VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

VAR fucking up yet again in the London derby. Just laughable why anyone would think this is a positive for football.
Ref gave a penalty incorrectly and VAR backed him up.

Do we just stick with the existing shambles then? VAR up here would be fine if it was officials from out with Glasgow that were policing it. We can’t continue with the current debacle, much that Celtic and Rangers fans would love that to be the case.

I think I have said this about 7 times across a few threads, the amount of petty wee skiffs that result in a Celtic/Rangers player throwing themselves to the ground will increase 10 fold.

Slightly off topic but a pundit on MOTD:
"If there's contact at all the goal will have to be chalked off...oooh not enough contact for me, goal should stand"

Morton have confirmed they were the club to vote against in the Greenock Telegraph today.

Edit: Beaten to it by SALC. Will pick up the paper today to get the full quote.

Also, Warnock putting himself forward for an unofficial advisory role? We are massive.

Edited by Dunning1874

According to today's Herald, the DFB Cup semi-final saw RB Leipzig through but "had to rely on a dubious VAR penalty after they went a goal behind". 

When VAR decisions are as controversial as on-field on-the-moment decisions what is the point? It is no more than an aid to referees and assistant referees by having more referees watching TV to advise the on-field referee or to ask him/her to look at the same film they have just looked at. It's not a technological panacea, It's a solution looking desperately for a matching problem and being manged by the same people who are the root cause of most complaints about current decision making. 

I can appreciate there are some decentish plus arguments, but for me they're way outbalanced by the negative impact on the real live game. Och, looks like we're going to have to live with it (and pay for it) anyway. Can't wait to revisit this thread once it's up and running. Or not.

17 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

According to today's Herald, the DFB Cup semi-final saw RB Leipzig through but "had to rely on a dubious VAR penalty after they went a goal behind". 

When VAR decisions are as controversial as on-field on-the-moment decisions what is the point? It is no more than an aid to referees and assistant referees by having more referees watching TV to advise the on-field referee or to ask him/her to look at the same film they have just looked at. It's not a technological panacea, It's a solution looking desperately for a matching problem and being manged by the same people who are the root cause of most complaints about current decision making. 

This is the internet, we don't need to rely on a newspaper when we can watch the incident. 

https://youtu.be/RLr9BXE6WMU?t=122

I like the tagline "The "(C)" in VAR stands for (c)ompetence".

There have been so many catastrophic decisions like that, it just begs the old Mixu question "What's the fucking point?". Another nail in the coffin of the game from an enjoyment perspective. [Falkirk joke goes here - Ed.]

Anyone watching the Merseyside derby will see why VAR isn’t going to do anything to cut out the bias towards the old firm.

Stonewall penalty ignored because it was against one of the big clubs, quel surprise.

Will be the exact same here.

41 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Anyone watching the Merseyside derby will see why VAR isn’t going to do anything to cut out the bias towards the old firm.

Stonewall penalty ignored because it was against one of the big clubs, quel surprise.

Will be the exact same here.

Yep. All it will do is give the officials two chances to give decisions to the  Old Firm. 

A timely reminder on Saturday at Pittodrie of why we need VAR in Scotland.

I heartily agree that is not to determine, by means of lines scribbled on the screen, whether a player's kneecap is a millimetre offside or if someone's toe has brushed an opponents slipper, causing them to crash to the ground in agony.

VAR is neccesary to prevent  incompetent clown officials from making howlers  on a weekly basis which affect the outcome of (vital?) matches.

Until our refs and assistants become semi capable of doing their jobs, VAR sadly will be an inevitable adjunct to the top flight matches.

I can appreciate there are some decentish plus arguments, but for me they're way outbalanced by the negative impact on the real live game. Och, looks like we're going to have to live with it (and pay for it) anyway. Can't wait to revisit this thread once it's up and running. Or not.
I don't see what's dubious about the penalty...he trips him