VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, ham1sh68 said:

A timely reminder on Saturday at Pittodrie of why we need VAR in Scotland.

I heartily agree that is not to determine, by means of lines scribbled on the screen, whether a player's kneecap is a millimetre offside or if someone's toe has brushed an opponents slipper, causing them to crash to the ground in agony.

VAR is neccesary to prevent  incompetent clown officials from making howlers  on a weekly basis which affect the outcome of (vital?) matches.

Until our refs and assistants become semi capable of doing their jobs, VAR sadly will be an inevitable adjunct to the top flight matches.

There is a rule about not blocking the keeper, I don’t know the detail, so perhaps booking the Aberdeen player could be justified, therefore the play has stopped and a free kick will be awarded.  But nowhere in the rules does it allow a keeper to punch a player in the face.  Red card.

36 minutes ago, thisal said:

VAR done quickly is sound. Be we have a few refs who want to be centre of attention and will love the chance to have the cameras on them for as long as they can. 

It can't be "done quickly" if you're analysing a lot of incidents which need multiple angles etc. Almost everyone who has anything positive to say about VAR says it about some fictional version of it that doesn't exist and never will.

6 hours ago, ham1sh68 said:

I heartily agree that is not to determine, by means of lines scribbled on the screen, whether a player's kneecap is a millimetre offside or if someone's toe has brushed an opponents slipper, causing them to crash to the ground in agony.

VAR is neccesary to prevent  incompetent clown officials from making howlers  on a weekly basis which affect the outcome of (vital?) matches.

Until our refs and assistants become semi capable of doing their jobs, VAR sadly will be an inevitable adjunct to the top flight matches.

The Aberdeen player ran into the keeper which is obstruction, then knocked the ball out his hands.

6 hours ago, ropy said:

There is a rule about not blocking the keeper, I don’t know the detail, so perhaps booking the Aberdeen player could be justified, therefore the play has stopped and a free kick will be awarded.  But nowhere in the rules does it allow a keeper to punch a player in the face.  Red card.

Yep, that's what it looked like to me. Might be tinted specs but i think Max was being obstructed, then he went to push the ball in Besuijen's face to make him flinch and back away, lost control and slapped/punched Besuijen in the face. Stupid thing to do in any case and was lucky to not get a red card, but Besuijen's yellow was justified.

51 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

A 7 minute delay from the penalty being awarded to it being overturned seems like a bit more than a 'little niggle which will be ironed out' tbh.

Quite.

I understand a penalty can be the deciding factor in a match, so deserves attention, but have we thrown out the need for mistakes to be "clear and obvious" now?

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Quite.

I understand a penalty can be the deciding factor in a match, so deserves attention, but have we thrown out the need for mistakes to be "clear and obvious" now?

My thought as well. If you need 7 minutes to check it (even 3 minutes as it suggests the ref was only at the monitor for "half of that") then it doesn't sound like a clear and obvious error.

Going to be some fun December nights when we're checking every Celtic/Rangers run into the box, god forbid anyone scores against them.

19 hours ago, LiviLion said:

My thought as well. If you need 7 minutes to check it (even 3 minutes as it suggests the ref was only at the monitor for "half of that") then it doesn't sound like a clear and obvious error.

This annoys me with VAR. If the VAR is taking a while to check it, why not send the ref over to the monitor and they can discuss it whilst they're both looking at it? 3 and a half minutes is still excessive of course, but it would've been 3 and a half minutes less in this instance.

On 25/04/2022 at 10:30, ham1sh68 said:

Except you can't avoid this. Once you have VAR, you have VAR. And no matter where you start, controversial decisions will drive the news agenda and the list of things VAR is used to check will only ever get bigger, not smaller. Eventually there'll be a big decision involving a goal from a wrongly-given throw-in and throw-ins will become VAR-ed, or a quickly taken goal kick that should have been a corner in a big World Cup match, and that will start being VAR-ed.

People who keep saying 'only use it for the big stuff or the obvious stuff' simply don't understand human nature or the news cycle.

And as to your next point, if you've been following VAR in other countries, you'll see it absolutely does not prevent incompetence. You get absolutely baffling VAR decisions all the time. If you think it'll remove controversy, you'll be sorely disappointed.

On 25/04/2022 at 18:04, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yep, that's what it looked like to me. Might be tinted specs but i think Max was being obstructed, then he went to push the ball in Besuijen's face to make him flinch and back away, lost control and slapped/punched Besuijen in the face. Stupid thing to do in any case and was lucky to not get a red card, but Besuijen's yellow was justified.

There was 2 red cards for Livi and a red for Aberdeen that should have been given (McCrorie should have been off earlier). We're getting VAR due to refereeing performance such as the one we both witnessed on Saturday.

Besuijen was being smart. Definitely obstructing the keeper but you normally get away with one of those.

Anyone see the Melbourne - Wellington game yesterday?

An 8-minute VAR shambles from a goal that looked absolutely fine, leading to an investigation of an obscure foul, which then leads to the team who scored a goal being given a penalty, which they score.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/a-league/128451908/wellington-phoenix-lose-31-to-melbourne-victory-in-chaotic-aleague-men-clash

Our game definitely really needs this...

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

An 8-minute VAR shambles from a goal that looked absolutely fine, leading to an investigation of an obscure foul, which then leads to the team who scored a goal being given a penalty, which they score.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/a-league/128451908/wellington-phoenix-lose-31-to-melbourne-victory-in-chaotic-aleague-men-clash

Haven't seen it but this is the Omnishambles we are going to end up with. I know this is a small point but if we are going back a minute to disallow a goal, is that minute being added on as additional time, as well as the time taken to complete the VAR check?? As if there is a foul in the lead up to a goal that ends up being disallowed, then essentially play stops with that foul and the subsequent 30 secs/ minute of play does not exist. Can just see some of these massively long var checks happening and the 4th official coming up with a board saying 2 minutes of added time. 

13 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

That sounds peak Scottish football tbf

• 2 weeks later...