VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I actually find the suspense of a VAR review adds to the excitement of a game. 

I mean I get that we now inhabit a world where folk like you jerk off as Dermot O'Leary takes 42 seconds to announce the winner of the first quarter final of Britain's Got The Pop Factor, but you know for me, the simple satisfaction of the ball rippling the back of the net was good enough.

I guess I now live in a time where I need to be teased for a couple of minutes about whether I'm allowed to celebrate, but I'm getting older, so at some point I'll start forgetting what it was I was meant to be celebrating.

Good times!

🙄

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I’ve never understood why seemingly a majority of fans are perfectly happy to see their clubs repeatedly cheated out of points by the incompetent refs that we have in Scotland. 

You just have to think back to the Scotland v Israel game in October for a great example of why VAR is needed. Lyndon Dykes scores a perfectly valid goal to equalise at 2-2 and the ref chalks it off in real time, Hampden is silenced, then the ref goes to the monitor and overturns his decision and the place goes nuts again. 5-10 years ago the ref’s mistake is allowed to stand and the game has a very different outcome. 

Similar with our Europa games, the naysayers have got this wrong.

9 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:
9 hours ago, Donathan said:

Do you think we are going to magic up new officials from thin air that will not give soft penalties to the old firm like?

This is my thoughts on this, the same guys will be looking at the same incidents on video. Whether you think they are cheating, corrupt or just plain shite. It's the same guys doing the same things.

I think (very) soft fouls or penalties are given via VAR more often than not. I don't think VAR is going to stop these people giving the slightest of nudge/clips/touches on a player who then launches themselves into the air and rolls around all the pens they want.

VAR will improve the accuracy of decision making, there isn’t really any doubt about that. 

The question is how much more accurate and is it worth the fundamental change to watching a game of football it causes to the match going fan? It’s a resounding no from me. 

I'd imagine VAR isn't a horrendous thing in the ground if you know what's happening. EPL clubs have huge screens showing fans whats being reviewed.

We'll all be sat for 2 minutes with no clue what's happening before a decision is made.

Genuine question given that there is apparently a vote this month - has a single club in any division consulted their supporters in any way?

It might seem rude to ask but it feels like if you’re about to make the biggest change to the matchday experience in decades, it would seem like good form to ask the daft b*****ds that keep the lights on. 

It would also seem to be the case that if you only started consulting days/weeks before a vote on something that has been long planned that you weren’t really too bothered what the result was. 

Regardless of what the fans think, it's coming in.  Aren't they doing this to keep the Refs on the UEFA list?  As in if Scotland don't have it, the Refs have no chance of doing European games, etc.  

I've only had one experience of VAR as a fan, and I didn't properly celebrate Che Adams' goal against Denmark as I assumed VAR would pull it back and check the possible offside.  It definitely played a part  in my experience as a fan that night.  Whether that would improve the more I got used to it, I don't know.

It's going to be a fucking car crash in Scottish football, though.  The same shit Refs will still be the ones making the decisions, whether it be on the pitch or behind a screen.  The idea that Celtic & Rangers will get less decisions is laughable!  They'll get shitloads more. Every bit of contact in the box (and they are in the opposition box far, far more than any other teams) and they'll go to ground and get the penalty.

Yeah it was always a question of when and not if it came in after it arrived in England. I'd be surprised if there was a full time, professional league without it by the end of the decade. There will be teething issues, mistakes and controversy, but overall it will be a positive for the game. 

10 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Do you think we are going to magic up new officials from thin air that will not give soft penalties to the old firm like?

This.

Kris Boyd etc get fifty looks at a replay and still manage to get it wrong, usually because they don't want to admit they were wrong in the first place. Can't see the referees being any different.

22 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

This

I totally agree that it’s fait accomplis but the “we know best” attitude from people that based on the way the game is run, clearly don’t, does my fucking head in. Most supporters might even welcome it but that will never be put to the test  

Clearly, the broadcast and print media will love VAR, so there will be no opposition from that side and clubs will argue that our league will be seen as tinpot (I assume by English folk) if we don’t have it  

Apart from anything else - I don’t really understand the benefit based on the money that needs to be sunk into it. If someone said that Motherwell had a million quid to invest over the next decade, who would genuinely think that VAR (and keeping our refs in foreign trips) was the best way to spend that?

We need limited appeals, like in tennis. Don't go to the video without an appeal. 

Otherwise everytime a corner comes in it's going to be a nightmare deciding which of the three pedantic penalties or four soft free kicks to give first. 

I do wonder what the general feeling among fans actually is. On here most folk are (rightly) against it, but I'm not sure that's shared by fans in Scotland at large.
Not that it matters mind, as clubs wouldn't imagine consulting their fans on this anyway.
Can see this shite passing unfortunately. Looks like it will be in the Premiership from next season. Thankfully that means that my club won't have it.

You haven't considered that referees are actually biased against my club and VAR will solve this so a lot of supporters will want it.