VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Yorky said:

They can’t simply ignore var because it’s Celtic or Rangers.

They're the same officials. Of course they can. We've all seen the shit tip var is anyway. They still get it 'wrong'. 

36 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

They're the same officials. Of course they can. We've all seen the shit tip var is anyway. They still get it 'wrong'. 

So basically var take a look at it, it’s played back on tv for all to see, the ref is asked to look at it. We see all of this and they see in Rangers or Celtics favour every time because it’s Celtic and Rangers, it could be offside by a few inches and it would not matter to give one example. There is a huge difference between a split second decision and somethings that looked at over a longer period of time. Come on that taking the whole conspiracy thing to a new level. The thing I dislike about Var is the breaking up of the rather of the game, however as it’s developed it certainly gets way more right than it gets wrong.

Edited by Yorky

VAR has without doubt resolved a lot of decisions correctly that the ref has been quite wrong about and some cases shown to be completely incompetent.
Do things still go wrong? Yes, but many decisions are sorted and the correct outcome applied.
It seems the anti-VARers on here given the choice between living in a world of pro Celtic/Rangers refs giving decisions that could be turned on their head actually prefer the conspiracy world. 
200.gif

I'm glad it'll never be at my level of going-to-game experience.
Referees still manage to show their incompetence with VAR on a weekly basis in the EPL which, in my opinion, is far worse than a wrong call without VAR.
Mistakes still getting made and a drop in real time enjoyment? Not for me.

2 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

I'm glad it'll never be at my level of going-to-game experience.
Referees still manage to show their incompetence with VAR on a weekly basis in the EPL which, in my opinion, is far worse than a wrong call without VAR.
Mistakes still getting made and a drop in real time enjoyment? Not for me.

I wouldn't be too sure about that - VAR-Lite is rumoured to be introduced into the Irish League, Cymru Premier etc - so it's not inconceivable that it might reach the lower end of the SPFL.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2022 at 02:52, JamieThomas said:

Fair play to the lads that still want their club to pay to have a bent ref look at a video to f**k their club rather than pay no money to have a bent ref f**k their club.

Mike ‘simply the best’ McCurry on the Roofe/Davidson incident. 

Edited by Drew Brees

On 23/01/2022 at 15:50, accies1874 said:

Another contentious decision in England cleared up by having VAR. No one in the Premier League thread is discussing it thanks to VAR removing the controversy.

Jota or Kane? Both shining examples of how VAR gets it right all the time and as you say, removes the controversy

On 01/01/2022 at 19:43, Yorky said:

Any game on tv will work exactly the same way it does down south. It will be scrutinised for all to see whenever there is the need for var. There will be no hiding place old firm or not. They can’t simply ignore var because it’s Celtic or Rangers.

And yet we are still seeing terrible VAR decisions every week in England.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's not a question of if,it's a question of when M8.
It's coming and mistakes will be made.

Your first sentence is a complete non sequitur to my post, M√64.

As for the second one, yes, that's true, but if you can't see the benefit in seeing what neighbouring countries mess up and then consequently not repeat those mistakes, then there's no hope for you. Literally no hope.

5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Your first sentence is a complete non sequitur to my post, M√64.

As for the second one, yes, that's true, but if you can't see the benefit in seeing what neighbouring countries mess up and then consequently not repeat those mistakes, then there's no hope for you. Literally no hope.

I've said before it's more acceptable at the games involving VAR, mistakes in who's eyes?
The hope is getting more decisions right than wrong but that is subjective.

• 4 weeks later...

My standpoint has been, is, and always will be that I don’t want VAR anywhere near Scottish football. Whenever there is any contentious decision made in a Celtic or Rangers match these days, every pundit in the land, “if only we had VAR, it would have cleared that up”. Clearly, for anyone that has watched VAR in action, this is not the case. The money that would need to be spent to bring VAR into our game is such that you would need a guarantee that all decisions would be 100% correct, and that is never going to happen. The only part of the system which is 100% reliable is goal line technology, so no problem bringing that in, but that’s it.

The big bonus in Scottish football continuing to ignore the VAR system, is that it would totally piss off Kris Boyd, who is only interested when it is in Rangers favour anyway...and Bennett.

Edited by kingjoey

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

My standpoint has been, is, and always will be that I don’t want VAR anywhere near Scottish football. Whenever there is any contentious decision made in a Celtic or Rangers match these days, every pundit in the land, “if only we had VAR, it would have cleared that up”. Clearly, for anyone that has watched VAR in action, this is not the case. The money that would need to be spent to bring VAR into our game is such that you would need a guarantee that all decisions would be 100% correct, and that is never going to happen. The only part of the system which is 100% reliable is goal line technology, so no problem bringing that in, but that’s it.

The big bonus in Scottish football continuing to ignore the VAR system, is that it would totally piss off Kris Boyd, who is only interested when it is in Rangers favour anyway...and Bennett.

I would add to this that - in the case of England - they have multiple cameras, another remote ref overseeing contentious decisions / bringing to the attention of on field officials.

Where will these competent additional officials come from? There are only so many refs from Glasgow and Lanarkshire that can be called upon today.....................

I agree fully re goal line tech, but until / unless someone can tell me how we bring in VAR properly and pay for it, then GTF.