VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, GNU_Linux said:

Peak Cinch when the system goes out during a game due to a windows update.

'Rangers title chances die a death due to a Blue Screen of Death'.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye. Football let’s you down 99% of the time. The reason you return time and time again to such misery are the big moments of unbridled joy. 

I just don’t get that people are willing to sacrifice that. 

My team aren't.... we are getting relegated 

Yay ... I mean 

Would it be a stretch to say that generally those who are in favour of VAR are armchair fans, while supporters who attend games are very much against?

I say this as an attendee, who has gradually got more turned away from the enjoyment of football, as competitions have pandered to television coverage, both in Scotland and elsewhere.

For VAR to be good, in any league, they need to seriously reconsider how it is used. Because checking every minutia is not what it is intended for and not how football has developed over 200 years. And truthfully I don't see how that can be possible because almost everything is subjective and to some could be "clear and obvious" and to others it won't be.

17 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Would it be a stretch to say that generally those who are in favour of VAR are armchair fans, while supporters who attend games are very much against?

Feels that way to me. When you're at the match, you might rail against a dozen contentious decisions without being sure if you're right or wrong. And you forget about them after the match other than to use them as an excuse for not winning. It's all part of the game I know.

But TV - Sportscene is a great example nowadays - has become an exercise in did-the-referee-get-this-one right analysis that sucks the joy out of the game. Still, if you're an armchair fan and that's all you see, it's no surprise that you think the game needs VAR. 

Edited by Mr Heliums

I quite like the concept of VAR and have seen it used really well in various games I've attended and watched on TV but it is very dependant on the subjective opinions of the referee and the VAR. For that reason I am more than sceptical that it wont be a complete disaster over the next few years. 

The clear and obvious thing is evidently nonsense, as is checking if someone's boaby or big toe is offside. There should also be a limit on the number of replays the ref/VAR can use and most of it should be played at full speed because everything looks way, way worse than it actually is when slowed down and freeze-framed. If the VAR can't come to a decision in 4 or 5 replays, carry on with the ref's onfield decision.

So aye, quite like VAR in concept, think it'll be a shambles when used here. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m not having a go here, but can you define ‘using VAR correctly’ please?

My feeling would be that referees and the SFA have a very, very different definition for that to the vast majority of fans. Which is where the big problem lies. 

And that is part of the reason it can help. By using it correctly, I mean allowing the officials to allow the game to flow and then if there is an error, it is picked up afterwards. Often at the moment, the refs here just guess what a decision is if they have not seen it an they are human, so often that will be dictated by the crowd.

By having VAR it will help the refs get the decisions right, but will also allow the refs to explain to players why a decision has been made that in the heat of the game, I don't think they do as much as they used to.

When you watch a game with VAR on TV, you see a lot less arguing with the ref after a decision has been checked. In part, because the players know someone has reviewed, but also because they have had time to calm down.

I don't really want to be in the ground and not have the instant feel of a celebration. But, equally, there has been many times and a lot this season, where terrible decisions have been made that would materially change games. Take the last game I was physically at for example, St Johnstone v Livi. A blatant red card not picked up and blatant hand ball for a penalty that was either missed and ignored.

19 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

TV - Sportscene a great example over the past year - has become an exercise in did-the-referee-get-this-one right analysing decisions. If you're an armchair fan it's no surprise that you think the game needs VAR. 

This does my fucking box in.

MOTD and Sportscene regularly just turn into a referee review show, its chronic. Its just another example of these fuckwit, lazy ex-pros who would rather spend 5 mins talking about a refereeing decision than analysing the performances because that would involve them having to actually analyse the game like they are paid for.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

That sounds dull af tbh.

Like saying all you eat for dinner every night is egg and chips.

I go to junior football, I'm genuinely interested in what happens throughout the SPFL and the pyramid, I have a ST at Utd and go to Scotland games. All of life is there.

I genuinely don't know what Liverpool v Man City or Bayern v Real Madrid would add to that.

If I want to consume a sporting product as an all singing showbiz made for TV spectacular then the NFL is a million times more interesting than football. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye. Football let’s you down 99% of the time. The reason you return time and time again to such misery are the big moments of unbridled joy. 

I just don’t get that people are willing to sacrifice that. 

I think that people making the decisions simply don't get/don't care about that part as it has no effect on them as none of them pay in to games - and it isn't something that is easily quantifiable. 

The VAR debate has been interesting to me - as there undoubtedly is a commonly held, "absolutist" view point (which is perfectly fair and logical) that having every decision "correct" somehow trumps everything else.  It's just that a lot of people clearly don't view football in those terms and I don't think VAR has delivered that - or is capable of delivering that because there is still a level of subjectivity involved.

Edited by Swello

3 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

It'll all be worth it when the 1st stonewaller against an old firm side doesn't even get sent upstairs for review by Madden or Collum.

Will never happen. 

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

Only one team voted against fairness,  according to most on here VAR was not favoured by the majority of clubs.

I don't remember anyone on here talking about which clubs did and didn't want it.

Guest Flash
39 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I quite like the concept of VAR and have seen it used really well in various games I've attended and watched on TV but it is very dependant on the subjective opinions of the referee and the VAR. For that reason I am more than sceptical that it wont be a complete disaster over the next few years. 

The clear and obvious thing is evidently nonsense, as is checking if someone's boaby or big toe is offside. There should also be a limit on the number of replays the ref/VAR can use and most of it should be played at full speed because everything looks way, way worse than it actually is when slowed down and freeze-framed. If the VAR can't come to a decision in 4 or 5 replays, carry on with the ref's onfield decision.

So aye, quite like VAR in concept, think it'll be a shambles when used here. 

This. There should be a time limit on it and if they can’t come to a decision within the time, it wasn’t a clear and obvious error. Similarly, if they have to draw lines for an offside, the decision wasn’t obviously wrong.