VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

VAR could legitimately have ruled out the second Israel goal for handball, and the last-minute winner for Hendry's clear tug of a jersey. In short, the outcome of that game was the hostage of TV analysis and the decisions of VAR analysts. I was honestly watching the replay of the winner thinking they're going to disallow that.

Suspect support for VAR is highest amongst those who don't actually turn up to games. Spectators would have no idea what was happening in these VAR cases. Totally sucks the spontaneity out of a sport which relies on spontaneity for its excitement.

I actually thought that about Hendry's flick on, you could see from one angle he had a fistful of the defender's jersey. I thought for a moment it would be ruled out and it could easily have been. 

21 minutes ago, Donathan said:

There wouldn’t have been a 94th minute winner if not for VAR…. It would have been an equaliser.

We’d have also drawn 0-0 in Austria and the group would look very different as we’d have been screwed out of 4 points.

That to me is far more important than some shite about “enjoyment in the stadium”. I’ll admit though, I’m yet to attend a football match with VAR in operation. That will change in the next week as I have tickets to the Leicester v Man Utd game on Saturday, so will comment back then.

I do think they could do with a better system of communicating VAR reviews to the crowd, but that’s not a reason to avoid using VAR itself.

Your argument seems to be ‘I like VAR because my team won’ which isn’t ever a great look. 

Also in what way is ‘enjoyment in the stadium’ some shite? 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Your argument seems to be ‘I like VAR because my team won’ which isn’t ever a great look. 

Also in what way is ‘enjoyment in the stadium’ some shite? 

No my argument is that I like VAR because it reduces the number of wrong decisions.

If there had been a genuine foul at the winning goal and VAR had chalked it off, none of us would have any right to complain. 

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

No my argument is that I like VAR because it reduces the number of wrong decisions.

If there had been a genuine foul at the winning goal and VAR had chalked it off, none of us would have any right to complain. 

There was, Hendry was clearly tugging the guys shirt, would've been soft as f**k but if VAR had spotted it we'd just have to suck it up because they always get it right and never get it wrong. This is the problem, it's still subjective. 

10 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

There was, Hendry was clearly tugging the guys shirt, would've been soft as f**k but if VAR had spotted it we'd just have to suck it up because they always get it right and never get it wrong. This is the problem, it's still subjective. 

I would suggest that several qualified officials with the benefit of multiple angles and thinking time are less likely to f**k up than a single referee in the heat of the moment 

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

Because it’s presence completely fucking ruined my enjoyment of a 94th minute winner.

And also after the 2nd goal no one in the ground had a fucking clue what was going on the whole time, I’m assuming you don’t go to games and only watch on telly because it was a fucking shambles.

Not sure what you mean by this? I saw that it was disallowed almost immediately then I was hoping VAR would have a look while everyone was protesting.

There wouldn’t have been a 94th minute winner if not for VAR…. It would have been an equaliser.

We’d have also drawn 0-0 in Austria and the group would look very different as we’d have been screwed out of 4 points.

You are aware that what happened after Dyke's goal wouldn't have played out the same way if the goal had been disallowed.

1 minute ago, Loonytoons said:

You are aware that what happened after Dyke's goal wouldn't have played out the same way if the goal had been disallowed.

It’s a simplistic outlook of course but the point is we’d be 2-1 down without a huge amount of time left 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Not sure what you mean by this? I saw that it was disallowed almost immediately then I was hoping VAR would have a look while everyone was protesting.

But the fact a VAR review was being considered wasn't communicated to the support, it didn't seem like that was going to be the case at any point. People are just left standing around confused and wondering what's going on, something that wouldn't have happened in that situation pre-VAR.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

There was no indication there was a VAR check going on until the referee ran over to the screen, the play was just stopped without anyone having any idea what was going on. 

1 minute ago, Loonytoons said:

It's not simplistic, it's just plain wrong, as is telling people that it's "shite" that their enjoyment of a goal is lessened due to VAR.

What people are telling you when they say that is that they want their team to be allowed to score fake goals.

It’s absolutely bizarre.

The good news is that it’s here to stay. 

What people are telling you when they say that is that they want their team to be allowed to score fake goals.

It’s absolutely bizarre.

The good news is that it’s here to stay. 

All the attributes of a troll post tbqh.

ETA you are actually aware of what the result of the VAR decision was for Dykes' goal aren't you?

5 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

All the attributes of a troll post tbqh.

ETA you are actually aware of what the result of the VAR decision was for Dykes' goal aren't you?

Yes, the ref wrongly ruled it out for a high foot in the build up, the VAR official challenged the ruling on the field and asked the ref to look at the monitor which he did, and the goal was given 

Scottish football or Scotland for that matter,just dosnt do change do's it......??

It took us ages to get any sort of a pyramid system up and running and now VAR is the new demon in the room......

Minterland we should be called,so small minded its unbelievable.

"Oh let's no do anything to upset the apple cart",tragic stuff ..........

Edited by Whitburn Vale