VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I agree 100%. All of the experienced Grade One Refs are going to be tied up by VAR week in, week out.

However, to escape that inequity, maybe Morton should try a bit harder to bridge the 34 year gap since they were last in the top division.

Morton are a fan-owned, debt-free community club. So if by 'try a bit harder' you mean 'outcompete Dundee et. al. in unsustainable financial chicanery' then no, that's not happening. 

That attempt at deflection doesn't diminish our right to a standard of officials that befits the level, in the same way that Stranraer and Forfar should not have Junior-grade wallopers imposed on them. 

Just now, virginton said:

Morton are a fan-owned, debt-free community club. So if by 'try a bit harder' you mean 'outcompete Dundee et. al. in unsustainable financial chicanery' then no, that's not happening. 

That attempt at deflection doesn't diminish our right to a standard of officials that befits the level, in the same way that Stranraer and Forfar should not have Junior-grade wallopers imposed on them. 

My "attempt at deflection" was no more than petty point scoring...soreeee.

All lower league clubs, not just Stranraer and Forfar, should have competent officials at their games.

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The player who injured him and/or those who make the rules regarding when a linesman should raise their flag.

You're certainly not suggesting that it would be the fault of the linesman for doing their job as directed are you?

I am not saying it would be the linesman fault. I needs looked at at the top.

People saying the decisions need to be quicker and using Hearts' stick-on penalty as an example need to understand what actually happens.

When they checked the challenge for Hearts' penalty, they also need to check that nobody is offside, there wasn't a handball, etc etc etc.

It's not just as quick as saying 'was that tackle a foul?'. That incident could have ended up with VAR spotting, say, a handball by Devlin in the build-up and it being a free-kick to Celtic.

It will never be fast. People talking about thirty-second limits or saying it will speed up in time are not living in the real world. That length of time to make the decision is necessary if you are going to use VAR. That's just how it works. It's why goal checks are not instant as well. They need to check lots of things.

Edited by VincentGuerin

There is little point in screaming about this, our clubs and the SFA decided it was happening.

We will all get some decisions that help us, and some that go against us - thats life.

I have to say that (although it didnt go for us on Friday) at least we know that the very tight offside at the end was genuine, and we dont have a week of fucking moaning about it like the one we had chalked off v Dundee Utd the week before. 

I am listening to R5 at the moment and the narrative that is emerging is that VAR worked fine on friday (it did) and then didnt work properly on Saturday................quelle surprise, given who was playing and every decision didnt go for Celtic in the Sky match.

I didnt see the whole match, but Hearts deffo got a pen that wouldnt have been given previously.............which has to be seen as progress given the advantages that pair already have?

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There absolutely does not need to be a 3 minute check for a clear cut incident like that, there need to be checks, but most of them are very brief. How often do you actually see 3 minute checks in VAR games in Europe?

It depends what's happened in the immediate phase of play.

I can't recall the exact build-up to the incident yesterday, but if it took that long, then I can only imagine there was something about that phase of play that they felt they had to check. Possible foul or handball by a Hearts player.

They need to check for that as well as looking at the tackle. That's why some take longer than others.

I've seen plenty in other leagues that have taken ages. It happens.

7 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I have to say that (although it didnt go for us on Friday) at least we know that the very tight offside at the end was genuine, and we dont have a week of fucking moaning about it like the one we had chalked off v Dundee Utd the week before. 

I'll have my week of moaning, thank you very fucking much.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

People saying the decisions need to be quicker and using Hearts' stick-on penalty as an example need to understand what actually happens.

When they checked the challenge for Hearts' penalty, they also need to check that nobody is offside, there wasn't a handball, etc etc etc.

It's not just as quick as saying 'was that tackle a foul?'. That incident could have ended up with VAR spotting, say, a handball by Devlin in the build-up and it being a free-kick to Celtic.

It will never be fast. People talking about thirty-second limits or saying it will speed up in time are not living in the real world. That length of time to make the decision is necessary if you are going to use VAR. That's just how it works. It's why goal checks are not instant as well. They need to check lots of things.

They don't need to. They choose to. 

I watched the Dons game live yesterday, and have just watched Sportscene highlights of the Old Firm and Rangers* games. The one thing you can say from that evidence pool, is that VAR contributed in all 3 of those games to getting the correct scoreline at full time.

There are other criticisms of course, but getting the correct score at the end of the match is absolutely the main priority of VAR for me. Especially important, that when administered correctly and fairly, it will show clearly how much of an advantage the Old Firm and Rangers* have always had.