VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It’s interesting that people seem to think the OF will benefit from VAR decision. They currently benefit from horrendous on field refereeing decision and VAR being brought in will mitigate this. 

That's always been my view too. It's currently easy for a ref to (often legitimately) to claim they were unsighted or unsure when there is a mistake. It will be harder to be a) influenced or b) hide behind an excuse when everyone can see what is been showing and they get the benefit of replays.

In England, it feels as though the bigger teams benefit from VAR more because of a combo of them being on TV more and so we are watching the games and also, because they will likely be attacking more (same reason Rangers and Celtic statistically get more penalties up here). 

Never liked VAR.

Spoiler

Oh wait, Mr VAR is having a look...

GOAL Rangers 2-0 Brondby

Kemar Roofe

Oh my, the goal is given... After a long wait, Ibrox erupts.

But sometimes it's ok.

Spoiler

Like most people at Ibrox and watching on the telly, Rangers boss Steven Gerrard is stunned that VAR did not award a penalty for a clear trip on Joe Aribo.

On 15/10/2021 at 12:29, Donathan said:

VAR being brought in will mitigate this

It's a nice (if naive) thought.

With the same (poor at best) officials administering it, do you really think it'll make a real difference? 

I somehow doubt it. 

VAR seemed to work well at the euros, but less so in England and the uefa team competitions. 

I do believe we would be better having full time properly paid refs though that would attract a higher standard of ref.

I also think it would be worthwhile having a joined up system with England. We could share refs and resource. Good experience for our refs, and gives us more variety in Whistler as well.

1 hour ago, Chonky said:

VAR seemed to work well at the euros, but less so in England and the uefa team competitions. 

I do believe we would be better having full time properly paid refs though that would attract a higher standard of ref.

I also think it would be worthwhile having a joined up system with England. We could share refs and resource. Good experience for our refs, and gives us more variety in Whistler as well.

Willie Collum and Bobby Madden would get 1 game in England and the be told never to return as they absolutely waste a game of football.

They would just take one look at Clancy’s highlight reel and tell him not to bother.

refs up here are not biased they just inept and absolutely shite at what they do.

I'd rather have properly-trained, quality refs that don't get pressurised by the OF. I don't want the flow and spontaneity of the game getting disrupted by the ref going to watch telly.

As we've seen elsewhere, VAR decisions can still be argued about and contested. So I think it would work in favour of the uglies, too.

28 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

I'd rather have properly-trained, quality refs that don't get pressurised by the OF. I don't want the flow and spontaneity of the game getting disrupted by the ref going to watch telly.

As we've seen elsewhere, VAR decisions can still be argued about and contested. So I think it would work in favour of the uglies, too.

Aye it's cute that Glass thinks VAR would change decisions against the erse cheeks. They'll either ignore it and not intervene against the ref's decision, claiming it wasn't clear and obv, or ask him to go look at the telly, and the ref will stick to his decision. No doubt it'll occasionally work correctly but i've seen too many times where it still doesn't, and up here there are only 2 teams that matter, and they'll still get the dodgy calls going their way.

What they also forget is, decisions will also go against them, Glass, ones he was getting away with, swings and roundabouts. Win some you lose some.

Surprised the top flight teams want to piss away 80K each a season for VAR tbh, it'll be carnage when it still doesn't get some big decisions correct, and they'll question why they're forking out all that dosh.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

• 1 month later...

Tonights game has seen calls for VAR to be introduced,  which echoes earlier calls from Scotland's most progressive club..

Rangers have once again called for the introduction of VAR after a number of controversial incidents occurred in Sunday’s 2-1 win over Celtic at Parkhead

In a lengthy statement on Rangers’ official website on Monday, managing director Stewart Robertson said: “This is not a criticism of referees because they often have to perform under very difficult conditions and in a highly emotive environment, as do our players and coaches.

“The speed at which the modern game is played also means it is extremely difficult to make split-second calls with the degree of certainty required.

“We believe the introduction of VAR would help referees enormously and reduce the number of wrong decisions which sometimes have a dramatic effect on the outcome of matches

Tonights game has seen calls for VAR to be introduced,  which echoes earlier calls from Scotland's most progressive club..

Rangers have once again called for the introduction of VAR after a number of controversial incidents occurred in Sunday’s 2-1 win over Celtic at Parkhead

In a lengthy statement on Rangers’ official website on Monday, managing director Stewart Robertson said: “This is not a criticism of referees because they often have to perform under very difficult conditions and in a highly emotive environment, as do our players and coaches.

“The speed at which the modern game is played also means it is extremely difficult to make split-second calls with the degree of certainty required.

“We believe the introduction of VAR would help referees enormously and reduce the number of wrong decisions which sometimes have a dramatic effect on the outcome of matches

Progressive club? Your fans were heard on TV last night clearly singing that they were up to their knees in ****** blood.

21 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Progressive club? Your fans were heard on TV last night clearly singing that they were up to their knees in ****** blood.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that the boards of both Celtic and Rangers won't give a flying f**k about their fans behaviour this week.

And why should they? Both the SPFL and SFA pretty much do what they want, when they want.

It's almost like those two clubs run Scottish football.........

12 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I may be wrong, but I suspect that the boards of both Celtic and Rangers won't give a flying f**k about their fans behaviour this week.

And why should they? Both the SPFL and SFA pretty much do what they want, when they want.

It's almost like those two clubs run Scottish football.........

Nah, they don't run Scottish football, that's not needed it's already being run for their benefit

41 minutes ago, Ric said:

Shall we run a bet on how soon, after VAR is introduced, certain clubs who fall foul of it start to make claims about it's accuracy?

Gonna wait until that robot VAR for offsides gets the greenlight and spend the next 40 years arguing if MIT is one of their schools or one of their schools.