VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

VAR is merely a reflection of our neurotic times.

An idea spawned from the modern world of the Administrative State of mass surveillance and top-down nannying by faceless busybodies. Cabals of do-gooders ruining everything in the name of rules, correctness, fairness, and the big one Safety. Spirit, joy, endeavor and the masses be damned.

We can tho.  There is other sports who apply either a maximum viewing time or a maximum number of times a decision can be viewed on video. 

Scottish football doesn't have the power to unilaterally make up our own version of VAR. We either use it as dictated by IFAB - ie with no time limit or maximum number of replays - or not at all (the sensible option).

VAR may get more decisions correct but I have yet to see a match where having VAR has made the game better than it would otherwise. 

Watching a game in the stadium with VAR is awful. 

I went to a Chinese premier league game  with VAR . The striker ran onto a through ball and there was a collision between him and the defender near the 18 years line and he went over. 

As usual the home crowd were on their feet with everyone screaming at the ref for a pen and looking to him in anticipation as to what decision he would make. 

With no VAR , he either gives it instantly to delirious celebration not too dissimilar to those for a goal, or waves it away to the sound of rage and anger. 

Instead, he makes the VAR sign, runs of the pitch and  spends the next 5 mins looking at a tv screen. The crowds intensity drops, people start getting bored and start looking at their phones or chatting with their mates. By the time the decision is made, nobody is really that arsed if it is a pen or not, they just want the game to continue. 

Awful. 

Losing a goal that shouldn't have counted/scoring one that was legitimate only for the officials to f**k it up and come to the wrong decision is infuriating.

The same scenario happening with VAR looking at the situation and STILL coming to the wrong conclusion is complete heads gone stuff. And sadly this happens all too often.

That Scottish clubs voted this in after watching the Euros and the EPL, shows how fucking thick they are. Get it so far to f**k.

19 hours ago, parsforlife said:

We can tho.  There is other sports who apply either a maximum viewing time or a maximum number of times a decision can be viewed on video. 

OK you theoretically could. But this comes back to my point about hypotheticals.

Maximum viewing times or maximum number of views is not how VAR is implemented in any major league in the world. Its not on the table for being introduced in any major league in the world. Its not how VAR is going to be implemented in Scotland when VAR is introduced here.

Therefore these things are irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not it will be a good thing when we implement it in Scotland. Because the version of VAR which we will all experience is one with no limit on viewing times or number of views.

Edited by MrWorldwideJr

22 hours ago, Leith Green said:

And another beauty a few moments ago in Brighton v Leicester.

VAR is like a weeping wart on the ballsack of crap refereeing decisions

I don't get why folk are greeting about that one more than any other. He was offside and went for the ball. Should have been flagged but wasn't. 

Are folk expecting the refs to go "offside, but what a fucking goal so yous can have it"? 

Even if it were theoretically possible, why would any fan actually want completely accurate refereeing decisions? One of this sport's great joys is getting to lord it over the opposition and savour their fury when your team's clearly illegal goal is allowed to stand. Even more so if it's a late winner or equaliser. It's not like it happens every week - the infrequency of such moments is what makes them so special. Being on the receiving end from time to time is a price well worth paying to revel in those delicious moments of schadenfreude in my opinion.

Edited by Meathead

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It will never get pulled, not in England, not here and not anywhere else. Once it's in you're not ever getting it out.

Very much this.

We've got this because players, coaches, and fans have been cry-babies about decisions for decades, and football will never go back to how it was. Long stoppages and refereeing pedantry are here to stay, as is that dreadful feeling of a goal being celebrated while everyone knows it might be ruled out for some trivial reason (that you may actually disagree with).

I don't mean this in a drama-queen sense or a look-at-me thing, but I'm seriously questioning my ongoing football watching once we've got this in the Premiership. I pay to go to football in time and money and I think there's a decent chance I'll be choosing to watch a different level of football once this is in.

It fundamentally changes what you're watching, and it's not what I want. Decent chance the Hearts ST gets binned next season and one of my lower league darlings gets me as a regular.

VAR up here will be a complete waste of time...celtic/rangers will still get the benefit of 50/50 calls 

they'll continue to get penalties while the same "foul" in their box is ignored.

they'll still get the benefit of marginally offside decisions while again at the other end its offside.