VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I do wonder what the general feeling among fans actually is. On here most folk are (rightly) against it, but I'm not sure that's shared by fans in Scotland at large.

I did wonder this myself. But I don't know anyone personally who owns up to being pro-VAR. I suppose they're probably out there, but I'm not sure there are many.

Among match-going fans I think it'll be tiny. There's probably an element just going with the crowd when they actually don't care either way, but it seems overwhelmingly negative to me.

24 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I did wonder this myself. But I don't know anyone personally who owns up to being pro-VAR. I suppose they're probably out there, but I'm not sure there are many.

Among match-going fans I think it'll be tiny. There's probably an element just going with the crowd when they actually don't care either way, but it seems overwhelmingly negative to me.

I would have liked to have seen fans of each team polled. There's two obvious clubs where I imagine a majority would be in favour, but after that I really have no idea how fans in general feel about it.

Like yourself, everyone I've talked to about it (almost all of whom are Pars fans) are against it.

Edited by DA Baracus

I'd be fine with VAR if it was only used for a quick check for a "clear and obvious" mistake (miles offside, blatant dive etc), if they're undecided after a replay from 2 angles then the referee's decision stands. Shouldn't take longer than the time it takes a keeper to get set for a goal kick anyway. 

Problem is it won't be that, and we'll get wobbly crayon lines to prove someone's offside because they've got a big nose. 

Edited by LiviLion

The only folk I've seen who are into the idea of VAR are the couch dwelling morons.

I don't trust the same helmets who make these mistakes to not make these mistakes while looking at a TV screen.

The wait in the Stadium is utter baws too. You have no idea what is happening then it's just thrust in your face. Something happened so here's the decision.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I would have liked to have seen fans of each team polled. There's two obvious clubs where I imagine a majority would be in favour, but after that I really have no idea how fans in general feel about it.

Like yourself, everyone I've talked to about it (almost all of whom are Pars fans) are against it.

It always amazes me that Rangers and @bennett are in favour of VAR in Scotland, and loads of us diddies are against it. It should see Rangers and Celtic get a fair amount less decisions in their favour over a season, which the rest of us should be celebrating. But my poor experience of watching a game covered by VAR on the TV is when a “goal” is scored. My immediate reaction is to think the move back and see if anything happened that would have the goal chalked off. At the moment when I’m at a match, when a goal is scored I might have a quick glance over at the linesman, but in a split second I know it’s been given. With VAR I know that I won’t be able to fully celebrate the ball hitting the back of the net, just in case... Get VAR tae f*ck. 

Been a season ticket holder since 2005 and I’ve already renewed for next year but that’ll probably be me finished after that if they bring VAR in, it’s use down south has stopped me watching that on telly and it’ll stop me chucking thousands of pounds every year into Scottish Football.

I’ll still go to the bigger games in all likelihood but going every week when the excitement of scoring a goal is completely diluted is just not for me.

Yeah, I just can't doubt that I'll make the 90-mile round trip every other week to watch my team's critical moments determined after the event by some wee guy with a TV.

It isn't what football's about (or at least it isn't what it's about to me)

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Hibs strongly in favour of VAR. To be fair, we have been on the wrong end of so many shockers recently, they probably think VAR can't make it any worse.

Unfortunately I think that most, if not all, Premiership and Championship clubs that have ambition to play in the Premiership will be in favour. The unknown is how League 1 and League 2 clubs will vote on something that will never effect them in the short  to medium term. I would imagine they’ll vote in favour and I hate to say that that is probably the reality.

Just now, kingjoey said:

Unfortunately I think that most, if not all, Premiership and Championship clubs that have ambition to play in the Premiership will be in favour. The unknown is how League 1 and League 2 clubs will vote on something that will never effect them in the short  to medium term. I would imagine they’ll vote in favour and I hate to say that that is probably the reality.

It's merely another confirmation (if we needed one) that the club's don't really give a f**k about the guys that shell out a hell of a lot of cash watching football.

They need to be careful. The "product", as our owner would describe it, is of a fairly dire standard - 2 clubs with massive budgets aside - and there are lots of people who could think of many other interesting uses for their cash.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

It always amazes me that Rangers and @bennett are in favour of VAR in Scotland, and loads of us diddies are against it. It should see Rangers and Celtic get a fair amount less decisions in their favour over a season, which the rest of us should be celebrating. But my poor experience of watching a game covered by VAR on the TV is when a “goal” is scored. My immediate reaction is to think the move back and see if anything happened that would have the goal chalked off. At the moment when I’m at a match, when a goal is scored I might have a quick glance over at the linesman, but in a split second I know it’s been given. With VAR I know that I won’t be able to fully celebrate the ball hitting the back of the net, just in case... Get VAR tae f*ck. 

Why are you tagging someone who famously has all notifications switched off?  Anyway...

I've seen VAR used in Europe and found that it adds suspense and excitement to the game, it also gives refs a wee bit of support with a bit of time to check game changing decisions. 

30 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

They need to be careful. The "product", as our owner would describe it, is of a fairly dire standard - 2 clubs with massive budgets aside - and there are lots of people who could think of many other interesting uses for their cash.

Especially now that everything is going up in cost, with more and bigger increases to come. Clubs themselves will be affected by the costs and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they passed those costs on to the fans. I get the impression that many clubs don't realise just how closer they are to pricing a lot of fans out for good.

I’ve never understood why seemingly a majority of fans are perfectly happy to see their clubs repeatedly cheated out of points by the incompetent refs that we have in Scotland. 

You just have to think back to the Scotland v Israel game in October for a great example of why VAR is needed. Lyndon Dykes scores a perfectly valid goal to equalise at 2-2 and the ref chalks it off in real time, Hampden is silenced, then the ref goes to the monitor and overturns his decision and the place goes nuts again. 5-10 years ago the ref’s mistake is allowed to stand and the game has a very different outcome. 

Because being on the end of bad decisions is not being "cheated". Football fans managed to survive for 150 years without having the magic wand that reduces the percentage of incorrect decisions from 1.5% to 0.8% or whatever it is.

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

Yeah, I just can't doubt that I'll make the 90-mile round trip every other week to watch my team's critical moments determined after the event by some wee guy with a TV.

It isn't what football's about (or at least it isn't what it's about to me)

Well as long as you're happy for your team's critical moments to be determined by an unsighted ref that's fine.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Because being on the end of bad decisions is not being "cheated". Football fans managed to survive for 150 years without having the magic wand that reduces the percentage of incorrect decisions from 1.5% to 0.8% or whatever it is.

It is when you have officials that consistently give soft penalties to the old firm clubs. Ultimately, I feel much better about decisions going against my club if they’ve been checked by qualified officials who don’t have to rely on the naked eye in real time. Not that I’m going to get that any time soon with us in league one, but as someone who watches plenty of international football, European competitions with VAR and the English premier league and other European leagues, I actually find the suspense of a VAR review adds to the excitement of a game. 

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It is when you have officials that consistently give soft penalties to the old firm clubs. Ultimately, I feel much better about decisions going against my club if they’ve been checked by qualified officials who don’t have to rely on the naked eye in real time. Not that I’m going to get that any time soon with us in league one, but as someone who watches plenty of international football, European competitions with VAR and the English premier league and other European leagues, I actually find the suspense of a VAR review adds to the excitement of a game. 

Do you think we are going to magic up new officials from thin air that will not give soft penalties to the old firm like?