VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Fans should just adapt tbh. Instead of celebrating when the ball hits the net, you can celebrate once the VAR check is complete. 

Yeah, completely, that sounds like LOTS of fun. Instead of celebrating when the ball hits the net in a state of ecstasy and adrenaline, we simply wait to see if the goal is actually allowed to stand before we give it a much more muted celebration.

I found some interesting results from a poll carried out previously regarding VAR. From 2,100 responses only 30% believed VAR has improved the game whereas 44% actually think it has made football worse. 

Source: VAR: Hit or miss? Fans' poll on football's most controversial debate - BBC Sport

Edited by AJF

Sitting through a turgid 90 mins at a Scottish Fitba ground in December only to have a 94th minute winner scored that we can't really celebrate properly because we have to wait for a two minute VAR check to see if someone farted on the attacker in the build up. What a matchday experience. 

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

Yeah, completely, that sounds like LOTS of fun. Instead of celebrating when the ball hits the net in a state of ecstasy and adrenaline, we simply wait to see if the goal is actually allowed to stand before we give it a much more muted celebration.

Sounds like football to be fair. 

the match day fan just being told to ‘adapt’ to everything in football. 

Queues for vaccine passports? Just turn up an hour early in the freezing cold. 

No idea what’s going on with VAR? Just wait until the check is over!

the list goes on. 

In order for VAR to "work" there will have to be a concerted effort to inform the crowd. Just drawing a box and indicating an indirect free kick won't cut it. Will be interesting to see if they try to do anything in that regard, I doubt it tho. Can see loads of good days out and #scenes ruined while the folk who pay to go to games are left in the dark. 

5 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

In order for VAR to "work" there will have to be a concerted effort to inform the crowd. Just drawing a box and indicating an indirect free kick won't cut it. Will be interesting to see if they try to do anything in that regard, I doubt it tho. Can see loads of good days out and #scenes ruined while the folk who pay to go to games are left in the dark. 

No more pitch invasions at the Tony Macaroni Arena as you wait to see if the goal stands or not.

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Spaghettiad incursions > Firhill invasions 

4017BBAE00000578-0-image-a-12_1494243406067.jpg

Glorious moments such as this will be lost forever if VAR is introduced in my opinion. And this is not said with any hint of sarcasm, I'm deadly serious haha.

Just now, AJF said:

Glorious moments such as this will be lost forever if VAR is introduced in my opinion. And this is not said with any hint of sarcasm, I'm deadly serious haha.

No they wouldn't, everyone still goes tits before realising there's a check. 

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

No they wouldn't, everyone still goes tits before realising there's a check. 

I think the first time a set of fans are stung for wildly celebrating and invading the pitch, only for it to then be overturned by VAR and have the opposition fans rinse them for it then you'll gradually see it die off.

8 hours ago, Donathan said:

There’s no reason why you can’t invade a pitch a few seconds later, is there? 

The spontaneity is gone, and euphoria dialed down a notch or two, just isn't quite the same. Plus the stewards will have had a few minutes to be a bit better prepared to stop it.