Fair Play stand up at the back and one at pitchside. All one the same side of the pitch. If that's all they were relying on then it's simply not enough to provide all the views necessary to make good, consistent decisions. None of those cameras had as good a view as I had, sat in the stand, or Beaton had, on the pitch about five yards away.

I'm not in favour of VAR in general but at the least the English Premier League have mountains of money to waste and a hundred camera angles to call on. We're just following on, trying to emulate the neighbours without having anything like the facilities available that they can call on. And it's shite down there too.

There's a clip on the previous page. Others have said that in real time they could see why the ref would have thought it a red card.

15 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Horrible, tiny little rat man. He'd be loving it having the opportunity to use the new toys.

Reactions like this are part of the reason why we have VAR.

12 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Just to confirm, we’ve taken away the joy of celebrating a goal in order to “stamp out the refereeing errors”, and yet half the people on here think that there have been refereeing errors today?

Yep. And never forget that neither you or I was asked about this by our respective clubs because they knew they wouldn’t like the answer. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Which aspect of the technology is doing this? We've had cameras at our games for several decades, so how has VAR changed your perception (or anyone else's) of these decisions?

You’re surely at it 

What options did Beaton have at the VAR decision.  Could he have brought the game back for a free kick, could he have awarded a yellow card?  Was it simply a red or nothing?

Given that the challenge went unpunished on the park then was adjudicated over VAR can it be judged for a third time by way of an appeal?

The delays for VAR at Ibrox were ridiculous. Morelos scored and was eventually found to be offside but it must’ve taken at least 3 minutes to check.

Similarly for our penalty, it took a fair while before the ref was called over. Then after all of that, there was only 4 minutes added on.

21 minutes ago, AJF said:

The delays for VAR at Ibrox were ridiculous. Morelos scored and was eventually found to be offside but it must’ve taken at least 3 minutes to check.

Similarly for our penalty, it took a fair while before the ref was called over. Then after all of that, there was only 4 minutes added on.

Same at McDiarmid today. 5 mins plus for the overturned red card. 

It's small things like the referee stood for over a minute holding his ear listening to the VAR official. The whole time he stood at the other side of the pitch. Before eventually making his way to watch it. 

To save time could they not start moving nearer the monitor if it's suggested the VAR official might want you to watch it. Instead of standing 50 yards away the whole time since he's standing doing nothing anyway. Can't understand why its constantly taking them 2 mins+ every time to even decide whether or not the referee should watch it.

He then watched it for another 2 mins probably before overturning. 

2 weeks in for Motherwell and kick in the baws last week and favourable this weekend. Not that Watts sending off in reality did us any favours in terms of advantage.

Reading other teams contributions on here so far is seems just as ropy. I've not watched Sportscene for a few weeks.

One thing is certain 12 eyeballs (4 of which have slo-mo, multiple angles and perspective lines) are as shit as 8 traditional eyeballs. I'd wager there's been the same number of pundit contentious discussions per game as there was on opening day.

They really need to up the slickness and would be opportune if they nailed the actual remit of VAR too, that would be quite nice. Clubs are contributing an unfair amount based on turnover, an extra burden in when for many outside the city clubs, where every penny is a prisoner.

If was any other service such as undersoil heating or a scoreboard was malfunctioning as regularly, every team would have a legitimate issue with the supplier.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Fans need to stop being so angry towards referees and expecting impossible standards from them. That's a big part of why we have VAR now. Too many fans think it's so easy to get every decision spot on during a game, despite masses of evidence to the contrary.

Yeah, it's the fans fault.

Terrible take.

9 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yeah, it's the fans fault.

Terrible take.

Not really. A significant section of fans are responsible for the introduction of VAR. 

Fans aren't solely to blame but they need to accept a lot of responsibility (the ones in favour of VAR I mean).

I'm was pretty sure the fact that it is now commonplace in UEFA and FIFA competitions was the primary driver. Domestic adoption will have ensured the SFA's referees are not frozen out of being involved.

The views of fans are considered .... aye? I think it's almost cute you think that. So innocent.

The zero fucks given by those making many decisions in the game are evidenced daily. May I cast your mind back only a 10 days ago to Motherwell vs Celtic, KO at 18:15 on a Wednesday night to allow both OF to be broadcast on the same evening (all because another broadcaster invoked its right to switch a game to a Sunday fixture). Premier paid for the League Cup rights and 100% were getting both their live OF games that midweek.

We are also about to engage in a World Cup in Qatar, mired in controversy and brown envelopes. 99.9% of the football fans on the planet would rather was played elsewhere and in the summer.

I'm in favour of VAR if done correctly but the way it has been handled, the continuing inconsistencies and cost all make its implementation a complete shitshow. It's almost like no lessons have been learned from England. The SFA must have sent a number of delegations down for a jolly ..... and we get this?

Wild stuff.