VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's always funny/depressing seeing VAR continue to be shite down in England but as soon as there's a dubious decision involving your team the losers are all "we NEED VAR now".

You'll all still think there's a conspiracy against you, lads, it's just you won't be able to celebrate goals as much and you often won't know why the game's being stopped.

59 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

You'll all still think there's a conspiracy against you, lads, it's just you won't be able to celebrate goals as much and you often won't know why the game's being stopped.

Having seen a few refereeing performances recently (Nick Walsh at Hampden anyone?) this is already the case half the time

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

It's always funny/depressing seeing VAR continue to be shite down in England but as soon as there's a dubious decision involving your team the losers are all "we NEED VAR now".

Then you see how well VAR worked at the Euros (until the english officials were involved) and other nations (I believe Australia has seen it used very successfully) which shows the issue isn't with the technology but the implementation and/or the training

Edited by Cptn Hooch

3 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Then you see how well VAR worked at the Euros (until the english officials were involved) and other nations (I believe Australia has seen it used very successfully) which shows the issue isn't with the technology but the implementation and/or the training

I agree, but after years of seeing how well trained our existing refs are, are you really confident we won't just end up making the English look good?

6 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

I agree, but after years of seeing how well trained our existing refs are, are you really confident we won't just end up making the English look good?

There is certainly a risk involved with anything new. Perhaps it would allow some newer/younger/more competent (delete as appropriate) referees to step up

1 minute ago, Cptn Hooch said:

There is certainly a risk involved with anything new. Perhaps it would allow some newer/younger/more competent (delete as appropriate) referees to step up

We can only hope, because the current crop as as bad as I can remember.

I'm in favour of VAR and think it would work well here within a decade, say - but I fear a completely brutal decade of transition. I also worry that we'll still be getting marginal decisions more often than not going in favour of the Old Firm, VAR or not.

Given how important match day income from fans is to the Scottish game, it's ridiculous that (as far as I'm aware) not a single Scottish football fan has been asked for their opinion on the introduction of VAR which at the moment seems like its inevitable. 

Sitting in a freezing Fir Park in January waiting 5 minutes for someone in a trailer somewhere to draw wee lines to decide whether Tony Watt's big toe is offside isn't for me - especially when those in the stadium won't have a clue what's going on or the reason for the VAR check half the time. The main drawback for me though will be losing the ability to be able to properly celebrate a goal as there will definitely be a wee doubt in the back of your mind that a goal is going to be referred to VAR.

Maybe when they reveal how exactly it's going to be used in Scotland it wont be quite as bad, but surely the money that it's going to cost (almost £1m per season) could be far better spent on other ways to improve refereeing standards - full time refs and goal line technology for a start. 

Edited by dezz

Given how important match day income from fans is to the Scottish game, it's ridiculous that (as far as I'm aware) not a single Scottish football fan has been asked for their opinion on the introduction of VAR which at the moment seems like its inevitable. 

I reckon the majority of fans will want it because they think there's a conspiracy against them and would rather talk about officiating than football. Then VAR will become the focus of the conspiracy, then something else, then something else. Meanwhile we'll be stuck with VAR while they bleat about getting foreign refs or something.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I reckon the majority of fans will want it because they think there's a conspiracy against them and would rather talk about officiating than football.

I reckon the majority of fans will want it because they'll have been told relentlessly that we need it.

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:
4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

The Euros had the cream of the continent's officials so it's obviously going to be better than a domestic league, and it also had four VAR officials for each game rather the normal two.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Sitting in a freezing Fir Park in January waiting 5 minutes for someone in a trailer somewhere to draw wee lines to decide whether Tony Watt's big toe is offside isn't for me - especially when those in the stadium won't have a clue what's going on or the reason for the VAR check half the time. The main drawback for me though will be losing the ability to be able to properly celebrate a goal as there will definitely be a wee doubt in the back of your mind that a goal is going to be referred to VAR.

Maybe when they reveal how exactly it's going to be used in Scotland it wont be quite as bad, but surely the money that it's going to cost (almost £1m per season) could be far better spent on other ways to improve refereeing standards - full time refs and goal line technology for a start. 

Fans attending games will probably say refs are shite and moan about a goal when they find out it was offside on their phone or hear about it on Sportsound within minutes...

By the time we get VAR there will probably be semi automated offside available, which is being trialled just now at the Arab Cup.

The two Richarlison goals ruled out last night for Everton were sorted within 60 and 80 seconds of the ball going into the net. You can hear the tannoy announcements saying that there is a VAR check for offside (plus on the big screen) so fans shouldn't be completely in the dark (especially as there's limited circumstances when VAR is used). 

Weirdly, despite those two goals being ruled out it didn't seem to affect the celebrations from the Everton fans: https://streamwo.com/file/61ae830da4a1b

GLT would be £2.5million for the 10 grounds that would need it.