VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I know we won’t see this here, but this is the new technology they used tonight in the CL

Bayern Leverkusen player rules offside

AD2D38B9-8EFE-47A2-B04B-1215E605D006.jpeg

5A25F235-A367-44E4-AB32-5676C3D95175.png

I'm really glad that clear and obvious error was corrected, we'd have looked like right idiots if that had been allowed to stand!

Spoiler

I would never tire of hospitalising the sort of people who think this is a good thing for football.

Remember as well that unless a game is on TV you'll be waiting until Sportscene to see such nonsense. Screens at grounds don't show this; they just announce that there's a VAR check and what it is for (e.g. offside, serious foul play etc). Also not all Premiership grounds have screens anyway, so you won't know what the VAR check is for much of the time.

Even if your game is on TV, you'll need to whip your phone out and get the replay via whatever Sky app shows the games.

9 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I know we won’t see this here, but this is the new technology they used tonight in the CL

Bayern Leverkusen player rules offside

AD2D38B9-8EFE-47A2-B04B-1215E605D006.jpeg

5A25F235-A367-44E4-AB32-5676C3D95175.png

This stuff is the biggest bit of seethe inducing mission creep ever - VAR started so that the big, travesty level decisions could be sorted (which was at least an arguable use case) - now we've got circa 2002 Pro Evo graphics showing that someone's toenail is "offside".  

I will never not be raging that Scottish football just blindly adopted this shite as a sop to TV companies and, bizarrely, Referees.

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Remember as well that unless a game is on TV you'll be waiting until Sportscene to see such nonsense. Screens at grounds don't show this; they just announce that there's a VAR check and what it is for (e.g. offside, serious foul play etc). Also not all Premiership grounds have screens anyway, so you won't know what the VAR check is for much of the time.

Even if your game is on TV, you'll need to whip your phone out and get the replay via whatever Sky app shows the games.

At the stadiums without screens, the VAR check and the reason should be announced over the PA.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

How many stadiums have a suitably clear PA for that?

No idea. I know St. Mirren, the OF, Hibs and Hearts have screens. I also know the PA at SMP was overhauled during the covid season and is perfectly clear.

The only other Premiership stadium I've been to since fans were allowed to re-attend is Livingston which also sounded clear.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Can't see any issues whatsoever in showing the viewer cartoons rather than the real picture.

The alternative is lines draw across the pitch where incessant whining on Twitter every week is that the pixels are too wide and the lines are drawn in the wrong locations.

The benefit of the virtual image is that those moans disappear - and unsurprisingly replaced with dissent likes yours.

Law 11 wasn't written for technology like this.  You cannot square that circle without fundamentally changing something key to the game.

As soon as the picture being shown is not "real" and is being represented by a cartoon, you are taking the viewer another step further away from seeing what actually happened. This isn't like tennis or cricket where it's just the trajectory of a ball, it's a representation of a situation with lots of moving parts, and I don't like the notion of not being given an image of the reality, anything else is far too open to manipulation.

44 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

As soon as the picture being shown is not "real" and is being represented by a cartoon, you are taking the viewer another step further away from seeing what actually happened. This isn't like tennis or cricket where it's just the trajectory of a ball, it's a representation of a situation with lots of moving parts, and I don't like the notion of not being given an image of the reality, anything else is far too open to manipulation.

Manipulation?  That's a tad foil helmetty is it not?

I'd tend to agree, but then I see every weekend people complaining about how two lines aren't in parallel because they don't understand how angles work when viewed from a fixed point.  Whilst in a perfect world, we would accept the TV pictures with pixel-perfect lines, football fans, players, coaches, pundits refuse to accept it - so this is where we are.  For now.