VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Remember, what you'll actually get at most games is nothing. You won't know what it being checked and why. You won't know what a goal has been disallowed other than the ref making the VAR motion with his hands.

The best you'll get is a notice on a screen informing you that a VAR check is going on. Most clubs who have screens only have small ones. Will clubs be putting in larger ones? Probably not. Do the screens note what the VAR check is for (e.g. offside, handball, serious foul play etc)?

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Remember, what you'll actually get at most games is nothing. You won't know what it being checked and why. You won't know what a goal has been disallowed other than the ref making the VAR motion with his hands.

The best you'll get is a notice on a screen informing you that a VAR check is going on. Most clubs who have screens only have small ones. Will clubs be putting in larger ones? Probably not. Do the screens note what the VAR check is for (e.g. offside, handball, serious foul play etc)?

Ian maxwell basically admitted this. 

He said they were looking into screens but “fans know what’s going on because they’ll see play hasn’t restarted, they’re used to it now” 

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The only thing we'll get is the stadium announcer advising us. Although that'll probably only come from the refs visual queue that we'll all see for ourselves anyway. 

• 5 weeks later...

Always funny to laugh at Rangers, but that's what happens when you have VAR.

I'm sure referees will explain how it was the correct decision to give the penalty, but no right-minded fitba fan would expect a penalty to be given when the ball rebounds off a player a yard away.

What you expect: VAR coming in to ensure the right decision is always made.

What you get: A last minute defeat when a penalty is awarded against your player for handball when looking in the opposite direction.

Let me put it this way.

Would Livi get that handball last night at Parkhead/Ibrox?

Would the home team have got it?

I think we all know.

Disaster waiting to happen. Also hearing the cameras used at non telly games are basically Go-Pro cameras.

29 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Always funny to laugh at Rangers, but that's what happens when you have VAR.

I'm sure referees will explain how it was the correct decision to give the penalty, but no right-minded fitba fan would expect a penalty to be given when the ball rebounds off a player a yard away.

What you expect: VAR coming in to ensure the right decision is always made.

What you get: A last minute defeat when a penalty is awarded against your player for handball when looking in the opposite direction.

What seems to be the issue with these referee's if if they go watch something on the monitor. Its token gesture. They're giving the decision no matter. Its like they feel pressured to do so because the other ref watching on var has decided they think its a penalty. 

I think I've watched 1 game ever where the referee has gone to the monitor and disagreed.  VAR seems to be just re-refreeing the game rather than assisting the onfield ref to do his job. 

I honestly believe it'll be a complete disaster in Scotland with being continually told "its going to have issues, its just bedding in" etc etc. Fans wont have a clue whats going on, the players won't have a clue because one week a decision will be given by VAR, the next it wont be. We know for sure the referee's wont have a clue - as they already currently dont!

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

What seems to be the issue with these referee's if if they go watch something on the monitor. Its token gesture. They're giving the decision no matter. Its like they feel pressured to do so because the other ref watching on var has decided they think its a penalty. 

I think I've watched 1 game ever where the referee has gone to the monitor and disagreed.  VAR seems to be just re-refreeing the game rather than assisting the onfield ref to do his job. 

I honestly believe it'll be a complete disaster in Scotland with being continually told "its going to have issues, its just bedding in" etc etc. Fans wont have a clue whats going on, the players won't have a clue because one week a decision will be given by VAR, the next it wont be. We know for sure the referee's wont have a clue - as they already currently dont!

It’s human nature innit?!

If you’re sent to take a second look, you’re basically getting told you’ve got it wrong by the guy with all the cameras at his disposal.

Takes balls to say no at that point.

Last night the ref took ages looking at it when it was immediately clear for all to see - almost as if he wasn’t convinced himself.

And to top it all off he booked Goldson for having the audacity to be hit by the ball!

When there’s a corner at the SMiSA, our screen shows an advert for Div’s ‘Big Front Door’. I’m fervently hoping that Andrex or Pampers sponsor a screen advert when Collum is running a VAR check at the DinkyDome.

22 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

When there’s a corner at the SMiSA, our screen shows an advert for Div’s ‘Big Front Door’. I’m fervently hoping that Andrex or Pampers sponsor a screen advert when Collum is running a VAR check at the DinkyDome.

They should play the Jaws theme tune at the same time. That would add to the suspense.

• 3 weeks later...

It's going to be utterly, UTTERLY disastrous isn't it?

I mean, if the self proclaimed greatest league in the world, with effectively infinite resources, has made such a laughing stock of itself over the last few years, can you imagine the SFA running ours, completely petrified of a certain two clubs/companies? 😄

Just now, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It's going to be utterly, UTTERLY disastrous isn't it?

I mean, if the self proclaimed greatest league in the world, with effectively infinite resources, has made such a laughing stock of itself over the last few years, can you imagine the SFA running ours, completely petrified of a certain two clubs/companies? 😄

That's half true.