VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

VAR is fine in a number of settings - WC/qualifiers, Euros, CL, UEFA competitions, big leagues etc. If smaller leagues want it then they should canvas fans as well as clubs. Basically, in my view VAR and what if offers is completely at odds and inconsistent with the product on offer in Scotland. 

Here, I suggest it should be considered a pilot till the end of the season , leading to a pause for reflection/assessment inc that of fans ie season ticket holders canvased for their views. 

Unfortunately won't be the case but that to me would be the inclusive and most effective way forward in determining whether VAR should remain. 

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

VAR is a referee making decisions.

* sigh *

The technology that is used for VAR is absolutely showing up just how poor some of our referees are at making (or not making) decisions.

47 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Watt is a p***k and utd are shite but that's never a red 

Aye. Benefitted us today, but the fact this was missed then checked and turned into a red is bonkers. 

4 minutes ago, CoF said:

Aye. Benefitted us today, but the fact this was missed then checked and turned into a red is bonkers. 

It's incredible, you see he clearly pulls his foot back. If he wanted to lunge in, he was in a great position to, but didn't.

I really hope this gets highlighted, and we could find out exactly what offence he was carded for. If there is a gap between the knowledge of the punter and the rules of the game (and let's be honest there normally is) then it would surely make sense for the FA to provide the justification.

It looks to me like they've fucked up, which makes me think there must be a rule I don't know about that would allow such an obvious non-red to become a red.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's incredible, you see he clearly pulls his foot back. If he wanted to lunge in, he was in a great position to, but didn't.

I really hope this gets highlighted, and we could find out exactly what offence he was carded for. If there is a gap between the knowledge of the punter and the rules of the game (and let's be honest there normally is) then it would surely make sense for the FA to provide the justification.

It looks to me like they've fucked up, which makes me think there must be a rule I don't know about that would allow such an obvious non-red to become a red.

From the angle behind the goal at full speed it looks bad. I wonder if it’s the high, straight leg and the fact Goss has to well and truly pull out is what’s done it. 

Just now, CoF said:

From the angle behind the goal at full speed it looks bad. I wonder if it’s the high, straight leg and the fact Goss has to well and truly pull out is what’s done it.

As I say, I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it.

I've always had sympathy for officials having to make spit second decisions, but several people spent time looking that over and I can't see how that ends up a red.

* sigh *
The technology that is used for VAR is absolutely showing up just how poor some of our referees are at making (or not making) decisions.

Which aspect of the technology is doing this? We've had cameras at our games for several decades, so how has VAR changed your perception (or anyone else's) of these decisions?

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Which aspect of the technology is doing this? We've had cameras at our games for several decades, so how has VAR changed your perception (or anyone else's) of these decisions?

It seems you are far more keen to play semantics with me than call out what looks like clear referee failure. If your knowledge is that it's not, and that those decisions are correct, now would be the time to point it out, would it not?

As for an answer, if you genuinely can't figure out the difference, after all the discussion that's gone on, then I doubt anything I say will bring you enlightenment.

34 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

VAR taking 15 minutes to award rangers a goal against us and I find myself just willing them to award the fucking goal. So, so shite. 

I know we've differed on the use of it, but on this I really do agree. You can accept some delay, but the time taken needs to be reduced considerably.

28 minutes ago, Ric said:
It seems you are far more keen to play semantics with me than call out what looks like clear referee failure. If your knowledge is that it's not, and that those decisions are correct, now would be the time to point it out, would it not?
As for an answer, if you genuinely can't figure out the difference, after all the discussion that's gone on, then I doubt anything I say will bring you enlightenment.

My point is not about the correctness of the decision, it's about your ongoing misunderstanding of what VAR actually is. Pre-VAR, there were still wrong decisions, there were still cameras, and those decisions were therefore still shown to be wrong. As far as I can see, the only difference is that some of these are now being rectified mid-game (and some correct ones being made incorrect) by those very same referees. It's not the technology making the decisions.

Edited by craigkillie

I could get if the ref had given Watt a red before it went to VAR.

To go to a VAR check and then, after having seen it slowed down multiple times, decide that it’s a red is fucking mental.

VAR needs to be punted into the sea and Beaton should face some form of reprimand for that call.

Only 2 weekends in and it’s been an utter farce so far.